Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Choc Cake

10 posts in this topic

I made a classic while cake tonight with choc frosting and it did not turn out well, I wanted to cry! :(

I got the recipe from my only gluten-free cookbook, The Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids. I was very "heavy" and looked like it was not "done". I am 99.9% sure I followed the recipe correctly.

Does anyone have a recipe for a cake that turns out a little fluffy and GOOD????

Starting a new year, this will be the first year for gluten-free birthdays for my household and I really want to be proud of my cakes and be able to enjoy them.

Any suggestions :(

Ads by Google:

I posted a yellow cake recipe in the recipe section that I use all the time. I top it with some homestyle vanilla cherry frosting or milk chocolate from duncin heinz. It is yummy!!

Enjoy-

Jessica :rolleyes:

Hi Stacie,

I have heard nothing but good things about hte recipe that Angel posted, though I have not tried it yet. But I also thought you might like to try this one too if you are looking for a chocolate cake, I made it it my last class and it was oh so yummy!

Depending on your oven, you may need to bake it longer than the time written. I serve mine with a chocolate cream cheese icing.

gluten-free chocolate cake w/ cream cheese frosting

ingredients:

(makes 1 - 9

Tried the chocolate cake made w/citrus flavored soda, but did not have good results. The cake was heavy and dry. The following is one of the best I've found.

Yogurt Chocolate Cake (variation from GFG Cooks Fast & Healthy)

2 c. gluten-free flour mix 1/2 c. (1 stick) margarine or butter

1 tsp. xanthan gum 1/2 c. cocoa

2 tsp. baking powder 2 eggs

1 tsp. baking soda 1 1/3 c. sugar

Pinch of salt 1/2 c. plain yogurt

1 c. boiling water 2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla

Heat oven to 350F. Spray bundt or tube pan with vegetable spray. Blend first 5 ingredients and set aside. In large bowl of mixer, combine water, margarine & cocoa and stir until margarine is melted. Beat eggs until foamy. Add with sugar to cocoa mixture and blend well. Stir in dry ingredients until smooth. Add yogurt & vanilla and mix well. Pour into prepared pan and bake approx. 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly before turning onto serving plate. Cake can be frosted or drizzled with chocolate or vanilla glaze, etc.

Please let me know how you like it. Am posting Angel Food Cake recipes in recipe file.

Jo Ann,

Did you try this reicpe that I posted above or the one in the Bette Hagmans dessert book? Cuz I have never turned out a dry or heavy cake, it's actually very light, almost fluffy. I wonder what happened, I use this recipe in my gluten-free cooking class and it always went over really well, especially when I made it with the chocolate.

Sorry it didn't work for you, that bums me out. I hope that others will try it though, it really is extermely good, I actually put it in my pile of recipes for my book because it's been so popular.

Kathleen, sorry I did not have good results with your cake recipe. It was the one posted in this section. I do find that the weather (moisture in the air, etc) can affect gluten-free baking. Also, I use Asian flours which are very finely ground; don't know if this makes a difference. So far the best cakes I've made were Angel Food Cakes (white and chocolate). They are very light, and the whole family enjoys them. I'm still trying to find a decent white bread recipe. Last mix tried was Bob's Red Mill, and my grandson didn't like the flavor (bean and sorgham flour), although the bread was the closest to "real" bread so far. I just keep trying, but exchanging ideas and recipes is a big help. Thanks! Jo Ann

ANGEL FOOD CAKE Ohh my god!

Yummmmmm, YOu have to send me that recipie!! I absolutely LOVE Angel food cake and havent had it or really any other sweets since going gluten-free a year+ ago.

Thanksssss soooo much!

-Heather

Angel Food Cake

1/2 c. cornstarch

1/3 c. potato starch

3/4 tsp. xanthan gum

3/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/4 c. egg whites (appprox. 8 or 9 large eggs)

1 Tblsp. water

1 tsp. cream of tartar

2 tsp. vanilla flavoring

1/3 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In separate bowl, combine cornstarch, potato starch, xanthan gum, 3/4 c. sugar, & salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, water, cream of tartar, & vanilla. Mix until frothy. While continuing to beat, slowly add 1/3 c. sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in flour mixture until no lumps remain. Put batter into ungreased angel food cake pan. Press batter down to remove any large air spaces. Bake 35-40 min., until golden brown and cracks are dry. Invert pan over glass bottle to cool. When cool, remove from pan. Serves 12.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake can be made by changing the first 3 ingredients to the following:

1/4 c. cornstarch

1/4 c. potato starch

1/4 c. cocoa

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

The remainder is just the same as the Angel Food Cake.

Our whole family enjoys these cakes, and it pleases my Celiac grandson what the rest of the family likes "his" dessert.

Hope you enjoy them! Jo Ann

I posted a yellow cake recipe in the recipe section that I use all the time. I top it with some homestyle vanilla cherry frosting or milk chocolate from duncin heinz. It is yummy!!

Jessica,

Can you point me to that recipe? I'm new to the site and can't find the recipe section. It that a separate section of the site, or part of this message board? I'm so lost :blink: Thanks!!!

Melanie

Sure....just go here: yellow cake recipe Enjoy!!

-Jessica :rolleyes: