- - - - -

Choc Cake

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:27 PM

I made a classic while cake tonight with choc frosting and it did not turn out well, I wanted to cry! :(

I got the recipe from my only gluten-free cookbook, The Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids. I was very "heavy" and looked like it was not "done". I am 99.9% sure I followed the recipe correctly.

Does anyone have a recipe for a cake that turns out a little fluffy and GOOD????

Starting a new year, this will be the first year for gluten-free birthdays for my household and I really want to be proud of my cakes and be able to enjoy them.

Any suggestions :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:33 PM

I posted a yellow cake recipe in the recipe section that I use all the time. I top it with some homestyle vanilla cherry frosting or milk chocolate from duncin heinz. It is yummy!!

Enjoy-
Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:36 AM

Hi Stacie,
I have heard nothing but good things about hte recipe that Angel posted, though I have not tried it yet. But I also thought you might like to try this one too if you are looking for a chocolate cake, I made it it my last class and it was oh so yummy!
Depending on your oven, you may need to bake it longer than the time written. I serve mine with a chocolate cream cheese icing.

gluten-free chocolate cake w/ cream cheese frosting

ingredients:
(makes 1 - 9 square pan)

1 C rice flour
C tapioca flour
t xanthan gum
1 t baking powder
t salt
C butter flavor Crisco
C sugar
3 oz (about 3 squares) semisweet chocolate, melted
2 eggs
t vanilla
C plus 1 T citrus flavored carbonated beverage or club soda

Heat oven to 350. Coat pan with non stick spray and set aside. In medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, tapioca, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt.

In the bowl of your mixer, beat the Crisco and sugar until fluffy. Add melted chocolate and mix until incorporated. Add eggs one at a time and mix to combine, finally add vanilla.

Alternately add dry mixture and club soda until just blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 45 minutes. Edges should be pulling away from the sides of the pan and the center should be springy to the touch. gluten-free cakes will fall like a rock if not cooked completely to set the structure. Cake is very moist, so if you need to extend the cooking time, go ahead.

Let cake cool completely before icing or slicing.

Variations
white cake: omit the melted chocolate and proceed as directed.
spice cake: add 2 t apple or pumpkin pie spice to the dry mix.
lemon / orange cake: add the zest of one orange or lemon to the shortening mixture and use the juice of 1 orange or lemon to replace part of the club soda.

Chocolate cream cheese frosting:
4 oz dark chocolate
1 T butter
6 oz cream cheese
8 oz powdered sugar
t vanilla extract

Melt chocolate and butter over a double boiler, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool for just a few minutes. Place cream cheese in the bowl of your mixer and beat with the paddle attachment for 1 2 minutes or until soft and free of lumps. With mixer running add sugar 1/3 at a time until incorporated. Add vanilla. Finally drizzle in melted chocolate until fully incorporated. Taste for sweetness; add more sugar if necessary. Spread on cooled cake. Makes about 2 cups frosting.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#4 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:11 PM

Tried the chocolate cake made w/citrus flavored soda, but did not have good results. The cake was heavy and dry. The following is one of the best I've found.
Yogurt Chocolate Cake (variation from GFG Cooks Fast & Healthy)
2 c. gluten-free flour mix 1/2 c. (1 stick) margarine or butter
1 tsp. xanthan gum 1/2 c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder 2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda 1 1/3 c. sugar
Pinch of salt 1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 c. boiling water 2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla

Heat oven to 350F. Spray bundt or tube pan with vegetable spray. Blend first 5 ingredients and set aside. In large bowl of mixer, combine water, margarine & cocoa and stir until margarine is melted. Beat eggs until foamy. Add with sugar to cocoa mixture and blend well. Stir in dry ingredients until smooth. Add yogurt & vanilla and mix well. Pour into prepared pan and bake approx. 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly before turning onto serving plate. Cake can be frosted or drizzled with chocolate or vanilla glaze, etc.

Please let me know how you like it. Am posting Angel Food Cake recipes in recipe file.

#5 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 11:54 PM

Jo Ann,
Did you try this reicpe that I posted above or the one in the Bette Hagmans dessert book? Cuz I have never turned out a dry or heavy cake, it's actually very light, almost fluffy. I wonder what happened, I use this recipe in my gluten-free cooking class and it always went over really well, especially when I made it with the chocolate.

Sorry it didn't work for you, that bums me out. I hope that others will try it though, it really is extermely good, I actually put it in my pile of recipes for my book because it's been so popular.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#6 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

Kathleen, sorry I did not have good results with your cake recipe. It was the one posted in this section. I do find that the weather (moisture in the air, etc) can affect gluten-free baking. Also, I use Asian flours which are very finely ground; don't know if this makes a difference. So far the best cakes I've made were Angel Food Cakes (white and chocolate). They are very light, and the whole family enjoys them. I'm still trying to find a decent white bread recipe. Last mix tried was Bob's Red Mill, and my grandson didn't like the flavor (bean and sorgham flour), although the bread was the closest to "real" bread so far. I just keep trying, but exchanging ideas and recipes is a big help. Thanks! Jo Ann

#7 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:10 AM

ANGEL FOOD CAKE Ohh my god!
Yummmmmm, YOu have to send me that recipie!! I absolutely LOVE Angel food cake and havent had it or really any other sweets since going gluten-free a year+ ago.

Thanksssss soooo much!
-Heather
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

#8 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:01 PM

Angel Food Cake

1/2 c. cornstarch
1/3 c. potato starch
3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. egg whites (appprox. 8 or 9 large eggs)
1 Tblsp. water
1 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1/3 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In separate bowl, combine cornstarch, potato starch, xanthan gum, 3/4 c. sugar, & salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, water, cream of tartar, & vanilla. Mix until frothy. While continuing to beat, slowly add 1/3 c. sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in flour mixture until no lumps remain. Put batter into ungreased angel food cake pan. Press batter down to remove any large air spaces. Bake 35-40 min., until golden brown and cracks are dry. Invert pan over glass bottle to cool. When cool, remove from pan. Serves 12.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake can be made by changing the first 3 ingredients to the following:
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. potato starch
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
The remainder is just the same as the Angel Food Cake.

Our whole family enjoys these cakes, and it pleases my Celiac grandson what the rest of the family likes "his" dessert.
Hope you enjoy them! Jo Ann

#9 justmel74

justmel74

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:34 AM

I posted a yellow cake recipe in the recipe section that I use all the time. I top it with some homestyle vanilla cherry frosting or milk chocolate from duncin heinz. It is yummy!!

Jessica,

Can you point me to that recipe? I'm new to the site and can't find the recipe section. It that a separate section of the site, or part of this message board? I'm so lost :blink: Thanks!!!

Melanie

#10 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:59 PM

Sure....just go here: yellow cake recipe Enjoy!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: