This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Chef

justme

justme Enthusiast

Is anyone here a gluten free chef? I've been considering a career change (I am 21 and just graduated from college in a field I dislike) and cooking has always been an interest of mine.. I was curious to find out how Celiacs do in the field.. do you think there would be a demand for a celiac chef?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beaglemania Rookie

I'm not sure how well they do, I'd hire you though :)

lorka150 Collaborator

justme - i'm on a similar path but refuse to cook/bake with gluten. my sister is a pastry chef and a cook and is going to open up a business on the side, and i am going to do allergen baking and cooking for her business. that way, her guests never have to second guess having cross-contamination, because they will be 'safe' in my kitchen. personally, i would never use gluten and casein in my baking or cooking, as this is an activity for me, not a potential threat to my health... i like the better safe than sorry policy :)

either way - good luck!

GFBetsy Rookie

I know of at least one celebrity that employs a gluten-free chef. I've also had people request that I bake for their autistic children. That is one place where you might be able to make such a career work for you, and help overwhelmed parents at the same time.

penguin Community Regular

I read an article recently saying that the gluten-free market was set to boom (along with the rest of the food industry) within the next few years. The culinary school I'm enrolled in thought enough of the potential of the gluten-free lifestyle to accomodate me :)

hineini Enthusiast

Bauman College in Berkeley, CA has a program where you can learn to be a natural foods chef - Many of their grads go on to become personal chefs or specialty chefs for ppl with special diets. Betcha they would be quite accomodating to someone who was gluten-free. In fact, I think some of the people who run some of the gluten-free bakeries around here graduated from there. There is a LOT of money to be made in specialty foods... Whether as a personal chef, or opening a restaurant, or starting a food manufacturing operation or bakery.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Rahma
    Newest Member
    Rahma
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Bev in Milw
      Checkouts gluten-free recipes at twww.redstaryeast.com We tried a bread machine years ago and weren’t happy with results. Bread machines have pre-set rise & bake times.  Unfortunately, the program doesn’t adjust to slight differences when measuring, relative humidity or temperature of ingredients & in kitchens.  Lots of efforts for ONE odd- sized loaf that hard to cut into useable slices.  College-aged son found best use for bread machine was as heavy duty mixer that ‘kept dust in the box.’  He would pre-measure ingredients for 2-3 loaves & use machine mix up individual batches.      Since gluten-free bread needs  to rise only once, each recipe of dough went into a loaf pan. Pans sat counter to rise—time dependent of temp in kitchen. Then, baked in oven until he, not machine, decided it was done.     Took ~10 min extra up front to measure & mix additions but adds nothing to rise & bake times.     Loaves are great for slicing (Slice extra before freezing!). One mess to clean up, saves time & energy since you need to bake  as is half as often (If  you plan to bake lots more than bread, opt for KitchenAid/ heavy duty mixer instead.  Cover with dish towel to capture dust!)     Personally, I’m sure I had as a kid since I’ve never been a fan  of bread. .  Have been wrapping corn tortillas around things for 40+ years.  Can still get a dozen 12-pks of tortillas for same or less than price as 1 load of gluten-free bread. PLUS. the tortillas have more nutrients!         
    • CelestialScribe
      Welcome to the forum. You are lucky because in Korean food, many classic meals such as bibimbap without sauce, barbecue meats and some kinds of soups generally do not have gluten. But it is a good idea to confirm with the restaurant workers for safety reasons. Regarding certain locations, I enjoy going to places such as Plant in Seoul and Sprout in Busan. Moreover, using applications like HappyCow or TripAdvisor can assist you to discover additional choices in the regions you plan to visit. One big tip: it is good to know some important Korean sentences, for example 'I cannot eat gluten' (geulluteuneul meogeul su eopseoyo)  or 'Does this have gluten?' (igeoe neun geulluteuni deureo innayo?) because they can be very helpful. If you are considering getting a local guide, I'd suggest this one https://gowithguide.com/korea They were very helpful when I needed to find places with gluten-free food options because they provide tours tailored to your preferences. Good luck with your travels! 🍻
    • RMJ
      It is concerning.  Unfortunately a lot of doctors don’t know a lot about celiac disease, even some gastroenterologists.  Here is an article for you: Celiac disease and miscarriage I hope you have a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby!
    • Katiec123
      @RMJ   this is really concerning and my GP has said none of this to me! 
    • RMJ
      Undiagnosed (and thus untreated) celiac disease is associated with a higher chance of miscarriage. The downside of continuing to eat gluten now is increased chance of miscarriage. The downside of stopping gluten now and having to restart later to get a clear, official diagnosis is that you might have worse symptoms eating gluten after being gluten free, but it wouldn’t affect your baby. I know which one I would choose!