Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Moving In With Boyfriend....

11 posts in this topic

I need some advice. I have just started being gluten-free and have noticed a change, especially in my energy level, but every once in a while I still have "emergencies"! I am moving in with my boyfriend within the next few weeks and am a little nervous as to how I should handle this. I mean, what if I clog up the toilet at his place :o I am getting all stressed out about the thought of it. Any advice?

Thanks

Amy

Ads by Google:

He's your boyfriend, and if you're going to be living with him, you have to treat it like you live there, and sometimes, that happens in places where you live. What if he clogs up the toilet there himself? No difference. I presume that, since you're at the stage where you're thinking of living together, you've also told him about the problems you have, so just letting him now that you're a touch anxious in this area may help relieve you a bit.

When in doubt, talk with him! :-)

Thanks...I plan on discussing it with him further. He is aware of my situation, but we have been dating long distance for the past 8 months so we I have been able to keep some of the more unpleasant side effects from him. He is great and understanding so I am sure that it won't be a big deal, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any issues or advice. Especially concerning how to handle when only one of you is gluten-free.

Thanks! :D

I moved in with my boyfriend about a year ago (before i was diagnosed). I had bouts of diarrhea about once a month and we don't even have a fan in our bathroom!!! so, i always make a joke out of it. He is great with everything and knows when i don't feel well or accidentally ingest gluten. I just tell him not to go in the bathroom for a while. He just laughs and that is that. Believe me, guys are a lot worse when it comes to the bathroom then we are, even if they don't have celiac. hope this helps!!! :D

My Dh is not celiac, and he can foul the air in a vented bathroom! The plunger stays by the toilet, and I don't leave the bathroom until the toilet is finished flushing. If he truly loves you, he will understand. (Such a trite phrase!lol) Being a guy, there is a good possibility that he will think it is funny, that you can stink up and clog the toilet. I say that, because DH always tells me "it's a guy thing." Don't stress, just enjoy his love.

It is very obvious that I am a NEWBIE, but, that is HERE only.

I am not a newbie when it comes to computers, as I am a self-employed computer consultant. I've been involved with PC's since before the Internet! Geez, I can

remember when I had a friend who would "hack" into the internet via a dial up modem, like 14.4 k or was it 28k or whatever. Anyway, "the internet" was just this black screen with type on it. No pictures!

Anyway, I am really confused by some of these acronymns! celiac disease and gluten-free I have figured out, but, DH and others I don't have a clue!

Later!

Glen

I've been living with my boyfriend for 6 months and he is the most understanding. If he really does love you and wants to be with you, then it shouldn't matter, if u don't make a big deal out of it, neither will he.

I was diagnosed a year ago. Since that time, we have virtually eliminated ALL gluten from our house. My husband is 'on board' with the food issues and generally eats what I eat - mostly meat, fish, poulty, veggies and fruit. We clean the counters before and after eating, especially if he has eaten wheat cereal. This has prevented any issues of contamination in our own kitchen. Make sure you keep separate toasters, cutting boards, etc. Check the archives of posts here about that kind of stuff. It's very important for contamination issues !

good luck,

kathleen

Sorry, Glen! I guess I should have said "my dear, sweet, oh-no-I-would-never-do-anything-like-that, angelic husband"!

Hah, I was right! :D

I'm new to this forum too, and my guess of DH (after reading some posts, from the context) was "Dear Husband", but I still suspected it may have some more complicated, advanced-users-only, medical meaning. I didn't check it up in a dictionary just because I was too lazy :D

In "web world" DH generally refers to Dear Husband or Darling Husband (DS=Darling/Dear Son, DD Darling/Dear Daughter, etc...)

However, in THIS world it can me that, or it can be referring to the rash that accompanies Celiac sometimes (Dermatitis H....something I don't have so don't remember)

Does that sort of clear things up?

Bridget