This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yellow Cake

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

:D Gluten-Free Yellow Cake :D

Basic and easy, and very versatile. Layer with white or

chocolate frosting, strawberries and whipped cream, etc. Make

sure your baking powder is gluten-free. Makes 2 -8 or 9

inch layers (24 servings).

Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Amy

1 1/2 cups white rice flour

3/4 cup tapioca flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon xanthan gum 4 eggs

1 1/4 cups white sugar

2/3 cup mayonnaise

1 cup milk

2 teaspoons gluten-free

vanilla extract

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease

and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.

2 Mix the white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking

soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside.

3 Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add

the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread

batter into the prepared pans.

4 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes.

Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or

when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Let cool completely then frost, if desired

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Connie R-E Apprentice

I made this recipe for my son's 6th birthday! It turned out GREAT! (40 thumbs-up!)

I did bake it at 275-300F for 40-45 min.... I just think rice cooks better at a lower temperatures.

Definately give it a try! (It makes great cupcakes, too :P )

Connie

Connie R-E Apprentice

Oh, yeah... And, you can sub some of the flour for cocoa powder to make a chocolate cake--maybe 1/2 cup... (depends on how chocolatey you like your cake!)

Have fun experimenting!

Connie

Guest jhmom

I remember you posting that recipe not too long ago, I should have tried that cake instead of what I made! That will be the next one I bake. Thank you so much and I am sure my kids will thank you too :D

granny Rookie
I did bake it at 275-300F for 40-45 min.... I just think rice cooks better at a lower temperatures.

Connie

I made this cake yesterday with Pineapple Upside down and it was a little gummy. I remembered you saying rice should be cooked slower and longer. I wonder if this would take some of the gumminess out of it?? The cake was good, just a little different texture.

Could you or anyone else, please tell me if there's a difference between Tapioca flour and tapioca starch? I'd really appreciate any help on this. Granny

Connie R-E Apprentice

Hi Granny,

If the gummyness is due to it not being cooked well enough in the center, then I'd say, "Yes!"

That was the main reason that I started baking my rice flour at a lower temperature and slower...

If the reason was that it has too much liquid, then... I'd try making it again, at a lower temp. just to see--before I reduced the liquid! :)

Connie

Jo Ann Apprentice

Since only my grandson is Celiac, it's been difficult finding a cake recipe everyone will eat, but the following Angel Food Cakes have been great.

White Angel Food Cake

1/2 c. cornstarch 1 1/4 c. egg whites

1/3 c. potato starch 1 Tbls. water

3/4 tsp xanthan gum 1 tsp. cream of tartar

3/4 c. sugar 2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. salt 1/3 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine first 5 ingredients and set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, water, cream of tartar & vanilla. Mix until frothy. Continue beating and slowly add 1/3 c. sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture until well blended without lumps. Pour batter into ungreased angel food cake pan. Press batter down slightly to remove air spaces. Bake approx. 30-40 minutes, until light golden brown. Invert pan over glass bottle and cool cake upside down. When cool, remove from pan. Cut cake in half horizontally and frost with favorite frosting.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

1/4 c. cornstarch

1/4 c. potato starch

1/4 c. cocoa Combine first 6 ingredients & set aside.

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

3/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

The remainder of ingredients and directions are the same as for White Angel Food Cake. These both make light, delicious cakes. Hope you like them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stepha

I tried making the yellow cake and it turned out well... hard and rubbery. I do live at a high altitude and if that was the problem can anyone tell me what to do about it.

jenni Newbie

IN my gluten-free cookbooks ( I have 8 of them ) they say that tapioca starch and tapioca flour are the same thing. Just different names.

• 2 weeks later...
kejohe Apprentice

Okay, I made the yellow cake.... finally, and holy cow it was sooooo good, I would never have know it was a gluten-free cake, if I hadn't made it myself.

I am not a big fan of mayo, so I substituted with a combination of butter flavored shortening and regular butter (6 Tbs of shortening & 5 Tbs of butter). Then I beat the butter/shortening and sugar until it was light and fluffy, then added the eggs one at a time, it was delicious.... all my son could say was "mmmmm, yummmy cupcake!"

Thanks Jessica for the great recipe! I will definately be using this for future birthday parties!

• 2 weeks later...
donnalois Newbie

Amy's gluten free yellow cake mix is indeed great tasting. I keep the mix on the shelf but only put 3/4 cups sugar in and not 1 1/4 cups. I then add one package gluten free Jello Jelly powder, depending on what flavour of cake my children want. It works great! One 85g pkg Jello equals 1/2 cup sugar. The rest I do the same as the directions.

A professional baker also told me to wrap up any cupcakes or cake in Saran Wrap while they are warm, but cool enough to handle with your bare hands and freeze immediatly. When they are thawed they taste like fresh baked. Comes in handy to have cupcakes in the freezer for those last minute birthday invitations.

Thanks Amy!

Donna

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Florida Jean

;) I have been using my old cake recipes and substituting

Betty Hagman's flour mix for the flour and adding xanthan gum.

These cakes seem to come out "just about normal." Most of

the time you can't tell it from the regular recipe. It doesn't

keep as long, I find, but it just means we can eat more of it

at a shorter period of time. Yummy. :P

Guest Florida Jean

Does anyone use their old cake recipes and just substitute Betty Hagman's

flour mix for the wheat flour? I do this all the time and use xanthan gum also,

and they come out great. :P

Connie R-E Apprentice

I use my old recipies! :P

I just substitute a mix of 1/2 regular white rice flour and 1/2 glutenous rice flour (super fine milled from an Asian food store) and they come out great!! Sometimes I play with the liquid content...I know what I want it to look like... And, I usually forget the xanthan gum entirely (just forgetfull!)

My main secret is to cook them "low and slow"--usually at 275-300F!

Don't overcook!!!!!!!!! It does take a few batches to learn to make them perfect, but my family (and friends) never complain!

Happy baking!

Connie

PS Glutenous rice flour doesn't have the kind of gluten we can't have....it's just rice!

granny Rookie
PS Glutenous rice flour doesn't have the kind of gluten we can't have....it's just rice!

Connie,

Thanks for the PS. I'd seen glutenous rice flour at the Asian Market and wondered what it was. Can you also explain the Sweet Rice. Is this just a brand name or is it something different? Thanks, Granny

Guest Florida Jean

Re: Glutinous rice flour

The lady in the Oriental store where I buy all of my

flours told me that glutinous flour is a sweet rice flour.

I use very little of it....only when a recipe calls for it.

I am not at all adventurous as some of you are. :o

Archived