- - - - -

Is Nutella gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

Does anyone know if Nutella (The Hazelnut Chocolate Spread) is gluten-free? It looks like it is, but I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me before I call the company.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Debbie65

Debbie65

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

Looks like it is, found this recipe on a gluten free baking site. Just get confirmation from other users to be certain though.

Torta alla Giandiua (aka Nutella Cake)
From Nigella Lawson's "How To Be A Domestic Goddess"

for the cake
6 large eggs, separated
1 pinch salt
125g unsalted butter, softened
400g jar Nutella
1 tablespoon Frangelico, rum or water
100g ground hazelnuts
100g good quality bittersweet chocolate, melted

for the icing
100g hazelnuts, skinned
125 g double cream
1 tablespoon Frangelico or rum or water
125g good quality bittersweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 180oC. Prepare a 25cm springform pan: grease and line with parchment or wax paper.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs whites and salt until stiff but not dry (this means that they will hold their peaks, yet still appear glossy and smooth).

In a separate bowl, beat the butter and Nutella together, then add Frangelico (or rum, or water), egg yolks, and ground hazelnuts. Fold in the cooled, melted chocolate, then lighten the mixture with a dollop of egg white, which you can beat in as roughly as you want, before gently folding the rest of them in a third at a time.

Pour into the prepared pan and cook for 40 minutes or until the cake's beginning to come away at the sides, then let cool on rack.

Toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until the aroma wafts upward and the nuts are golden brown in parts: keep shaking the pan so they don't burn on one side and stay too pallid on others. Transfer to a plate and let cool. It's very important to cool the nuts completely: if they go on the ganache while hot, it'll turn oily.

In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, add the cream, liquer or water, and chopped chocolate and heat gently. Once the chocolate's melted, take the pan off the heat and whisk until it reaches the right consistency to ice just the top of the cake.

Unmold the cooled cake carefully, leaving it on the base as it will be too difficult to get such a damp cake off in one piece. Ice the top with the chocolate icing, and dot thickly with the whole, toasted hazelnuts.
posted by obiwanwasabi at 9:10 PM PST on September 12

Hi again,

Also found this,

Chocolate hazelnut spread Nutella, gluten free on label supermarket, jams and spreads
Diagnosed as an infant failing to thrive 40 years ago. Followed diet for 17 years more or less then quit. 20 odd years later after constant illnesses and reading this forum gone back to gluten-free with my tail between my legs.

#3 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

Great! Thanks! :D

#4 mellajane

mellajane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

I absolutely love Nutella and bake with it frequently. I also put it on everything.... So good with fruit. From everything I have found it is Gluten free....So eat up!

Does anyone know if Nutella (The Hazelnut Chocolate Spread) is gluten-free? It looks like it is, but I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me before I call the company.

Thanks!

"There is always a Brighter side to every situation"

#5 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

Yes. I worship the stuff. Mmmmmmm

- Lauren

#6 Queener

Queener

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

I ate Nutella this morning on gluten free bread and had an immediate reaction - diarrhea, pain, lethergy, you know the drill. Bummer. I really like it. I may have an issue with soy. I began having problem with Jif peanut butter too which I never had before....??? Just when you think that you have found something to make that nasty bread taste ok...... I have found Skippy Natural peanut butter which doesn't seem to bother me...... for now!

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,766 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:58 AM

I ate Nutella this morning on gluten free bread and had an immediate reaction - diarrhea, pain, lethergy, you know the drill. Bummer. I really like it. I may have an issue with soy. I began having problem with Jif peanut butter too which I never had before....??? Just when you think that you have found something to make that nasty bread taste ok...... I have found Skippy Natural peanut butter which doesn't seem to bother me...... for now!

The soy problem may be an issue here, but, especially if you are new to the diet, there may be another issue that is not Nutella related (it is gluten-free), gluten reactions for many of us are delayed. Look not only at what you ate when you started to feel ill but also what you have consumed in the 3 days previous. This is one of the best reasons for the newly diagnosed to avoid as much processed food as they can because the delay in reaction can make things very confusing at first.
Also if you have not tried Kinnickinnick breads and baked goods you should try to find them. Their Italian White bread is the closest to gluten bread that I have found. Their Pizza crusts are also wonderfully soft where they should be and flaky. Also be sure to microwave and/or toast any gluten-free bread, many are parbaked and need the last bit of heat to make them soft and edible.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 GFinVenice

GFinVenice

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

Thanks!

yes it is, we are from italy and here is gluten free.
Do you know which ice cream is gluten-free in usa ?
thanks
When seven years ago I found out that my daughter was celiac I started to cook everything she was asking me.....and in a few months I will publish a recepies book!

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,766 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

yes it is, we are from italy and here is gluten free.
Do you know which ice cream is gluten-free in usa ?
thanks

The one we used to get was Perry's they mark the ones that are gluten free. Also if you are in an area that has a Wegmans Market they mark all their gluten free items with a circle G. I am sure others will know of other brands but you may have better results if you do a new post with Gluten free Ice cream USA in the title.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

Always good to know...my parents were asking me awhile ago yet if I could eat it...now I know :P

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#11 TriticusToxicum

TriticusToxicum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:45 AM

Is anybody else using the Nutella? You might be getting cross contaminated if someone else is Double dipping with non gluten-free crumbs. Just a thought. :)
Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05
Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

#12 Just1Mooch

Just1Mooch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

YES!  This is posted on the Nutella web site:

Is Nutella® hazelnut spread gluten free?

Nutella® hazelnut spread does not contain any ingredients derived from gluten-containing cereals: wheat, barley, rye, oats or triticale. There is also no risk of cross contamination with any gluten ingredients. (Source: http://www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm)

#13 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Just an FYI - this thread is 6 years old. Any product info on it may have changed in that length of time.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#14 glutenfreemadeleine

glutenfreemadeleine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter is supposed to be gluten free and also doesn't have dairy for those of us who don't have dairy. :o)

#15 M M

M M

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

I searched the web for info on Vanillin, contained in Nutella.

On Answer.com they say that those that are sensitive might have a problem, since Vanillin is derived from grain alcohol, and thus may contain small trace amounts of Gluten. Definitely under the current 80 parts per million limit in the U.S., but if Gluten is in the Vanillin in small amounts, it could cause issue for those who are most sensitive, like myself.

I eat the most basic diet, and have eliminated gluten, then night shades, preserved seafood (STPP preservative), and most all food that is not 100% Gluten Free from the start. I cannot eat anything labeled Gluten Free, since it usually triggers me.

Everything made from scratch.

Seafood out also due to that STPP preservative that shuts down my prostate and gives me a gluten like reaction.

Nutella was one of my one exceptions. But I seem to be extra stressed and anxious everytime I eat it. Something seems to be effecting me in Nutella, even though I grew up on it in Denmark, and love it. Sucks having this wheat gene thing, and having been fed wheat formula and having been overdosed by a wheat pushing mom my whole life.

The good news is my blood pressure, weight, overall health, is excellent if I eat really basic.

My DNA spit test told me I had the mediterranean diet gene, so I overdose on Macadamia nuts (82% fat, high in mono unsaturated fat). I have lost 25 pounds on a gluten free, high mono unsaturated fat diet, WITHOUT EXERCISING.

I am down to Beef, Chicken, Fruits, Veggies, Nuts, Dairy, Corn Tortillas. I'm sure I am leaving out a few things, but that is pretty much it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: