This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Phew, Glad That's Over!

penguin

penguin Community Regular

I had my biopsy this morning, so I'm home resting and not driving or making any legal decisions :)

It went as well as could be expected, the last thing I remember is my doctor rubbing my arm and saying something along the lines of "are you ready?" and the first thing I remember upon waking is that I'd NEVER be able to remember what he said happened when he spoke. DH said that he said everything looked OK with the naked eye, but that my small intestines were a bit red and he took biopsies, and that I'll have the results by the end of the week. Cool. I'm fully expecting everything to come out normal, though.

In the meantime he's perscribed a gluten-free diet and to call in a week. I think, that's what the paper they gave me said. My doctor is very nice.

The worst part was the IV, and of course the 3 months leading up to it :P

gluten-free weight watchers starts tomorrow for me! Thanks for all the support over the last 3 months :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yay! It's over! You'll be feeling better soon!

BostonCeliac Apprentice

Hey -- Good to hear it went OK -- I have mine on Friday and it sounds like it's pretty easy.

Gluten-Free WW? Sounds tough -- i'd be living on 94% fat free Pop secret pop corn at 1 point per bag!! Thats gluten-free right???

jerseyangel Proficient

I was thinking about you yesterday--I'm glad that it went well and you're back home :)

It should be easy enough to do WW gluten-free, luckily things like Tinkyada pasta are about the same points as regular pasta, and I just gotta eat healthy, no biggie. Gotta get these 30 lbs. I gained on the effin' gluten challenge <_<

Oh, I believe pop secret is gluten-free. It's made by general mills, so any gluten will be clearly labelled.

EGD's are really no big deal. At least it wasn't a colonoscopy!!! My dr. is far to attractive to be looking up my butt :ph34r::lol:

How long are you supposed to keep the bandage over an IV site?

CarlaB Enthusiast
It should be easy enough to do WW gluten-free, luckily things like Tinkyada pasta are about the same points as regular pasta, and I just gotta eat healthy, no biggie. Gotta get these 30 lbs. I gained on the effin' gluten challenge <_<

Oh, I believe pop secret is gluten-free. It's made by general mills, so any gluten will be clearly labelled.

EGD's are really no big deal. At least it wasn't a colonoscopy!!! My dr. is far to attractive to be looking up my butt :ph34r::lol:

LOL, my doc does not fit that description ... I had to have the colonoscopy, too. Do these guys really think, "Gee, when I grow up I want to do colonoscopies for a living?"

I take the bandage off as soon as it starts bugging me, which would be as soon as I walk out of the facility. How it's supposed to be done, I don't know.

jerseyangel Proficient

I usually take the bandage off before I go to bed that night--same for blood tests.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer

Congratulations, & welcome back to gluten-free land!

Leah

tiffjake Enthusiast

Welcome back to the land of better thinking! Glad that is over with for you too!!!!

AndreaB Contributor

Glad it's over and things went well. Will be waiting for the results. :)

TCA Contributor

glad it went well!

Helena Contributor

Hi Penguin, That's great that the whole procedure is over and you'll have the results soon! Do you mind me asking how much gluten your doctor "prescribed" beforehand. (not sure, but i'm guessing from your post that you were gluten free and then had to go back on gluten . . .? I'm in a similar situation. I've been trying to get a sense of the whole range of the recommended "dose of gluten" since different doctors seem to have different recommendations.)

Hi Penguin, That's great that the whole procedure is over and you'll have the results soon! Do you mind me asking how much gluten your doctor "prescribed" beforehand. (not sure, but i'm guessing from your post that you were gluten free and then had to go back on gluten . . .? I'm in a similar situation. I've been trying to get a sense of the whole range of the recommended "dose of gluten" since different doctors seem to have different recommendations.)

My doc said ~4 slices of bread (or equivalent) a day for 3 months for a chance of damage showing. He got his info from Dr. Green at Columbia.

CarlaB Enthusiast
My doc said ~4 slices of bread (or equivalent) a day for 3 months for a chance of damage showing. He got his info from Dr. Green at Columbia.

No wonder mine came out negative ... my doc said I might want to eat a little more than normal, but no sense in getting sick over it! I didn't even eat it every day! And that was only six weeks!

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Hi Penguin... I'm jumpin' in on your thread.... since I'm having mine on Friday.

I'm glad to hear it went so well for you. I'm also glad to read that your doctor prescribed a strict gluten-free diet immediately, without waiting for the results. Mine also said the same thing.... he said that if I'm consuming gluten.... Thursday will be the last day I'll eat it, period.

My baby turns 1 on Thursday.... I was thinking of celebrating with pizza. That's not gonna happen though!!!

I can't wait to hear your results!!

Hi Penguin... I'm jumpin' in on your thread.... since I'm having mine on Friday.

I'm glad to hear it went so well for you. I'm also glad to read that your doctor prescribed a strict gluten-free diet immediately, without waiting for the results. Mine also said the same thing.... he said that if I'm consuming gluten.... Thursday will be the last day I'll eat it, period.

My baby turns 1 on Thursday.... I was thinking of celebrating with pizza. That's not gonna happen though!!!

I can't wait to hear your results!!

Chebe mixes make a fantastic gluten-free pizza :)

Helena Contributor

Thanks! Dr. Green is pretty much *the* celiac disease expert . . . this info. will be very helpful when I have a little chat with my GI doc about the biopsy beforehand :rolleyes: (As I mentioned in my other post, I was having gluten for 3 months, but 1/3 of a cup of dry barley every *other* day. That probably gives the villi a chance to grow back a bit on the off gluten days. I've upped my gluten dose, but my biopsy is in Oct so I won't have enough time.)

The results are in...the biopsy was....

NORMAL!

Not surprising. I have to go back to the GI in 6 weeks to follow up, they told me I need to be gluten-free long-term anyway so the biopsy results really don't matter. I think I'm still going to say I'm celiac because 1: I don't want to look like a wishy-washy, I diagnosed myself with the disease du jour (though I guess I'm formally dx'ed) and 2: it'll make life easier for explaining.

Hmm, my small intestine was "a little red", I wonder why that would be? :huh:

I don't consider it a waste of time, because at least now I know what would have happened if I got the biopsy, because I did :)

AndreaB Contributor

Good news Chelsea....now onward with the gluten free diet and no looking back. :)

queenofhearts Explorer

That's great that your villi haven't been damaged, Chelsea, & it's great that you have an enlightened doctor who doesn't think that means you should eat gluten.

Eat well & be well!

Leah

Guest ~jules~

Lol! I've had both! But my doc, is a short little phillipino guy, I am deffinetly not into... :lol::lol:

VydorScope Proficient

YAY!! Glad thats over!! Was worried about you!

jerseyangel Proficient

Well, now you know, and don't have to wonder about it any more.

I'm glad that you discovered this before there was any lasting damage to your intestine. This should hopefully, make a full recovery quicker and easier for you :)

I really have to hand it to ya for going through with the whole challange--you're one tough cookie :D

Meh, if I was sick for 4 years, what's another 3 months? :P

Archived