This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Same Old Food Schedule...help!

Ashley

Ashley Enthusiast

I know this probably been posted twenty-million times, but, when I search for a topic I get things that are not even related to it. I really do hate the search system on this site.

My diet is absolutely horrible at times. I mean, I usually eat veggies and fruit at lunch (packed), but, when I'm at home, especially during the weekends, I find myself eating some kind of junk. I just can't find anything new to eat :( It's getting so bland and the same.

Suggestions?

-Ash

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer
I know this probably been posted twenty-million times, but, when I search for a topic I get things that are not even related to it. I really do hate the search system on this site.

My diet is absolutely horrible at times. I mean, I usually eat veggies and fruit at lunch (packed), but, when I'm at home, especially during the weekends, I find myself eating some kind of junk. I just can't find anything new to eat :( It's getting so bland and the same.

Suggestions?

-Ash

Take a look at this website & you're bound to find something that sounds appealing!

Open Original Shared Link

Leah

thenamesbabe Rookie

right there with ya ashley!!! I feel like all i eat is the same stuff. I go to the health food store and get the same junk. And i buy the cookies and whatever but they taste like stirophome (sp?) not just that but dry styrophome(sp?) figured i would spell it diff twice maybe i'll sound it out LOL

my taste buds just aren't liking the cookies and breakfast bars and pasta that my body accepts.

I want to walk into a restaurant and order a big fat turkey and swiss sandwich on sourdough bread and eat to my heart's desire.

queenofhearts Explorer
right there with ya ashley!!! I feel like all i eat is the same stuff. I go to the health food store and get the same junk. And i buy the cookies and whatever but they taste like stirophome (sp?) not just that but dry styrophome(sp?) figured i would spell it diff twice maybe i'll sound it out LOL

my taste buds just aren't liking the cookies and breakfast bars and pasta that my body accepts.

I want to walk into a restaurant and order a big fat turkey and swiss sandwich on sourdough bread and eat to my heart's desire.

I don't like storebought stuff much either, but I've made some fantastic cookies at home... try getting The Gluten Free Gourmet Makes Dessert & Annalise Roberts' Gluten Free Baking Classics.

Also if you like gingersnaps & can tolerate soy flour, try MiDel gingersnaps. They're very spicy & flavorful.

Leah

daffadilly Apprentice

Turkey & Swiss sandwich, I had this today for lunch - minus the bread & the cheese

When I was eating cheese this is what i did , on my plate I put a layer of leaf lettuce (i am into kale at the moment) I really like to use two kinds of lettuce, then the mayo, a layer of turkey, a layer of tomatoes, add salt or seasoning, cover with cheese slices, add some purple onion, bell pepper strips & squirt on some mustard, eat with a knife & a fork - this is very yummy, serve pickles, jicama, & chips (Lundberg Rice chips is good with this) on the side.

I never miss the bread.

I make my BLT's the same way.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Oh I miss the bread! Once in a while I will splurge on some EnerG bread and save it for good lunch meals...my favorite sandwich is cream cheese, a little dill and garlic, topped with sliced salmon (thin, like the lunch meat) all toasted and melty. It's soo good! I'll check out the website, cuz i need some good recipe ideas as well. I binge on chips and salsa too much! What is the opinion of Pamela's cookies. I really like the pecan shortbread ones. Taste real enough to me :)

penguin Community Regular

Haha, I felt the same way, here's an excerpt from my blog the day I was dx'ed:

Sheesh. I can have styrofoam and cardboard shaped in different ways. Here's what we bought as a start:

*brown rice crackers (styrofoam)

*Buckwheat waffles (cardboard)

*Honey rice puffins cereal (styrofoam)

*Rice spaghetti (cardboard)

*Fruity Booty puffy snack things (styrofoam)

*100% corn tortillas (cardboard)

It gets better...and yes, homemade is MUCH TASTIER than store bought. Actually, most of the stuff I bought turned out to be pretty tasty. Except for the brown rice crackers...those were nasty.

Ashley - What are the things you eat all the time and are sick of?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ashley Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for links, suggestions and support :)

Chelse, I usually have some kind of cereal in the morning (hooked on the Dora the Explorer cereal), lunch is either chicken salad or a hamburger steak or my favorite, parsami (sp? probably) , celery & peanut butter or peas, grapes or bananas and once in a blue moon there'll be funyuns in there.

Dinner, once in a while I'll make some rice mac 'n alfredo, but I really try to avoid it. Hot dogs w/ mustard, more hamburger steaks...sometimes I'm happy with what I got but I'm really started to feel run-down.

I really don't miss the junky-junk food (my homemade gluten-free cake is killer though) , but, I just want to feel like I'm actually getting a whole, healthy meal instead junk.

Note on EnerG bread: I nearly puked the first time I tried. Never tried it again. My teacher that tried nearly got sick too.

For the like the first two months, I was still barely eating so I would snack JUST off chips. Finally got to search for decent food. Over a year know but I still feel deprived of something whole and filling. I can live without gluten, I don't like seeing my food for a second-time, half digested...

Thanks everyone :)

-Ash

miles2go Contributor

Suggestions?

-Ash

Ash, I have fun trying to get 5-9 vegetables into my diet on a daily basis when I'm not doing monomeals and trying to figure out what's bothering me. An article that I ran into recently broke it down into colors and getting the whole rainbow of veggies is something that keeps me relatively entertained. I've also read that introducing exotic foods into one's diet keeps the body from recognizing known "enemies", so that may also help. If you can identify food families that bother you, that goes a long way. Another help for me has been to refuse to recognize that I have an issue and try to substitute things where needed. I cook a lot and I don't know if you do, but it definitely helps; I do most of my cooking on the weekend for the whole week.

Most things in recipes can be substituted one way or another. I'd recommend The Food Substitution Bible and any of Bette Hagmann's cookbooks, along with any Asian cookbook for starters.

There is yumminess out there! :)

lindalee Enthusiast

Hi Ashley, I don't know if you like anchovies or not but I do especially because of the omegas-so I eat salads alot with anchovies or chicken etc. on top.

Trail mix

Smoothies with fiber and flax oil and fruits or veggies. :)

steveindenver Contributor

Don't get frustrated. There are options and I know it's hard. Here are some suggestions:

Buffalo Chicken Salad (lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, ranch dressing). Cube chicken breast, toss lightly in white rice flour, and brown. Add some wing sauce or Buffalo hot sauce, toss to coat and then serve over the salad.

Stuffed chicken breasts - slice chicken breasts and stuff with mixture of goat cheese and herbs. Pin with toothpicks and bake. Just as they are finished in the oven, put them on the grill to get some good flavoring/grill marks on each side. Serve with risotto.

Pizza omelette - make an omelette with pepperoni, mozzerella cheese and a bit of Classico spaghetti sauce (both their red and white sauces are gluten-free!). Serve with french fries. YUM.

SUPER easy and yummy salad - Mix leaf lettuce, craisins, toasted pecans, goat cheese, tomatoes and black olives. Toss with balsamic dressing. Add warm rotisserie chicken (Costco's is gluten-free and is the best).

Johnsonville Bratwursts on the grill - gluten-free! Serve with a mixture of sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms.

I just bought some Taquitos at Costco that are Kraft product (I forget the brand name), but they are gluten-free!

Grill a chicken breast. Before it's done, top with bbq sauce, sauteed onions then a good thick slice of cheese. Let it cook so the cheese melts. Yummy!

Epicurious has some great gluten free recipes for treats including some tasty chocolate truffles.

I really don't miss the junky-junk food (my homemade gluten-free cake is killer though) , but, I just want to feel like I'm actually getting a whole, healthy meal instead junk.

Share the cake recipe, PLEASE! Thanks.

Guest ~jules~

It gets better...and yes, homemade is MUCH TASTIER than store bought. Actually, most of the stuff I bought turned out to be pretty tasty. Except for the brown rice crackers...those were nasty.

Lmao! Oh wow I needed a good laugh! Thats true of alot of these products, I bought some crackers yesterday from lifesource, they were horrible! I do like those blue diamond nut crisps though, those are pretty good, however not quite worth the 5 bucks you pay for 2 handfulls in a box!

Heater Rookie

Hey, is there a link to that blog? I wouldn't mind reading more of it.

Thanks!

daffadilly Apprentice

Weekend Lunch - Sweet potato & a sliced onion fried in extra light olive oil french fry style, serve with baked beans, (pinto beans, catsup, mustard, chopped onion, brown sugar, cook in microwave 10 minutes)

dinner: seared pork chops in a skillet, remove to a plate, saute bell peppers, celery, onions, garlic in skillet, remove to a bowl, brown one cup of rice in a skillet, add one jar of classico spaghetti sauce, fresh basil, fresh oregano (if you have fresh if not season to taste), about 1 cup of water, stir in the sauted veggies, put pork chops on top, bake in 350 degree oven till rice is done (my pork chops are thin so they will be done, if yours are thick just cook a little longer).

beef casserole: Brown a pound of ground beef with a chopped onion, add a can of cream of celery soup or mushroom or your own homemade cream soup base, a can of English peas drained, a Tablespoon of mustard, stir up, top with dollops of mashed potatoes (leftover is good), sprinkle with any cheese - or leave it off bake in 350 degree oven till all bubbly.

veggie bake: cut up red potatoes or sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, squash, etc., add a bunch of garlic cloves - I just cut the top & bottom off & cook a couple of heads, lightly coat with olive oil,salt & pepper, sprinkle with fresh herbs, bake in 350 degree oven till done - will be slightly brown on edges. I think this goes good with brown rice and cole slaw.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Try out some of these recipes:

GFBetsy Rookie

There are a couple of threads on this very topic in the "Baking and Cooking Tips" section of this forum . . . Here's a link to one of them:

Archived