- - - - -

Kellogs Corn Flakes

• Please log in to reply

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CD_Surviver_*

Guest_CD_Surviver_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

does anyone know if we can have them? they are not labeled with anything so i was just wandering.

Lauren

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

I believe I have read that they're sweetened with barley malt. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please. If I'm right, then they contain gluten.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

I thought all Kellogg's products were a no-no.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

they are not gluten-free they do have barley malt in them

sorry :(
Molly

#5 Guest_CD_Surviver_*

Guest_CD_Surviver_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

well since we cant have them has anyone found a good substitute? i have this really good recipe for potatoes that you coat in corn flakes.

#6 Gluten Slayer

Gluten Slayer

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

EnviroKidz Organic Amazon frosted flakes cereal. It tastes likes Kelloggs, very good.

#7 Luvs to Scrap

Luvs to Scrap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:20 PM

Natures Path Corn Flakes which are lightly sweetened with fruit juice are good too. My guys are gluten-free, not me, and I think they taste normal and use them in all my recipes that call for cornflakes. :) Kendra

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

Kelloggs is not ok but I like Envirokidz brand
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#9 mattj

mattj

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

At a celiac's meeting the experts (A doctor, nurse and dietician) said that Kelloggs Cornflakes and Rice Krispies are now considered gluten free. I haven't been able to find the confirmation I need before going ahead and eating them.
Does anyone know?

#10 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

Question:
Do you have any gluten-free products?

Answer:
At this time, we do not offer products suitable for consumers on a gluten-free diet except as follows:

Kellogg's® Eggo™ Syrup, Kellogg's™ Fruit Flavored Snacks and Kellogg's® Yogos are formulated gluten- free and may be acceptable for consumers on restricted diets

Kellogg's® Corn Pops® and Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® might be suitable, depending on gluten sensitivity. Corn Pops have a very small amount of wheat starch added, and Rice Krispies have a small amount of malt flavoring, made from barley. Check with your personal physician to determine if these products are suitable for you.

http://www.ricekrisp.../contactus.aspx

#11 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

There is Barley Malt in them....

If you have a Wegmans near you, they have Strawberry Corn Flakes under their own label, you find it in the Organic Section. It is organic. I have had it and it is very good. It is labeled gluten free too.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

does anyone know if we can have them? they are not labeled with anything so i was just wandering.
Lauren

Except if you consider barley malt flavoring a gluten ingredient.

I've tried every "health food" gluten free corn flakes I could get my hands on. They all suck if you ask me. Hard, not light and crispy like they are supposed to be. Sorry, I once worked for Frito Lay Research and conducted blind taste panel product testings. I tend to be very critical. You may find them acceptable. Please post your impressions.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:56 AM

At a celiac's meeting the experts (A doctor, nurse and dietician) said that Kelloggs Cornflakes and Rice Krispies are now considered gluten free. I haven't been able to find the confirmation I need before going ahead and eating them.
Does anyone know?

With the government deciding how much poison we could have I am not surprised about this at all. They are not gluten free. Period. If an item contains wheat starch or barley malt it is not gluten-free. It just tests below the level that has been determined to be okay to poison us with. As expected when the determination was made by the FDA we now can't even trust that a phone call to a rep or gluten free label means gluten free, we have to decide if it is gluten free by nature or by testing. I wonder why thats okay with gluten and not with peanuts. Oh wait a minute I know why, peanuts kill those reactive to them immediately, when they give us gluten it kills us slowly and makes for lots of money for the doctors while we try to figure out what else could be wrong with us cause we are eating labeled 'gluten free' food and still sick.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 dadoffiveboys

dadoffiveboys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:31 AM

Does anyone know?

First.. don't ever assume a doctors 'recommended' list is correct. I've helped to correct some doctor's lists on gluten-free. The latest was from the children's feeding clinic program (for my child with celiac (but not diagnosed by a doctor - won't get into why)) and they had on their list McCann's Irish Oats. If you do research, you will find that SOME batches of their oats test with no trace of gluten.. but others have tested with over 300 ppm gluten (which under the new laws would NOT be gluten-free!). They supposedly changed mills and work really hard to be gluten-free but they are Gluten lite and you can't reliably eat them. I am VERY sensitive to gluten and trying the oats gave me a severe reaction - but it WAS on the gluten-free list by a specialty feeding program... just goes to show you that you must research every food and check. The only oats I've found to be free of gluten are the ones produced in Wyoming that I order via the internet (can't remember the company now..) We usually order a very large case each time and use them for oatmeal cookies and such. Being able to eat gluten-free oatmeal is GREAT for deserts.

#15 dermotron

dermotron

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:03 AM

I've recently stopped eating Kellogg's as I couldnt pinpoint what was getting gluten into my system. It appears Ive found the answer. The warning 'contains Barley' should have been enough I guess. There possibly listed as having no gluten due there being less than 10mg of gluten in them but thats too much for me. Fruit and yogurt is now the new morning cereal
diagnosed 27 years
alive 27 years
like the true vampires in movies, Im a pureblood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: