This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Old? Celiac For How Long?

swittenauer

How old are you?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Creative-Soul Newbie

I'm 34yrs and was self-diagnosed / went Gluten-Free October 2005.

Diagnosed by my doctor July 2006 (when I finally could partially afford to see him ;) ) who accepted my dietary results and horrible reactions to an abbreviated gluten challenge - self-inflicted -which he promptly told me to stop!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Soccer Girl Newbie

i am 13 and have been gluten free for 4 years. its the hardest thing i have EVER done but its better that getting sick all the time.i have had symptoms all my life. :)

Generic Apprentice

I'm 32 and have been gluten free for 19 years. I was sick my whole life and was litterally dyeing when I was diagnosed. First trip to the E.R. was when I was 9.

-Laurie

Eliza13 Contributor

I'm 31 and was diagnosed at age 30. You'd think that my doctor would have clued in long ago with my health history. I had tonsils removed at age 2 and was a chronic sick child. Always had a cold, always throwing up, had teeth seeled as a kid b/c of enamel loss. The most disturbing symptom that I get as a result of eating gluten is complete cessation of menses. I have never had monthly cycles and was averaging maybe one period per year. Docs diagnosed me "PCOS" b/c they could not find anything wrong with me. Well....guess what? After a few weeks gluten free I got my period. 5 weeks after that I got a second one.....another 5 weeks and another cycle.....you get the picture. It's very scary to me that something that I was eating could make me stop menstruating...It must have been ravaging my body. I know it was for other reasons too....diarrhea, extreme fatigue, hair loss, knee pain....the list goes on and on.

This question of age is very important. I often wonder how much irreversable damage was done to my body that could have been prevented with an earlier diagnosis. It really is astonishing that wheat/gluten makes me stop getting my period and I wonder what else it was doing to my body that I don't know about. Oh....eating gluten also raises my prolactin and white blood cell count.

Guest Villanfam

I am 29. I have had symptoms all my life, and after my dad bought me the book "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies" I realized for I had a DISEASE.

I was gluten-lite since high school, although I didn't even know what gluten was. I just knew I couldn't eat breads/pasta/pizza w/out throwing up. I had several other symptoms, rashes, and many of which are neurological but I did not relate them to eating gluten.

I diagnosed myself in Sept 2006 because I do not have insurance. I had 2 of my 3 kids tested for it and they both came back positive. I don't think I've cried so much in my life, mostly out of guilt for not knowing they had the same thing I did, and I gave it to them! They had no obvious GI symptoms except they were all very small for their age, my son was constipated, but since I was too I didn't think to much about it. Also he ate cheese like there was no tomorrow! My son had 2 peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch at school everyday! No vomiting, no diarrhea. If I even took one bite I would have been hugging the toilet LOL!

So here we are gluten-free since Sept 14th. And for the 1st time in my life I now know what really being "normal" feels like! It had been at least a year since I ate pasta, and when I tried the gluten free kind, I was so scared to even take the 1st bite because it looks exactly like wheat pasta! I did and then ate the whole thing and then just waited to get sick, and then nothing happened! I ate pasta w/out puking YIPPEE!!! I can eat things that I haven't been able to for so long bread/pasta/cookies/cakes/donuts, gluten free of course, but it was very liberating for myself.

For my kiddos though, it's been tough because I worry about them at school. I have been bringing lunch to School everyday and had the Principal designate a specific spot (the end of the table) for us to sit, so I don't have to worry about the other kids crumbs getting on my kids hands and food. It's really exhausting, but they are definitely worth it!!

Courtney

Anonymousgurl Contributor
I have not been diagnosed, but I've been gluten free since May and I'm planning on doing a gluten challenge :blink:

I'm 18. I was going to do the poll, but there is no slot for 18 year olds....should I say I'm under 18 or that I'm 19? :huh:

age 16

14 years gluten-free (15 in feb.)

Age 19. Diagnosed in Jan of 2004

i am 13 and have been gluten free for 4 years. its the hardest thing i have EVER done but its better that getting sick all the time.i have had symptoms all my life. :)

I was going to ask the same question because I hadn't found anyone in my age range yet :) I'm 17 and I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I have a definite sensitivity (to practically all foods really...LoL..) and have been gluten free for just a month.

I'd love to chat with all of you that I quoted up there ^^^^ about your experiences and what your situations are...it's hard to be a teen/young adult and have to deal with this kind of stuff :(

Tippy Apprentice

I'm 23 and got diagnosed on December 27th, 2006 ^-^;;; although ive probably had it longer, my symptoms started in May of 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
larry mac Enthusiast

55 here. Have had GI problems for couple years. Finally dx 3 weeks ago after all blood, urine, stool tests, then endoscopic duodenal biopsies confirmation.

Definately doing better, but have had a couple small lapses. Am trying to be very, very careful, but keep finding stuff not supposed to be eating. Had a really good salad (almost never even eat salads) yesterday, with outstanding Blue Cheese dressing from Central Market. THEN, afterwards, I find out not to eat that.

Am finding this forum extremely helpful, and greatly appreciate everyone on here. Thank you, thank you. lm

Archived