This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Palm Springs / Vegas

Thomas

Thomas Apprentice

Gto Palm Springs for a few days and then Vegas for a few more days wondering if anyone knew of any gluten-free restaurants?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

j9n Contributor

I am trying to find out that info too. I know there is an Outback there too. I have emailed some hotels and restaurants and am waiting for their replies. Let me know what you find out and I will post the replies when I get them.

Kim Explorer

I can't help you with LA, but I go to Vegas quite often.

There is an Outback on the strip right between Venetian and Harrahs, so if you don't feel like venturing, that's always an option.

I avoid the buffets, but do very well in Vegas. Lots to choose from. A phenomenal steak restaurant (Seven) in the Palms Hotel. One of my absolute favorites. There is a fish restaurant in Rio (I forgot the name, but I'm not talking about the fish buffet, there's a separate restaurant -- I avoid buffets for cross contamination issues) where I had great food twice - no problems. Nobu is in Hard Rock and did fine there as well.

I've eaten at Spago (Caears - the Forum) and done well. I've eaten at many places and done fine. What hotel will you be staying at? Do you know? The only place I would avoid is Le Circe in Bellagio -- refused to accommodate me. Otherwise, nice restaurants are generally fine. (Just for your information, the PF Changs is on the strip at Alladin.)

Have a great time. Kim.

Thomas Apprentice

Thanks Kim, that's very helpful.

j9n Contributor

Kim,

I am going to Vegas for my wedding anniversary to see Van Halen, woohoo!! I worry the most about the diners for breakfast. Have you found any problems with them? I am not sure what to do about breakfast. We paid alot for the tickets and the last thing I want to do is get sick. I thought about bringing Thai kitchen soup bowls for lunches, I can always get boiling water, LOL. Have you tried any of the restaurants at Benihana Village? I haven't been there for a very long time but since they cook it right in front of you that would be a good option I would think.

• 2 weeks later...
Kim Explorer

I haven't been there, but if it's Benihana then I would think you would have issues with soy sauce and cross contamination on both the grill and the knives and because they cook for a group, I'm not sure it would work.

I usually do very well at breakfast. I get eggs/omellette (RECONFIRM with the waiter that the eggs are just eggs, some places add flour/pancake batter to omellettes) (I explain the food "allergy" and that I will become very ill so they must use a very clean pan/griddle), fruit. Sometimes I can get hashbrowns/potato -- confirm ingredients are okay and that they are not deep-fried. Even though it's morning, someone will have been up all night and will order onion rings to re-contaminate the fryer. If potatoes are made in oven or skillet and ingredients are okay, then I get those. Be careful with yogurts -- confirm the brand. I usually travel with packets of instant grits so I can just add hot water -- and I also may bring other "treats" individually wrapped so they stay moister.

In all my trips to Vegas (and there have been many over the years now), I've only had a problem at breakfast once and I was partially to blame because I could have been clearer ( those were the early days of gluten-free when I was a little hesitant to speak up). there's a NY style diner in the Caesars Forum shops where I've eaten breakfast several times all fine -- eaten breakfast at the "diner" at Hard Rock and been fine (except for the once mentioned above -- they do deep fry their potatoes).

If you are sure to speak up, you can do VERY well in Vegas. I do avoid the buffets -- too much of a chance for cross contamination. But, you can find fruit, yougurt etc. (a bit pricey, but you'll know it's gluten-free).

Have a great trip and enjoy the concert.

Kim, Atlanta, GA

j9n Contributor

Thanks Kim for the info. I guess Benihana is a risk with cross contamination. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and I never heard back. I guess that answers that question. My biggest problem is that I am afraid to speak up. I am pretty new at this and I was hoping to have my food planned before I get there but I guess I have to speak up. It is Vegas after all, I am sure that they have heard it many, many times before.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thomas Apprentice

Thanks for all the ideas,

Kim Explorer

Janine,

It's hard to get used to speaking up -- it took me a while, but you do get used to it and it is your health at steak. For the vast majority of restaurants, they want you to have a nice dining experience and don't mind you speaking up. It just takes some getting used to -- to find what wording works for you and, the more you know about cooking and how things are made the more you can tend to spot what might be problems.

It will get easier. I just believe (for myself) that I won't let celiac disease get in the way of me having a good time, travelling/seeing new places, and eating good food out.

Smith, I had heard that place was awesome. I'll have to visit sometime and try it.

Kim.

Thomas Apprentice

Good luck, and have fun on your anniversary!

Archived