This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Envelopes

nannyb

nannyb Rookie

I have heard conflicting reports on whether the gum on envelopes, stamps and such might have gluten in them. An article in Gluten Free Living (spring 2006) stated that envelopes don't have gluten. What is the true story?

Anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Well I can't be 100%. but I licked and sealed an envelope the other day, and I can tell you I was out of my tree for most of the day. I just was not fit for work. I blamed the envelope as there did not seem to be anything else to blame.

But there are so many people manufacturing envelopes, probably in a lot of different countries, that there must be about as many things in envelopes gum. I have been wary about the envelopes, so why I licked that one I don/t know. I am going to err on the safe side now, and never lick another envelope, it shouldn't be too much hardship. Like people say, if in doubt, don't do it!

Cathy

gfp Enthusiast
But there are so many people manufacturing envelopes, probably in a lot of different countries, that there must be about as many things in envelopes gum. I have been wary about the envelopes, so why I licked that one I don/t know. I am going to err on the safe side now, and never lick another envelope, it shouldn't be too much hardship. Like people say, if in doubt, don't do it!

Cathy

If this is work then get a sponge... for home I buy the ones where you tear off the sticky strip.

I'm a big believer in "if in doubt, leave it out".

kabowman Explorer

I either use the peel and stick or tape them. If I am going through the drive through at the bank, I lick a finger the go home and wash my hands (while trying not to touch the steering wheel with that finger - I know, paranoid by why chance it?).

queenofhearts Explorer

I believe that envelopes made in the US use cornstarch, but all bets are off for foreign manufacture, & who knows who made the envelope in hand? (You may know your own, but I'm referring to bills & such.) So I keep a dropper bottle of water in my bill basket & use that to moisten the stickum when returning an envelope. It's neater than a sponge & you don't have to rewet it whenever you need it.

Leah

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I use the glue stick while at work, it works great. I have never been a big licker because I am always the clumsy one who got her tongue/lips cut :unsure: at home, Hubbie does the bills and mailing so I can't help whether or not they contain anything. I just have heard from most people they have wheat so I figured it wasn't worth the problems. Besides, its not as if the glue is good tasting either.

Guest nini

I keep one of those spongy water bottle thingys in my car for ATM bank envelopes... I let hubby lick the envelopes at home or I use tape... LOL... There were a couple of times in the beginning where I was glutened from an ATM envelope and barely made it home before I crapped my pants! LOL! (I did make it home though)!!!! Anyway, just won't take that chance anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

To be on the safe side, I don't lick envelopes.

If my husband or son aren't available, I use a moist, wadded up paper towel--gets the job done! :D

ehrin Explorer

You would not lick an envelope if you saw the process that gum gets on there. Think about it - an envelope goes through a, not so clean, manufacturing process. You are not only licking that gum, but CAN be licking cleaning agents that the press' use as well as oils and dust and mites and mouse droppings. Seriously it's GROSS!!!

As for ATM envelopes, you can just tuck the flap in and they insert into the machine just fine. Not only do I practice this, but I asked my envelope manufacturers, it's safe to do. You do not have to seal it (nor do you have to fill all that info out on the back - it all gets imprinted on the envelope when it's inserted into the machine).

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have 4 non-gluten free kids who are prefectly happy licking my envelopes ... except maybe at Christmastime! I've heard we don't need to worry about them, but why risk it?

kabowman Explorer

If I really want an evelope licked, I will ask someone (don't like the sponges) but a guy I work with, won't do it because then his "DNA is out there" OK...

CarlaB Enthusiast
If I really want an evelope licked, I will ask someone (don't like the sponges) but a guy I work with, won't do it because then his "DNA is out there" OK...

It's probably best that that guy isn't cloned anyway.

gfp Enthusiast
I use the glue stick while at work, it works great. I have never been a big licker because I am always the clumsy one who got her tongue/lips cut :unsure:

And WOW does that hurt beyond all proportion! :ph34r:

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
And WOW does that hurt beyond all proportion! :ph34r:

It does hurt, but not as much as when you cut your armpit shaving...then apply deordorant, man that brought tears to my eyes...

As for DNA....is he aware that unless he is picking things up with gloves or never letting his lips touch cups/drinks his DNA is out there! Better off he isn't cloned :)

elonwy Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm of the garunteed to get paper cut on tongue variety as well. I also look at all those people in front of me in line at the atm and think "no way I'm putting that in my mouth". No for gluten, but just germs. ick.

Elonwy

kabowman Explorer

I actually laughed at him when he first mentioned the DNA bit - he is a guy, with lots of hair, lots of kids, you know it's out there - hair falls out, he is not meticulous with his space so you know there is stuff in there...I just laugh when he says that, just a little paranoid.

Of course, this is the guy, who moved to a safe location in case there was nuclear fall out from Y2K, and spent a few years using up their beans and grinding up their own flour from all the supplies they bought. And, in the middle of nowhere, with their little bunker, wears a gun to take the trash from the house to the garage. Just a little paranoid if you ask me...but, he really isn't asking me at all.

Kaycee Collaborator

Ehrin, you were thinking along the same exact lines as me. What are the hygeine standards in a envelope manufacturing factory. Are they as stringent as in any factory that produces food lines? Do they have to be subjected to health department checks? I don't think so.

Cathy

Archived