31 replies to this topic

#31 mle_ii

mle_ii

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

I have another idea about the genetic origins of Celiac in my blog.

I'm guessing that since it's on this site it's ok to promote it. ;)
http://www.glutenfre...p;showentry=369

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 wonkabar

wonkabar

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

They are also quite strange dogs .... lovely but strange temperaments and many suffer mental conditions perhaps not so far from autism spectrum .... they can be quite intellegent and yet do the stupiest things .. forget what they are doing and joyfully start something else like running in circles for 30 mins...

HUH??? Autism is NOT a mental condition. Using a term such as that when describing a Pervasive Developmental Disorder is a mis-characterization of the issues involved with that Dx. Autism, or the other "spectrum disorders", are NOT psychological disorders. But, the implied message is there when you use a term such as mental condition while discussing it. Yes it is a Dx disorder in the DSM, however it is quite different than being Dx with Bi-Polar Disorder or something of that nature.

Speaking as a parent-my son has a mild language delay and mild Sensory Modulation Dysfunction-and a special education teacher who has worked with many children of varied abilities and disorders within the Spectrum, I find your statement to be both inaccurate and highly offensive in that you would compare a dog's temperament and actions to that of a child/adult who is Autistic.

You're obviously a very knowledgable man, and I don't believe it was your intention to be offensive. However it was, very much so, to me. Pervasive Developmental Disorders have an emotional, human side to them and are far more complicated than a dog who "can be quite intellegent and yet do the stupiest things .. forget what they are doing and joyfully start something else like running in circles for 30 mins..."

That statement simply struck a cord with me, and I was compelled to respond.
~Kristy~

Zachary (5 y/o son) -negative labs, no biopsy, gluten-free diet 3/06 with amazing results
*Enterolab testing: auto-immune response, main-Celiac gene/HLA-DQ 2, non-Celiac gluten sensitivity gene/HLA-DQ 3

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!"

--Oh The Places You'll Go
by Dr. Seuss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: