3 replies to this topic

#1 justme

justme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

when i first went gluten free i cut out all gluten as well as all milk products.. for a few days i pretty much lived on rice noodles and well.. rice.. lol.. and all was well.. now i am having milk and things arent going so well.. its much better than when i was eating gluten and milk.. but bleh.. question is does anyone else have a milk problem? how do you get calcium?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:43 AM

I am also casein intolerant. I take supplements. Green leafy veggies (except for spinach, which has a chemical that prevents absorption of calcium) are plentiful in calcium. The problem for me is that I'm going through TMJ treatment and none of my back teeth touch ... can't really chew leafy greens!!

The interesting thing is that milk is not as good as a calcium source as we think. Our country has one of the highest milk consumption rates, and one of the highest osteoporosis rates. My understanding is that protein depletes calcium. We tend to eat so much protein, including in milk, that it may contribute to our osteoporosis problem.

That's just from what I've read ... I'm certainly not an expert!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 IrishKelly

IrishKelly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:02 AM

when i first went gluten free i cut out all gluten as well as all milk products.. for a few days i pretty much lived on rice noodles and well.. rice.. lol.. and all was well.. now i am having milk and things arent going so well.. its much better than when i was eating gluten and milk.. but bleh.. question is does anyone else have a milk problem? how do you get calcium?

Dairy is definitely your culprate!! Stay away from milk for a couple of weeks and see what happens. And yes leafy, green veggies have tons of calcium. Try doing an internet search on calcium because there are a million other ways to get your daily calcium :)
Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.
Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.
Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.
Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

#4 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

I'm dairy intolerant - not just casein or lactose. Until I went soy-free, I drank a lot of fortified soymilk, which has great levels of calcium.

If you're concerned about your calcium consumption, take a calcium supplement AND try to eat lots of leafy dark greens.
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: