17 replies to this topic

#16 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:07 PM

I was Dairy-free for the first year and then I was able to tolerate all the dairy foods for the last 10 years and have been fine. So just wait a year and then try slowly reintroducing dairy, if you get sick from it then stop.

molly d-s
Molly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 EmilyP2004

EmilyP2004

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 11:50 AM

My doctor says that if you have flattened villi you are lactose intolerant.  I guess the end of those villi produce the needed enzyme to digest dairy.  Does anyone know if the villi grow back? 

I like cheese so will miss it.  I've heard there is rice cheese and soy cheese, anyone tried it?

:blink: I'm still trying to get adjusted to the gluten-free diet, I could be doing better but coming here really helps.

Lily

You should be tested for lactose intolerance before giving up milk & milk products.
If you have damaged villi due to celiac disease the microvilli (on the tips of those villi) which normally deal with lactose may be temporarily damaged, too.

When you cut out or cut down on lactose the microvilli re-grow & can work again.
The condition can be resolved by cutting out lactose- containing items for a few months or weeks if you are lactose (milk sugar) intolerant.

I had L I for several months after being diagnosed with celiac disease but was still able to digest hard cheese, gluten-free yogurt and goat's milk & cheese OK since these are very low in lactose.

I can now drink some ordinary milk each day without any reaction but have soy milk or lactose-reduced milk as my main milk.

#18 tammy

tammy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:35 PM

Hi Flagbabyds,

Were you lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: