This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy Free Fudge?

daffadilly

daffadilly Apprentice

Has anyone made fudge without dairy & no soy milk either? any recipes out there? Maybe using coconut milk?

I have some dairy free chocolate chips, & mini-marshmallows I see are dairy free.

Surely someone is making dairy free fudge!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

I've made it like this:

1 c. of nut butter (I've used crunchy peanut or tahini)

1 c. REAL maple syrup

1/2 c. carob powder (I'm allergic to cocoa)

heat the first two together, then remove and add carob. put in pan, fridge.

eat.

get fat. :P

Jestgar Rising Star

My mom makes fudge with coconut milk, I think it's a straight substitution. The kind of fudge made with marshmallow cream

mmaccartney Explorer

I haven't tried making fudge...even when I could have dairy :)

But, these people make the best gluten-free DF and nut free fudge I've found!

Open Original Shared Link

daffadilly Apprentice

Thanks Everyone, this is a start. I will post what I come up with & I just might try that chocolate site. I guess there is no gluten in their facility, I am just so super sensitive.

• 2 weeks later...
daffadilly Apprentice

Jestgar, I made my fudge like your mom makes with the marshmallows & it tastes wonderful, only thing was I made one third of my usual recipe which makes 5 lbs, and I guessed on the coconut milk & put a little too much, it might not harden perfectly. So, darn I might have to make it again before Christmas to test out the recipe :P

For those that cannot do dairy & cannot do chocolate, as I was cooking up the base of the fudge, I was thinking wow, you could just put in the marshmallows, & dried fruit like maybe some dried cherries, & nuts & some coconut & make a non chocolate candy.

If anyone wants to try this before I make my next batch, here is my recipe with the coconut milk amout adjusted to what I think it should be.

1 1/2 cups sugar

2/3 stick margarine ( if you can do dairy use butter)

1/2 cup coconut milk (or canned milk, or almond milk etc)

put ingredients in a heavy stainless steel pan, bring to rolling boil, boil for 7 minutes, stir in one bag of Gluten-free Casein-free chocolate chips & one bag of miniature marshmallows, (I use Kraft), stir in 2 cups of chopped pecans & pour into a buttered pan, let set overnight & cut the next day. I cut each piece & wrap in foil.

Note: I just made this for the second time & I used 1/2 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon of a Taste of Tai Coconut Milk, it tastes great but was almost a little too dry, so I would suggest to add another tablespoon or Two of coconut milk,

AndreaB Contributor

If you can have products with soy lecithin....I have a great recipe.

Carob Fudge from Newstart Lifestyle Cookbook

4 cups date or malt sweetened , non dairy carob chips (substitute with non gluten, non dairy chocolate chips)

1 cup almond or peanut butter

1 cup chopped nuts

1 cup raisins

Place chips and almond butter in a double boiler over low heat. Heat just until chips begin to melt, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Combine with nuts and raisins and mix together well. Press mixture into a flat casserole dish and chill. (I found it easier to line with wax paper.

I haven't made this since going gluten free so haven't tried it with non gluten, non dairy chips

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daffadilly Apprentice

Andrea, thank you so much for that recipe, I am putting it in my file, it sounds wonderful. Since I cannot eat chocolate bars anymore - because of the dairy, I am thinking I will have to make my own candy & this sounds more like something I would like on a regular basis.

The casien free gluten free chocolate chips are wonderful, this is the first time I tried them. I used SunSpire Organic Chocolate Chips. They do have soy lecithin in them, but I seem to be okay with a little soy.

Of course they have the disclaimer on the package that they are not guaranteed gluten free, but I get a stomach ache with just a whiff of gluten & I got nothing with this fudge!!!!!! I am just so excited to have some chocolate! !!! It is also my only caffein, since I do not drink tea, sodas, or coffee, so I have to be careful not to eat it too late, or I will be bouncing off the walls all night!

AndreaB Contributor

Have you tried enjoy life chocolate chips? I really like those.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Yummmmm.

Got to try these recipes. I can't have dairy either so am always on the lookout for safe CHOCOLATE!

daffadilly Apprentice

Artgirl, you will love the fudge & Amdrea's recipe sounds great. I have another candy recipe that I will post for you. It is dates & sugar boiled together with nuts added. I will have to look it up.

How long have you been gluten-free? Is your glycemia (sp) getting better?

Andrea, I have not gotten the Enjoy Life Chocolate chips yet, but I hear that a lot of people use them. I just picked this bag up at Whole Foods.

LonelyWolf307 Rookie

If you can find any dairy-free chocolate chips, semisweet maybe, it seems like pretty much everyone except me likes this recipe (I don't like chocolate unless it's in its bitter, unsweetened form). It's from Bette Hagman's vast collection.

3 cups marshmallows

1 cup chunky peanut butter, or creamy, but add peanuts to taste

2 cups chocolate chips

1 stick butter

Melt in a microwave, put in a container and let set for a while in the refridgerator, and enjoy.

On top of it all, it's next to impossible to mess this one up too :P

burdee Enthusiast
I've made it like this:

1 c. of nut butter (I've used crunchy peanut or tahini)

1 c. REAL maple syrup

1/2 c. carob powder (I'm allergic to cocoa)

heat the first two together, then remove and add carob. put in pan, fridge.

eat.

get fat. :P

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE. After 2 years off gluten, dairy and soy, I was recently diagnosed with additional egg and cane sugar allergies. So I thought I'd never find a 'safe' chocolate or fudge. I CAN eat cocoa and maple syrup, but not cane sugar. I have all those ingredietns (almond butter, real maple syrup and cocoa in my cupboard now. I can't wait to try that recipe!!! :)

BURDEE

• 1 year later...
J.A.momof3 Newbie
:) Hi, I'm new here. My daughter is gluten free, dairy free not including 7 or 8 other things she can't have! (Due to food intolerances) My son is dairy allergic. SEVERELY! Anyway, if you are looking for chocolate that is dairy free, Paskesz brand is dairy free for sure because it is Kosher parve for Jewish people who follow strict rules about when dairy can be eaten. Meat and dairy can never be eaten together, so parve means, kind of like, a neutral food. Can be eaten with meat or dairy. I'm also pretty sure that they are completely gluten free. If you look on their web site you can probably even order soy free. Especially during Passover which occurs near Easter. Soy isn't Kosher for Passover. Jewish markets are a wonderful place to get dairy free products! If you don't have a Jewish market near you, At least theres always ordering online!!!
Juliebove Rising Star
:) Hi, I'm new here. My daughter is gluten free, dairy free not including 7 or 8 other things she can't have! (Due to food intolerances) My son is dairy allergic. SEVERELY! Anyway, if you are looking for chocolate that is dairy free, Paskesz brand is dairy free for sure because it is Kosher parve for Jewish people who follow strict rules about when dairy can be eaten. Meat and dairy can never be eaten together, so parve means, kind of like, a neutral food. Can be eaten with meat or dairy. I'm also pretty sure that they are completely gluten free. If you look on their web site you can probably even order soy free. Especially during Passover which occurs near Easter. Soy isn't Kosher for Passover. Jewish markets are a wonderful place to get dairy free products! If you don't have a Jewish market near you, At least theres always ordering online!!!

Do you know where you can order online? I found their website and can't see that you can order from them. I saw some of this brand at other places but it doesn't list ingredients. And since they make things containing wheat, I would worry that they might not be gluten free.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I recommend the Enjoy Life chocolate chips for everyone, they're fabulous and they have only cocoa powder and cocoa butter in them, that's it, no soy! Enjoy Life makes food free from the top eight alergens, dairy soy gluten blah blah I forgt the rest, oh, nuts too.

J.A.momof3 Newbie

Hi juliebove, I replied earlier, but i think I did it wrong! I'll try this again. ( i'm not that computer savy, yet!) I did some research and found out some info. The paskesz brand of chocolate chips are gluten free. Go to www.paskesz.com/baking.html to see a list of items that are. I would never feel comforable with anyone taking my word for it. Also I found out that anything marked kosher for passover is gluten free EXCEPT anything that says contains Matzoh meal or matza ( sp?) meal/ matza Farfel or cake meal. There is a passover chat going on in the gluten free forum, you might want to check out. To order paskesz products, go to www.parkeastkosher.com. They are $3.59 a bag. Kind of expensive compared to at the Jewish market. Also check out www.chocolategelt.com. They sell the chocolate coins. Yummy! Hope this helps!!! Good luck with your little one.

Juliebove Rising Star
I recommend the Enjoy Life chocolate chips for everyone, they're fabulous and they have only cocoa powder and cocoa butter in them, that's it, no soy! Enjoy Life makes food free from the top eight alergens, dairy soy gluten blah blah I forgt the rest, oh, nuts too.

I buy those, and I do make them into chocolates, but it would be nice to find some chocolates made up that had no soy or dairy in them.

Juliebove Rising Star
Hi juliebove, I replied earlier, but i think I did it wrong! I'll try this again. ( i'm not that computer savy, yet!) I did some research and found out some info. The paskesz brand of chocolate chips are gluten free. Go to www.paskesz.com/baking.html to see a list of items that are. I would never feel comforable with anyone taking my word for it. Also I found out that anything marked kosher for passover is gluten free EXCEPT anything that says contains Matzoh meal or matza ( sp?) meal/ matza Farfel or cake meal. There is a passover chat going on in the gluten free forum, you might want to check out. To order paskesz products, go to www.parkeastkosher.com. They are $3.59 a bag. Kind of expensive compared to at the Jewish market. Also check out www.chocolategelt.com. They sell the chocolate coins. Yummy! Hope this helps!!! Good luck with your little one.

I checked, but they don't list the ingredients so I would hesitate to order. Daughter can't have soy and most chocolate contains it.

Thanks!

Juliebove Rising Star

This place sells soy/dairy free chocolate! Haven't tried it yet. Just found the link. Am hoping they will get some nice stuff for Xmas.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived