This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Don't Go To Ca Dreaming

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

Okay - as I'm trying to broaden my dining out options I thought to contact CA Dreaming a while back, to see if they could feed me safely. The lady I was dealing with there left the company before getting me an answer so I was left hanging. So I contact them again this week and deal with another lady. From her reply to me, I knew they did not know the first thing about feeding me safely and that is uderstandable to me. It's a regional chain based primarily in the south. So I was very polite and let the woman know that it didn't seem like CA Dr. was a good fit for someone with Celiac and that was fine. I then let her know all the places around town that are in their same price point that do offer gluten free meals, many with gluten free menus. I explained that unlike the Atkins diet, we are on a diet to keep from getting cancer so we weren't going away eventually so I was suspected that eventually her company would know more about gluten than they ever wanted to. My note was informational and professional and I tried hard not to be rude in any way.

Well today, I had an e-mail from the woman and then another under that with a guys name, no subject that I thought was a stock tip/spam. The woman explained that she went online to read about Celiac and feels that with cc issues, they would not be able to feed a group of gluten free diners (which I'd also inquired about) but she would accomodate one at a time - wow thanks.... I could have plain chicken, steak and a baked potato and that was all. If you know their menu it's quite extensive but I'd rather them be honest even if it means I will never go there again. Before replying to her I had to open all my work e-mails and the one I thought was spam. Below is exactly the note which I pasted from my mail program, and my reply to him is below that.

We have gluten free items. they're called steaks! This woman is on a mission.

Robert Kinsella

my reply:

Surely you did not intend for me to get this note............what a jerk you must be if you did. I'll make sure we don't bother such an inconsiderate company again. If you served fresh foods, you'd have a lot more than steaks and a baked potato that are gluten free. (end)

As I was typing this note, the phone rang and it was the lady mentioned above (she must have my number from the initial inquiry). She introduced herself and said she wanted to apologize for the very insensitve e-mail I received. I cut her off and told her I would make sure everyone with Celiac knew not to patronize their company, including all their restaurants and I reminded her that everyone with Celiac has friends and family that eat out with them. I then said 'good day' and hung up.

I'm not really asking anyone to boycott the comany because you may have great experiences with them but this guy (Robert) is a head honcho and I'd rather starve than give my dining out dollars to any place that hires that kind of person in a top brass position. I know he did not intend for me to get his note but guess what, apparently he doesn't know how his e-mail program works so I did. I'm printing his e-mail and ,y reply back and mailing both to the corporate office as soon as I can find out the president's name...pretty sure it's not Robert.

The company is called Central Archy and they own/operate the following extablishments: (cut and pasted from their website)

California Dreaming

#1 Ashley Pointe Drive

Charleston, SC 29407

California Dreaming

401 South Main Street

Columbia, SC 29201

California Dreaming

40 Beacon Drive

Greenville, SC 29615

864.234.9000 California Dreaming

3241 Washington Road

Augusta, GA 30907

The Tavern at Phipps

3500 Peachtree Road

Atlanta, GA 30326

Joey D's Oakroom

1015 Crown Pointe Parkway

Atlanta, GA 30338

New York Prime

405 28th Avenue North

Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

New York Prime

2350 Executive Center Drive, NW

Boca Raton, FL 33431

New York Prime

3424 Peachtree Road, NE

Suite 100 - Monarch Tower Atlanta, GA 30326

Fiesta del Burro Loco

960 Jason Boulevard

Hwy 17 Bypass @ 10th Avenue

Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Frank Manzetti's

6401 Morrison Boulevard

- Specialty Shops at the Park -

Charlotte, NC 28211

Gulfstream Cafe

1536 South Waccamaw Drive

- Marlin Quay Marina -

Garden City, SC 29576

Chophouse '47

36 Beacon Drive

Greenville, SC 29615

864.286.8700 The Tavern at Jupiter

1352 South US Highway 1

Jupiter, FL 33477

Carolina Roadhouse

4617 North Kings Highway

Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Lighthouse Grille

2600 Beach Boulevard

Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rikki Tikki Explorer

What a jerk that guy was! :angry::angry:

I had looked at this thread thinking you had come to Calfiornia and we didn't have gluten free foods. I was going to respond that I wished we had a bigger selection, at least where I live, a small town in Northern California.

After reading what you wrote I will never eat at that restaurant.

In fact I think I wil contact the restaurant and let them know what this "woman on a mission thinks!" Jeez, all I want to do is eat out safely.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up! California Dreaming (and their affiliates) have gone on my definate No-No list, as well as my badmouthing list!

It's a shame because they make a KILLER salad (which I highly doubt I can eat anymore, anyways).

Surely Mr. Kinsella did not intend for you to read his reply. But in this day and age, haven't we all learned that if you don't want to be held publicly accountable for something, DON'T EMAIL IT!

Not only that, but someone who is incapable of correctly sending an email probably shouldn't be in a management position to begin with.

Fine with me. I'm a hospitality major, so I just look at is as another top position opening up!

jenvan Collaborator

Ooo, let us know what kind-of response you get to your letter! :angry:

Thanks for the heads up! California Dreaming (and their affiliates) have gone on my definate No-No list, as well as my badmouthing list!

It's a shame because they make a KILLER salad (which I highly doubt I can eat anymore, anyways).

Surely Mr. Kinsella did not intend for you to read his reply. But in this day and age, haven't we all learned that if you don't want to be held publicly accountable for something, DON'T EMAIL IT!

Not only that, but someone who is incapable of correctly sending an email probably shouldn't be in a management position to begin with.

Fine with me. I'm a hospitality major, so I just look at is as another top position opening up!

From the woman's e-mail about what I could have, I assumed their dressings are not safe. She mentioned specifically that with breadcrumbs in so many things there, that cc would be an issue. I appreaciated her researching about Celiac and she just e-mailed me an apology (since I dismissed her earlier). She seemed to want to feed me safely, it's just that with all I have to choose from at other places, a plain steak, plain chicken and potato don't appeal to me but may to others. She took our plight seriously and for that I'm thankful. It's just that when the guy sent me the note by mistake, it really irked me that someone would be that rude. The fact that I got it did not make it rude, it was just rude, period. He did not change my mind about eating there since I already knew I didn't care to after finding out what bland options I'd have.

cluecke - I'm glad people with Celiac are going into the hospitality field. One by one, you'll get everyone you meet with the program. Best of luck to you!

Jenvan - sorry you were typing as I was. I don't have time to write a thoughful, informative letter today. I don't want to write a complaint letter per se. I will include copies of the e-mails of course and I will tell the president he may want to have someone teach Robert how to use his e-mail program. My goal is to inform the company just in case, in the future, they decide to consider offering more tasty gluten free meals and teaching their staff about Celiac. We all know that someone in that company probably has Celiac and either knows it or doesn't. The president's wife could get dx'd next month. From what I've been told, that is how Outback got on the gluten free bandwagon, an executives wife got dx'd. Anyway, I want to use this opportunity to educate and not berate (too much) so that I may affect change sometime down the road. That may never happen but it's worth a try. I'll post if I get back a reply. I'm going to try and make sure to send the letter next week. Happy weekend everyone!

LKelly8 Rookie
Okay - as I'm trying to broaden my dining out options I thought to contact CA Dreaming a while back, to see if they could feed me safely . . . So I was very polite and let the woman know that it didn't seem like CA Dr. was a good fit for someone with Celiac and that was fine. I then let her know all the places around town that are in their same price point that do offer gluten free meals, many with gluten free menus. I explained that unlike the Atkins diet, we are on a diet to keep from getting cancer so we weren't going away eventually so I was suspected that eventually her company would know more about gluten than they ever wanted to. My note was informational and professional and I tried hard not to be rude in any way.

You know, we can't win. :angry:

Try to be brief and simplistic and they'll interrogate you like a spy; try to politely educate and be truly informative like you did and they call you a "missionary".

kimjoy24 Apprentice

I actually had to do a profile of them for AOL CityGuide Atlanta. It's not convenient to where I live so I never considered actually eating there.

Not only is the remark rude, but possibly inaccurate. Not all steaks are created equally. Depending upon the marinade it's cooked in, or the sauce it's served with, it could definitely contain gluten. On their menu posted on their website the marinated sirloin says its "marinated for 48 hours in fruit juices, fresh garlic, soy sauce and spices." How much do you want to bet that they use a wheat-containing soy sauce??? :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Well I'm sure the soy sauce does contain gluten but in the woman's e-mail she did say plain, unmarinated steak and chicken were the only safe menu options, plus a baked potato. So I think they read enough to know at least that gluten could be in sauces. However, there is a new development in this saga. The woman has a sister who was told last week she needed to be tested for Celiac. Now it seems that the company may be interested in trying to feed us if they can learn more about how they could do that. I'll keep you posted if anything positive comes about from what started off negatively.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Thanks for the heads up. I dont live in the areas of any of those places. But I am without a doubt passing this info on to family and friends in the area. As everyone said before me, I am sure Robert didnt mean for you to get the email. Someone in management better teach him real quick about manners, hospitality (good for you for taking courses in that!), and how to deal with the public in general.

It does not sound like Robert has good people skills.

Please keep us up to date on any responses any one gets. :angry:

Archived