5 replies to this topic

#1 hjkmatthews

hjkmatthews

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:43 PM

Hi everyone. Well, it has been 6 months since my daughter was dx with Celiac, and she has a check up with her GI doctor next Friday. I was just wondering if she will be having another endoscopic procedure and biopsy scheduled to determine whether or not the gluten-free diet is helping her intestines to heal. If it is normal to have a second biopsy, when and how often? Thanks for any info you have!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:34 PM

I have heard 6 months to a year for the 2nd one. I had the first July 18 03 and the second May 25th 04. It is helpful since they can see if the gluten free diet is working. I am not an expert, but that is what my dr advised.
Lisa
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV
Confirmed Celiac by biopsy - July 18th 2003
4 people in family with Celiac Disease (mom, two brothers, me)
lisabarella at hotmail dot com

#3 JsBaby_G

JsBaby_G

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:58 PM

After my initial biopsy I had two more, one a year later and the other 2 years later. They just wanted to make sure I wasn't inadvertantly ingesting gluten.

Hope that helps!!
Crystal

#4 Guest_shar4_*

Guest_shar4_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:26 AM

Hi all, I haven't been here in a while, but I had a 2nd biopsy yesterday, and I was told this morning that there are still findings of inflammation consistent with sprue. I was very disappointed, since I am as gluten free as I know how to be, but I am thinking that this still may be an improvement, since the first EGD showed a tremendous amount of damage. I was told at that time, that everything she touched with the instrument caused me to bleed.

I know, I know, all this damage didn't occur in a day, so I guess I should have expected this, but I am feeling so much better, that I had assumed that I was all healed inside.

Anyway, more details as they become available.

And thanks for listening to me whine.

Sharon ;)

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:20 AM

More and more the standard is to avoid the second endoscopy. Negative or improved follow-up blood tests and improvement on the diet are now considered proof you're getting better and the villi have healed. If you DO have the second one, it should be more like a year after starting, but I personally wouldn't do it.

richard

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:49 PM

Two celiac friends (not on board) have not had second biopsies......I've heard no mention of one for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: