This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

One Word "inconvenience"

JennFog

JennFog Rookie

I was diagnosis with Celiac Disease in February 2006 and 5 vitamin deficiencies (D B12 Calcium Magnesium and Potassium). I have tried and tried to do this and I have cried and cried through this, but it all comes down to one word "Inconvenience". I realized this as I sat one day recently dwelling in my own polly puddle and said to myself, WHY can't I stick with this, it's not about the food... it's the "Inconvenience". I'll last 2 weeks or 3 weeks and one morning, when I'm running late, I eat a bag from the nearest coffee shop or out to dinner where everything is breaded and deep fried, what do you do, make your family get up and leave. I alway pickup the next day back to the diet, but I suffer first.

My husband and child just do not understand, it is hard to make 2 dinners every night. My doctor went as far as to offer to take me out of work, until my vitamin levels were better. But that wasn't feasible, I have a career, I can't pick up and go whenever I want. I won't have a job to come back to.

After 26 yrs, I have to turn my life upside down to deal with this. It seems I just don't have the time or maybe even patience. So I sit in pain and agony (you would think that, that alone would make me stay away from gluten but it doesn't) so I sit with my 5 vitamin deficiencies feeling tired and exhausted.

When does this get easier??? Any helpful hints on how to make this easier???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Hi Jenn, and welcome to this board.

Yes, it does get easier. But with your constant glutenings, your deficiencies can't get better, because your intestine isn't healing, and you're still not able to absorb those essential nutrients.

Also, stop cooking two different meals! Just cook a gluten-free dinner, your family won't even know unless you tell them. If your hubby complains, tell him you don't have the energy to cook two dinners, and he better get used to gluten-free ones. If you cook potato or rice, with veggies and meat (any gravy needs to be thickened with gluten-free starch or flour, of course), how is that different? For pasta, cook Tinkyada pasta for everybody, chances are they won't even know the difference. Those are normal, ordinary meals, nothing special about them.

As for rushing out of the house in the morning and not having time to eat breakfast: Buy some gluten-free snack bars (I think people mentioned something like Lara bars here), nuts etc. for those times. You absolutely have to stop buying gluten containing foods on your way to work when in a rush.

You need to consciously change your attitude. Every time you think, 'inconvenience', consciously tell yourself that getting well and staying well is not an inconvenience, but a necessity, and you are worth the effort of taking care of yourself.

You need to take good care of yourself in order to have enough energy to take care of your family and to do a good job at work.

Another thing: If your vitamin D, calcium and magnesium levels don't improve, you will get osteoporosis, no question about that. You can't take that risk! Also, has your doctor sent you to have a bone density scan yet? You really need to find out if maybe you already have osteopenia, or, heaven forbid, osteoporosis (unfortunately, it isn't uncommon for celiacs your age to have that problem already).

JennFog Rookie

Thanks Ursula for the advice, very much appreciated.

:D

I think I might be able to sneak some gluten free ingredients. The pasta will be tough because they will know that I can't eat regular pasta. They will know something is up.

Breakfast is my toughest meal. I haven't grasped the concept as my doctor would say, forget all you know about breakfast. Just eat, even if it is left over gluten-free dinner. But breakfast in my mind is... bagels, english muffins, toast, pancakes, french toast, in a box already made by Thomas, Lenders, Eggo or Aunt Jermina (sad isn't it, not even eggs hit the list, but really what is an overeasy egg without toast). But I will stock up on fruit and nuts and try to grasp that will be my new breakfast (if I have time, maybe an occassional omellette).

I have just joined this website, but I already think this is exactly what I need, I feel alone in the world, like I am the only one going through this. I tried finding a local group, but to no avail, but this online forum, seems better.

Oh one last note, going to a dietician was a joke. I knew more information in one week then they could find in the month between my appointment. They gave me documents from 1998, that were outdated and incorrect. It said corn pops was gluten-free, WELL THERE NOT!!!

chrissy Collaborator

jenn-----i second what ursula says-----don't cook 2 different meals. we have 8 kids still at home, only 3 of which have celiac, but we only cook gluten free meals. it is so much easier this way. we eat alot of the same things we used to eat "pre-diagnosis", we just use different ingredients or different brands. i do buy crackers, cold cereal and bread that are not gluten free for the rest of the family because it saves me some money that way.

you could serve tinkyada pasta to anyone and they would not know the difference.

GFBetsy Rookie

Jenn -

Here are some breakfast ideas/recipes. Also, you can check out the recipe section of this forum for breakfast ideas. Or look on Open Original Shared Link. Their waffle recipe is FABULOUS. A friend of mine (who has never eaten gluten-free baked goods before) tried them last weekend and said they are better than Eggos. We always make a bunch and freeze the leftovers. They reheat in the toaster just like Eggo waffles. (Just make sure you are using a toaster that hasn't been cross contaminated with your kid's wheat breads). Also, did you know that Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles are gluten-free? The last boxes of Trix and Cocoa Pops I bought also had no gluten containing ingredients. Good Luck!

Biscuit Breakfast Coffeecake

1 3/4 c. featherlight mix

3/4 tsp. xanthan gum

1 Tbs. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 Tbs. sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt

6 Tbs. Butter flavored shortening

3/4 c. milk

4 Tbs. melted margarine

6 Tbs. brown sugar

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until shortening is the size of peas. Add milk all at once. Quickly mix together with a fork. Pat into a 9 x 9 inch pan. Top with melted margarine and brown sugar. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.

Migas (serves 2)

4 Eggs

2 Corn Tortillas

2 - 4 Tbs. oil

1/4 c. crumbled bacon or chopped ham

1/4 c. shredded cheese

Salt and Pepper

Cut tortillas into 1 inch pieces. Fry until crisp in hot oil. Break in eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Scramble eggs. When almost finished, add ham and cheese. Remove from heat. Serve.

Bette Hagman's Featherlight mix

1 c. white rice flour

1 c. cornstarch

1 c. tapioca starch

1 Tbs. potato FLOUR (not potato starch)

Peach and Pecan German Pancake

1 c. featherlight mix

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 c. milk

4 eggs, beaten

2 Tbs. Margarine

1 (16 oz.) can sliced peaches, diced

1/4 c. chopped pecans

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together featherlight, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, milk, and eggs. Beat with whisk until smooth. Place margarine in a 9 x 13 pan. Melt in hot oven until margarine is sizzling (about 3 minutes). Remove pan from oven. Tilt to spread margarine over the whole bottom of the pan. Immediately pour batter into hot pan. Top with diced peaches, pecans, and cinnamon. Return pan to oven. Bake for 16 - 20 minutes (until golden brown). Serve with syrup or cream. Serves 4 - 6, depending on how hungry you are!

floridanative Community Regular

I would not try cooking two meals of you'll drive yourself crazy. Many, many great meals are naturally gluten free. For pasta dishes you'll need gluten-free pasta which hopefully you have by now. I went out the first week and got every type of Tinky. gluten-free pasta they carry at Whole Foods. Now I find I prefer another brand and thus, my Tinky. sits alone in the pantry. It takes time to learn but there is more food you can have than can't. I thought I'd never learn how to do this wierd gluten free life but I feel like I could be a gluten free consultant on the side. I also have more energy than I had at 30 (I'm 43). Do the work, make gluten free dinners and ask DH to cook for himself if that's not acceptable to him. He'll come around eventually. It's really your choice, either go gluten free or risk cancer at a relatively early age. No one but you can make yourself go off gluten. Good luck!

bklynceliac Apprentice

jenn - i totally agree, breakfast is the hardest part. Pretty hard to grab some scrambled eggs and go. Some non-cooking suggestions:

-Foods by George makes a great cumb cake that's essentially a classic coffee cake. Available on line and at wholefoods. They also do great english muffins.

-A lot of the gluten-free bread companies make cinnamon raisin bread or bagels that are pretty decent.

-Wholefoods makes a killer gluten-free scone, and decent gluten-free muffins.

-Glutano has good cereal bars that have a great fruit taste. Apple cinnamon is my favorite.

-Fruit and yogurt is always solid.

-When things are dire i slab some peanut butter in between a couple lundberg rice cakes and hit the road. Filling, tasty, and totally safe.

Hope it helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

I've noticed that as Society demands more and more convience that our health gets worse and worse.

I find that spending time planning makes up for the extra work. Doing my cooking on the weekends. Reworking the foods I eat so that I'm eating good healthy foods rather than convenient foods.

I'm a hard ass, if I had a family and I was cooking meals for them, we'd all eat the same way. Good healthy food. If they were Jonesing for wheat they could get it somewhere else. :P

I do wish you luck!

happygirl Collaborator

Am super busy at work, but I HAD to post. We are here to help and I'm happy you found us :)

Buy some Tinkyada gluten free noodles. They come in all sizes/types. Spag, penne, elbows, etc. Lots of health food stores, many grocery stores, and online. They are everyone's "favorite" noodle on the board. We use them in my house just like regular noodles....I have served them to people and I swear they didn't know the difference. Best example was at a football tailgate--we made all gluten free food (for my sake) and no one knew that it was "weird food"---we made a pasta salad and all my girlfriends LOVED it! I am a PICKY eater and I love it.

Do not make two different meals, girl!!! Now, sometimes there are additions at my house (i use corn torts and hubby uses flour) or he might heat up some rolls, etc.....but we always make yummy, gluten-free meals at our house.

Hope this helps---will check back in.

Guhlia Rising Star

www.kinnikinnick.com has excellent bagels and other baked goods. They even have donuts. If you can't break the "on the run" habit, then get some of this stuff. It's delicious. As far as eating out with your family, do you have an Outback Steakhouse nearby? They have a gluten free menu. As does Carrabba's, Bonefish Grill, PF Changs, Cheeseburger in Paradise, and several other restaurants. You don't need to gluten yourself to have a meal in a restaurant.

The other thing that may really help you is to set aside two hours (or more) each weekend, or one night a week, and devote that time to making yourself quick fix meals. I make biscuits, pancakes, bread, muffins, cookies, brownies, chicken nuggets, breakfast sandwiches, etc. and freeze everything. Then I have a good variety of quick meals when I'm in a hurry. I also always keep a package of Oscar Meyer hot dogs in the freezer for emergencies. They heat up while I grab my purse and they are surprisingly portable without the bun.

JennFog Rookie

Thank you everyone!!!

Yes I will stop making 2 meals, 6 months too late!!! I have found the Tinkyada at my local Shaw's, it is great, it took me a while to master the art of cooking it, it requires longer cooking and I like al dente pasta (my italian side), I have found tinkyada is not good on the al dente side.

I like to take the cheese sauce out of a box of mac and cheese and put it in the tinkyada, unfortunately I am assuming it is gluten free, I have written kraft 3 times with no response.

I guess I will have to make a trip to Whole Foods in Providence, as a true RI girl, 35 minutes is a long ride. Soon they will have one 5 minutes away in Cranston (can't wait).

In Feb when I first found out, I went to Whole Foods, 1 shopping trip cost me $150 and I just never went back. I am reading a book and from what I was told, somewhere in there it will tell me how to be a savy gluten-free shopper, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Any tips on what to buy and not buy gluten-free wise, would be great because out of the $150 in grocercies a lot was not appetizing. The bread was really roughing it, any good brands out there? I have good gluten-free pasta and pizza shells already. Everything else was a bust, cookies, crackers, brownies... ick and expensive.

I have searched the internet, just trying to find a list of gluten-free foods at the regular supermarkets, even if it's not bread, cookies or crackers, just a list I could breeze through and say oh i'd eat that. On my own I found a 2 rice mixes out of like 100, they all add wheat, but it took a while but I found 2 (sad).

Thanks again!!!

Guhlia Rising Star

The Kraft cheese powder is gluten free, BUT YOU WILL LIKELY CONTAMINATE YOUR PASTA WITH THE WHEAT POWDER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PACK!!! It only takes one crumb to make your body sick (even if you don't get any symptoms). If you have a Wal-mart near you, they sell the cheese powder in a canister. I'm sure that you could order it online somewhere as well.

As for staple foods, I stick with Kraft products because they label clearly. Here's my normal grocery store list.

Minute brand white rice

Oscar Meyer Weiners

Kozy Shack rice pudding

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Lays natural tortilla chips

Kraft shredded cheddar

Pace Medium Salsa

celery

JIF or Peter Pan peanut butter

Kraft ranch dressing

Carrot sticks

Fresh fruit

Pop Secret 100 calorie pop butter flavor

Dora stars cereal

Fresh meat

Muir Glen fire roasted tomatos

Oscar Meyer smoked turkey sausage

Lea & Perrins worchestershire sauce (in US only I believe)

Kraft shredded mozzerella cheese

Ragu spaghetti sauce (for chix parm w/o spaghetti)

happygirl Collaborator

jenn-velveeta is gluten free. Kraft is a company that states they will always clearly list gluten containing ingredients. You will learn to read ingredients well and will know if it gluten-free or not. On the other hand, if there is ANY doubt, DO NOT EAT IT. "Assuming" in terms of gluten free is almost just as bad as not reading the label (and that was truly not meant in a mean way!!!)

I was in grad school when I was dx so I understand trying to eat gluten-free, on a budget, but still feel fulfilled. I promise it can be done and you WILL learn! Soon, you will be offering advice to others :)

Happy that you are finding support on this board :)

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I tried to slip my husband some of the Tinkiayada spaghetti, and he noticed, so I just mentioned that he could cook up his own if he wanted next time. I will usually cook mine, and when it's done, he just rinses the pot and cooks his cuz it takes less time. I have also tried to make more Gluten Free meals. Rice dishes with chicken and veggies, mexican food (both husband and I LOVE), potato dishes, soups (and heat up some nice gluten-free bread). As far as breakfasts go, if you like cereal Nature's Path has some good corn flakes, I also like EnviroKids Gorilla and Panda cereals. I love making eggs with potatoes, and adding a little salsa on top, wrapped up in a corn tortilla. Yes, get some good "on the go" foods. I will buy nuts in bulk at the health food store and portion them out in ziploc baggies with dried fruits and m&m's, always have one in my purse. And if you don't have a weekend to cook up your own food, just look for when you do have extra time. I will put together some soup for dinner, and while it's cooking, I'll make up some muffins or a loaf of bread. Keeping stuff in individual portion ziplocs is key, that way you can just keep everything in the freezer until you need it. I also buy some of those baby cans of tuna fish, and will eat them at lunch with a baggie of nut crackers. Kinnikinnick (sp?) makes some good hamburger buns, and their bagels are decent if you have some cream cheese and something to drink (a little thick in my opinion, but i guess that's how most bagels are anyway). Also, once you know what you like, check out amazon .com. They have loads of gluten-free stuff you can buy in bulk. I like the EnerG preztels, and Pamela's cookies. You can also get ready-made meals like Thai Kitchen bowls, which are really nice when in a hurry or at the office.

The key to making this lifestyle work is to not let yourself have the opportunity to slip up. My husband got mad at me last night for trying to sneak one of his fries from wendy's. I tell him all the things I can't eat, so he knows, and keeps me in line :) You need to help your family see how important this is. You don't want to get cancer or bone disease. You want to be healthy and feeling good. I first told my relatives that eating ANY gluten was like eating rat poison, to help them understand i couldn't have it at all. That got the message through. And if your fam still has a hard time eating gluten-free, offer them the chance to help prepare their own meals. I still keep regular white bread in the fridge for my husband, and he will make turkey sandwiches or grilled cheese for lunches. The key i think is helping them see how you need their help in keeping yourself healthy. Once they get it, they will be more understanding and patient.

It's a hard thing to go through, and we here don't have it all mastered, but the nice thing is that we have this forum where we can learn and grow together. So don't feel like you're completely alone :) We're all here too!

Good luck to you!

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm glad everyone's already convinced you not to make two separate meals! That was the first thing that jumped out at me about your post. Not only is it draining on you, but it increases the risk of contamination and I think it makes you feel left out or different or something. Gluten free food is normal food, there's no reason why non-celiacs can't eat it, too. Making one gluten-free meal might hel your husband understand the seriousness of this, too.

I definitely don't think of this disease as inconvenient. What's inconvenient is not being able to live my life because I'm too sick. Get a bunch of gluten-free snacks and keep them in your car and at work so you'll always have something around in an emergency. In my desk drawer I have Dove chocolates, apple sauce, gluten-free pretzels, tea, gluten-free rice bars. I bring my lunch everyday. I used to check for my keys and wallet when I left the house; I now check that I've got my snack with me, too. It takes a bit of a shift in thinking, to always have food with you, but it's worth the extra five minutes I spend in the morning getting lunch ready.

It sounds like you might be pressed for time. When I get home from the grocery store, I slice up all my cheese so it's ready to put on sandwiches, I wash my apples and put strawberries in mini tupperware so they're ready to grab. There's lots of stuff you can do to speed things up.

As for going out to eat - think of some "safe" foods that most restaurants have. Things like baked or mashed potato, salads, chicken, etc. Ask people where they're planning on going before you go so you can plan ahead. I like to look up menus online and call the manager before I go. That way I know exactly what I'm going to eat before I get there. Don't be afraid to suggest a different restaurant if you don't like the one everyone's going to. Know some "safe" restaurants around where you live so you can suggest those when you're going out to eat.

If you learn to plan ahead a little, the diet isn't that inconvienent.

sparkles Contributor

Lots of great advice out there.... what really stood out in the original post was the word "INCONVENIENT". For me, it has always been more INCONVENIENT to have explosive D when I get gluttened. I am sorry that your family has not been more supportive...cooking 2 meals would really be hard...especially since just having the gluten stuff in the kitchen has at times gluttened me. Besides, gluten-free food is really healthy for you. Check out the library and come up with some good gluten free recipe books. I collect recipe books and I find that it is a challenge to change favorite or what appear to be good recipes into gluten-free foods. Other than the bread for sandwiches, saltines for soup, and noodles for chicken noodle soup, every thing else that we have in the house is gluten-free. My husband loves the gluten-free pasta - for spaghetti and lasagna. there are some great gluten-free foods out there. You just need to think outside the box a little. If you can have corn, make sandwiches using corn tortillas instead of bread. Breakfast doesn't have to be cereal, pancakes, etc. If you have leftover gluten-free pizza, eat that. my husband fixes gluten-free waffles for me....yes, they come frozen and they are good. Sometimes you do have to think about what you are going to eat but in the long run, it beats the RUN to the bathroom!!!

queenofhearts Explorer

One of my favorite speed-breakfasts is a rice cake or corn cake with peanut butter & raisins. Actually I have 2 usually & they are super quick to prepare, + no clean-up!

And I second everyone else-- you'll find your family will enjoy gluten-free dinners just fine. Check out the gluten-free foods at Epicurious.com & you'll see there's plenty of yummy stuff out there!

Did you try the Tinkyada with the energy saving method? It is easier to catch it at its al dente stage that way. (Don't use the timing on the package-- test it repeatedly til you find your best timing.) I'm with you, hate mushy pasta.

Eat well & be well!

Leah

happygirl Collaborator

jenn-by the way, give us some examples of things that you fix that are "normal" and someone on here can tell you a gluten free version...sometimes it is as easy as switching the brand of something. Mexican food, italian, casseroles, chinese, thai, american.....you name it, we can eat it. Just takes a little bit of tweaking....some more than others....but many are simple.

Dyang Apprentice

I think eating gluten-free is inconvenient only for those who have to travel a lot.

When I eat at home I find eating gluten-free easy to follow. I have always shunned processed foods even before gluten-free diet. It is now a matter of choosing the ingredients more carefully. Commercial seasonings and condiments have never been to my liking. Now I just am extra careful and use natural spices and seasonings.

Why is there a need to prepare two separate meals? I simply don't see why it is difficult for those why can tolerate gluten to do without it.

par18 Apprentice
I would not try cooking two meals of you'll drive yourself crazy. Many, many great meals are naturally gluten free. For pasta dishes you'll need gluten-free pasta which hopefully you have by now. I went out the first week and got every type of Tinky. gluten-free pasta they carry at Whole Foods. Now I find I prefer another brand and thus, my Tinky. sits alone in the pantry. It takes time to learn but there is more food you can have than can't. I thought I'd never learn how to do this wierd gluten free life but I feel like I could be a gluten free consultant on the side. I also have more energy than I had at 30 (I'm 43). Do the work, make gluten free dinners and ask DH to cook for himself if that's not acceptable to him. He'll come around eventually. It's really your choice, either go gluten free or risk cancer at a relatively early age. No one but you can make yourself go off gluten. Good luck!

I like "really" agree with this post. If two meals had to be prepared every time in our house I don't think the marriage would last. There is nothing wrong with having naturally gluten free meals for everyone. Whenever one family member is forced to eat something different it just "singles" out the person even more. The thing about children is if they are the only one with Celiac then sometimes the parents won't eat the same as the child. It is like do as I say not as I do. The biggest contribution the rest of the family can make toward the person with the illnes is to try to act as normal as possible. This is especially true at mealtime. There is nothing wrong with everyone eating a little healthier. Outside the home it can be everyone for themselves.

Tom

Queen Serenity Newbie

Hi, all!

I agree 100%! Two meals is definately out! I have three kids and a husband to feed, and believe me, they eat what I eat! I have had them all on this healthy diet for dinner time only. It's really for their own good. Foods today are so unhealthy for everyone. Especially when they all want fast food or take out! In fact, I have to hide my gluten free snacks, because my kids will eat them! This is how much they enjoy they food. Please encourage your family to learn more about Celiac's. Make them understand that you cannot eat these foods for any reason. Eventually, they will come around. They have to help you, because it's very difficult the first year. During this time, your body needs to heal properly, and you have to take the diet seriously. If you don't, you will suffer horribly. Believe me, it will get easier with time. At least today, there are so many choices in the food department. When I was diagnosed, there was hardly any variety. Good Luck! If you need a shoulder, just drop me a line.

Vicki

Gluten free since 1995, and still going! :)

gfp Enthusiast
Thanks Ursula for the advice, very much appreciated.

:D

I think I might be able to sneak some gluten free ingredients. The pasta will be tough because they will know that I can't eat regular pasta. They will know something is up.

Excuse me BUT SO FREAKIN WHAT! :ph34r::angry:

I'll say this straight....

If you cook gluten containing food you ARE poisioning yourself ....

If you had the energy, two sets of pans, two sets of washing up stuff and two sets of cooking utensils AND you are very diligent AND you are very lucky ... you might just get away with it.

You can't bake or use flour at all.... you will breath it in and solids breathed in eventually get moved back up and down into the stomach. You can't just get it out from under your nails... if you use the same toaster its impossible ... if you use the same dishcloth it will transfer gluten.

Professional kitchens are regualted to using different color chopping boards and knives for red meat, white meat, fish and vegetables.

Why is this?

Well is there any harm in cutting up some beef and then using the same board and knife to chop vegetables for are going to cook with the meat?

No.... of course not... I mean the next thing you do is stick them together in a pan.

The reason is because people are only human and we make mistakes.

It is absolutely imperative that your husband supports you in this.

Personally I let no gluten in my house! (except as follows)

If my girlfriend wants to eat it in the house then its on throwaway plates and forks. (knives I permit since they can be cleaned just using some kitchen roll) and she disposes of pizza boxes, takeaway cartons etc. indide a plastic bag which is then tied.

She keeps a few things like cookies in sealed ziplock bags but NOT in the kitchen EVER.

You might think this is extreme but my girlfriend is absolutely fine with it.... WHY? Because I am a moody, lethargic SOB when I get glutened! I do 90% of the cooking anyway but she loves baking me gluten-free carrot cake or treats.. I don't relly eat much cake anyway but its special when she makes it....

She eats pasta out (she works in an Italian deli/resto) and she gets to bring food home but it is sealed and then sealed again in ziplock....

What you need to do is stop making gluten free a trial and make it a lifestyle.

Breakfast is my toughest meal. I haven't grasped the concept as my doctor would say, forget all you know about breakfast. Just eat, even if it is left over gluten-free dinner. But breakfast in my mind is... bagels, english muffins, toast, pancakes, french toast, in a box already made by Thomas, Lenders, Eggo or Aunt Jermina (sad isn't it, not even eggs hit the list, but really what is an overeasy egg without toast). But I will stock up on fruit and nuts and try to grasp that will be my new breakfast (if I have time, maybe an occassional omellette).

I have to ask... if you are a stay at home mom then you need to make some time... you can't do this while your ill and have no energy... if you are working then WHY ARE YOU COOKING?

Either way...

You can make eggs florentine

I just copied this gluten recipee

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen leaf spinach

6 tomato slices

3 whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted

6 poached eggs

Tarragon sauce

Paprika

Cook spinach according to package directions, omitting salt; drain well. Place a tomato slice on each muffin half. Spoon an equal amount of spinach over each slice; top with a poached egg. Spoon 2 tablespoons Tarragon Sauce over each egg; sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings (about 222 calories per serving).

TARRAGON SAUCE:

1/2 c. reduced-calorie mayonnaise

3 tbsp. water

2 to 3 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. prepared mustard

1/4 tsp. dried whole tarragon

1/8 tsp. white pepper

Just make a bed out of the spinach and leave out the muffin .... or you can alsways get a gluten-free muffin but why bother.

Obviously use gluten-free mayo.... and if you prefer grill some bacon as well or instead of spinnach for easy eggs benedict...

Note frozen spinach can just be microwaved from frozen....

If you really want a big breakfast... then this is the English breakfast gluten-free...

gluten-free bacon, saussages and beans, fried egg and if you want starch add some gluten-free grits etc. (Ok grits aren't English)

You can also make bubble and sqeak with left over potatoes and cabbage....

I have just joined this website, but I already think this is exactly what I need, I feel alone in the world, like I am the only one going through this. I tried finding a local group, but to no avail, but this online forum, seems better.

I am REALLY pleased for you BUT... You must bring hubby on board....

Oh one last note, going to a dietician was a joke. I knew more information in one week then they could find in the month between my appointment. They gave me documents from 1998, that were outdated and incorrect. It said corn pops was gluten-free, WELL THERE NOT!!!

Yes, that a whole new debate! :angry:

Queen Serenity Newbie

GFP,

One word: HARSH! She is new at this. I didn't even try to overwhelm her. As far as you are concerned, dare I say PARANOID!!!!!!! :o I live in a house with three children and a husband, and believe me, I use the same toaster without incident! I also allow gluten filled products into the household, and I use the same dishes too!!!! As long as you properly clean things, no one gets hurt. I am going on 11 years with this, and believe me, I've never had any incident anywhere! The only thing I don't allow is free flowing flour. So, have a little compassion for the newbie! My advice to her was to bring her family on board, because that is very important. It's not important to make her paranoid about utensils or dishes!!! You should have a little more understanding of the situation, since you were there yourself!! She has to understand that eating gluten of any kind will hurt her. No one can do it for her! We can only guide her through this rough time. My advice to you is not to give advice at all!!! You make it sound too much like a horror story!!

Vicki

Gluten free since 1995

jerseyangel Proficient

With all due respect, I see nothing wrong with telling a person new to the gluten-free lifestyle the truth. It's what I wanted when I first found this board. GFP is someone who always takes the time and goes the extra mile for someone new. I think it was unnecessary to tell him or anyone not to give advice--we all have different styles of speaking, but I think we can all see his intent is good--like just about everyone here.

I have my own toaster--I didn't when I was first diagnosed because I didn't know any better. The same with the cutting board, wooden spoons, collander and scratched non stick pans. Not to mention the personal care products! I was also still getting sick--a lot.

As for cooking two meals at once, it's not necessary at all. Usually all that is needed is a simple substitution or two--most of the dinners I make for all of us are the same things I've always made. Obviously, the pasta is different, but mostly, it's the same food I've always cooked.

My household is not 100% gluten-free. My husband and son live here, too. They have gluten items in the kitchen, but they are very good about keeping them in the cupboards and drawers that I ask them to. My gluten-free foods are in separate cupboards and pantry. I also don't have wheat flour in my kitchen at all--way too much risk, and since I'm the only one who bakes or cooks anyway, there is no longer a use for it. They know what happens when I or my food comes in contact with gluten, and they act accordingly--they don't want me to be sick any more than I want to be.

I've only been at this for 14 months, so I don't pretend to be an expert by any means. I do think that it's important to let those that are new to this know how to live with this disease safely. We all know that some of us have more pronounced symptoms than others, but the disease process is happening just the same.

CarlaB Enthusiast

People all have different personalities and ways of speaking ... in this medium, you have to read and assume the best because even things said in a nice way can be taken wrong when you can't hear tone of voice and make eye contact. Gfp is usually straight to the point.

I am in the middle of transitioning to a completely gluten-free kitchen. Some people may be able to share toasters, but I am one who would get sick from it. We have 8 people in our home, 3 of us need to be gluten-free, the others eat gluten when away from home, or outside (cookouts, pizza, etc.). The thing is, after 8 months, I'm simply not getting better. I cook completely gluten-free. Most things I cook are naturally gluten-free anyway ... my theory, partly to do with the fact that I have six children, is you eat what I cook. Period. Hubby can eat gluten for lunch at work, but it's not a food group, so it's no one is missing it when I don't provide it for them! Prior to being gluten-free, I never thought, oh, what wheat am I going to serve tonight? Now, I just plan around not having wheat. When we have others over for dinner, gluten-free never even needs to be mentioned, only when we eat over at someone else's house does it need to be a topic for conversation. I'm glad you've already decided two meals is not necessary!

Is hubby on board with this? My husband's opinion is that this illness was given to us, I happen to be the one who suffers from it physically, but the cross was given to us to carry together. Thus, just because it's me who's sick, does not mean he does not have to make lifestyle changes, too. Be sure your husband is on board with all this. It makes a difficult situation more tolerable.

Archived