This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Ease

vallojo

vallojo Rookie

Just picked up this product called Gluten Ease(21.95) from a local health food store. I tried it the other day I took 2 pills (thou they only recommended taking 1) then eat a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread......boy was it good. Then I waited felt no symtoms for the rest of the day. The next morning everthing seemed good but then it started : ( my abdomen got warm and I started to get a little uncomfortable. I would not call it a full blown reaction I think the pills helped but never the less was couch born for about three hours. I am not sure if it was product failure or me being worried that it might not work.

If anyone has tried this or products like this please let me know what your exp was for I know I pray for the day when a turkey sandwich wont lay me up for the day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Franceen Explorer

Maybe you needed to continue to take the pills until the sandwich had a chance to completely vacate (like the next morning too).

What are the ingredients of these pills and what state did you get them in (assume USA?).

GravStars Contributor

i don't think that stuff is intended for celiacs, just people with general digestive issues relating to gluten consumption. if i'm right, i think it helps digest gluten but it doesn't stop the body's autoimmune reaction to gluten that celiac causes. or is that the point, just to to help the symptoms in glutening situations?

vallojo Rookie
Maybe you needed to continue to take the pills until the sandwich had a chance to completely vacate (like the next morning too).

What are the ingredients of these pills and what state did you get them in (assume USA?).

DPP lV Protease thera-blend 60,000 HUT

Amylase thera blend 15,000 DU

Glucoamylase 15 AGU

Got it in New York its made by Enztmedica

i don't think that stuff is intended for celiacs, just people with general digestive issues relating to gluten consumption. if i'm right, i think it helps digest gluten but it doesn't stop the body's autoimmune reaction to gluten that celiac causes. or is that the point, just to to help the symptoms in glutening situations?

Thanks I never thought of that but that would explain why the reaction was not as intense.

kimjoy24 Apprentice

I bought some of these at the health food store as well. I had already read on the board what they were supposed to be and knew they weren't a miracle cure, but I am curious to see if they will possibly help out with cross-contamination issues. I eat out frequently and attend events where food is present for my job and while I have avoiding obvious gluten down to a science, I always know that CC is probably present.

Because these are also supposed to help with casein ingestion, I might be more willing to try deliberately eating something like ice cream to see if it helps with digestion, since I already tolerate hard cheeses and butter well despite testing positive for lactose/casein intolerance. I really am not even tempted to deliberately ingest gluten at this point. And like someone else on the board pointed out, just because it might lessen the physical symptoms doesn't mean it still isn't damaging your gut and raising your chance of cancer.

I've only used them once in a possible CC setting so I can't say definitively if they are useful or not. I certainly don't think they can hurt, but I'm also not a doctor. :)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I have something called a glutenzyme that I found. I don't eat gluten with it but it helps when I get accidentally glutened.

Archived