This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dh Question + Various Questions (newbie)

capecodda

capecodda Rookie

I am new here. The Dr. I went to recently during what seems to be a celiac episode asked me if I get rashes. I mentioned that I have what I thought was my herpes type 2 fairly regularly and typically around ovulation. In the past few months, I have had more outbreaks. One month, I had like 4 in a row. The pimple like sores itch intensely, and show up in the same basic area. I just always figured it was my herpes. For those of you who have celiec related rashes, do you tend to have them re appear in the same area? I am seeing other similarities in regards to my genetic make up and predisposition to Celiac. I was an intense asthmatic as a child. I knew excema well. Over the past few years, I have also had intensely itchy areas on my left elbow, but cannot see any sign of rash..just this phantom intense itching in the same area. Itching so bad, I usually break the skin scratching. Right now is the worst allergy time of the year for me as well and I have had increasing "episodes" of what appears to be celiac. Do you relate with what I am explaining? Some questions....

1. Are you folks more reactive when your seasonal allergies kick in due to pollens and mold?

2. As far as the damage and healing process after these episodes, do we ever heal or is there inevitable lasting damage to the intestines?

3. Is IBS a common fringe benefit (ok joking here it's no benefit..:-) for people with Celiac or food allergies?

4. How many of you experience your pain on the middle left area of the abdomen at the beginning of an episode?

5. When having reactions, does anyone FEEL their body struggling to get gluten foods through, slightly elevated temps, extreme fatigue, slowed and backed up digestion, loss of appetite...yet almost immediate relief when eating a potato or 'safe foods". Do you experience dehydration due to what seems like inability to absorb any fluids into your tissues during an episode (malabsorption)?

6. Do any of you have a geographin tongue too?

I had to laugh last night when I read about the elimination diet and which foods are "safe" as this has become my fare as I have experimented with non reactive foods and they are: peanut butter and jelly on rice cakes, potatatoes, cottage cheese, rice, vegetables, fruit, yogurt, cranberry juice, meat with vegetables, home made chicken soup.. I have found by trial and error, these foods are safe. They seem to fall in line with what other Celiacs use in their gluten free regimen. During episodes, I feel like a drying up plant but when I cut out grains, I re hydrate, sweat again; like a plant that has been watered.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I get rashes on my scalp, only there.

I get the IBS symptoms, which are only welcome when I've been suffering from constipation, which is pretty common, too!! <_<

I get dehydrated VERY easily and carry Propel in my car for that situation. It seems to help better than regular water and has less sugar than Gatorade, which I will also use for dehydration. This has been one of my major symptoms over the years and has put me in the emergency room several times.

The damage should heal, but it takes time. There is a small percentage of celiacs who have permanent damage.

My seasonal allergies are completely gone. This amazed a relative who saw me recently. He said it was the first time in my life (I'm 43) that he's seen me not have a runny, itchy nose.

I eat meat, chicken, eggs, fruits, veggies, potatoes, and rice. In a pinch, I'll buy an allergen free food at the health food store. Ruffles saved me, at one time it's all I could eat. Fortunately, they are high in calories!! I still eat them when my stomach is upset. I hoard them. I only like the Natural Ruffles.

capecodda Rookie
I get rashes on my scalp, only there.

I get the IBS symptoms, which are only welcome when I've been suffering from constipation, which is pretty common, too!! <_<

I get dehydrated VERY easily and carry Propel in my car for that situation. It seems to help better than regular water and has less sugar than Gatorade, which I will also use for dehydration. This has been one of my major symptoms over the years and has put me in the emergency room several times.

The damage should heal, but it takes time. There is a small percentage of celiacs who have permanent damage.

My seasonal allergies are completely gone. This amazed a relative who saw me recently. He said it was the first time in my life (I'm 43) that he's seen me not have a runny, itchy nose.

I eat meat, chicken, eggs, fruits, veggies, potatoes, and rice. In a pinch, I'll buy an allergen free food at the health food store. Ruffles saved me, at one time it's all I could eat. Fortunately, they are high in calories!! I still eat them when my stomach is upset. I hoard them. I only like the Natural Ruffles.

YES! Just by instinct, I started drinking Propel as I buy it for my son and have leraned the B vitamins are important during episodes. My naturepath Dr. gave me tryptophan with B6, B12 and green tea extract as well to suppliment my struggling digestive state.

CarlaB Enthusiast
YES! Just by instinct, I started drinking Propel as I buy it for my son and have leraned the B vitamins are important during episodes. My naturepath Dr. gave me tryptophan with B6, B12 and green tea extract as well to suppliment my struggling digestive state.

I never thought of it for the b vitamins ... good point. I do seem to naturally crave it when I'm sick.

Archived