This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Bartenders?

tiffjake

tiffjake Enthusiast

(edit-duh, I was trying to type "what are some safe drinks"...man, I need to go to bed!) :rolleyes:

I know that there are safe alcohols, but if I am just wanting to order a drink at a bar off of the menu, are there any drinks that I can order and KNOW are safe (based on the ingredients)? Martini? Daqueri? Rum and coke? What can I order with out "reading labels"? :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

i'm not a bartender, but i remember awhile ago i read a thread about the nozzle things (sorry, i don't know the term) that you can press the different buttons and different sodas/water come out of (for drinks)... anyway, a few bartenders mentioned sometimes they get plunge them into the glass (like when it fills up), so if the alcohol itself has gluten, it gets on the spout, which can gluten you, in the end.

my opinion would be if you want something other than wine or something in a bottle, then get something without a mix (like a dry martini), or see if they (which i doubt, though) have cans of pop for mixing.

hope this helps a bit!

kari Apprentice
i'm not a bartender, but i remember awhile ago i read a thread about the nozzle things (sorry, i don't know the term) that you can press the different buttons and different sodas/water come out of (for drinks)... anyway, a few bartenders mentioned sometimes they get plunge them into the glass (like when it fills up), so if the alcohol itself has gluten, it gets on the spout, which can gluten you, in the end.

my opinion would be if you want something other than wine or something in a bottle, then get something without a mix (like a dry martini), or see if they (which i doubt, though) have cans of pop for mixing.

hope this helps a bit!

the soda gun shouldn't ever touch the liquor, but even if it did, they are usually cleaned at least once a day, and the soda (mix) comes from inside, so doesn't really come in contact with the outside of the gun anyway, so that's really a non issue. i think just about all liquors and mixers (soda/juice/milk) are gluten free, so you should be all set with anything other than beer. especially, like i've said before, at smaller, family owned restaurants or nicer restaurants (as opposed to chains) because they're more likely to use basic fresh ingredients (i.e. fresh strawberries and rum for a daquiri instead of some sugary processed mix) i'm a bartender and like to experiment with new drinks, and have never had a gluten problem after drinking, just stay away from beer, and be more careful at a bar during its busy time because the beer from the taps can get all over everything. just be nice and polite and ask for a glass fresh from the dishwasher if it looks like that's going to be an issue where you are.

elonwy Enthusiast

I loooove martini's and fruity things. I always ask what brand of juice they're using, and ask to read the label if they'll let me, its usually not a problem. I don't trust Tropicana. Pucker is gluten free, so thats an easy one, I love my green apple martinis. I go to bars that carry blue ice and Chopin on purpose so I can have martinis. Rum and coke is always a nice fallback. I adore Mojitos, PF Changs has a pear mojito that is awesome. I do avoid grain alcohol, as I get an allergic type reaction in my sinuses. Gin fizzes are nice if you like Gin. ( its a Gin and Tonic with lime). For shots, I do tequila, or Silk Panties ( better with Blue Ice than Chopin). Dekuyper Schnapps are gluten free. Sadly, I can no longer have my Godiva Chocolate Martinis. <sigh>

Despite appearances, I don't actually drink that much, but when i do, I really enjoy it. :)

Elonwy

Edit: I wanted to add, I'm super sensitive (kissed a boy last night who drank a Guinness and it made me sick-arg!) and I've yet to have trouble at the bar. I do watch them make it and check ingredients on new things. They're usually pretty patient with me, though I do get funny looks.

eleep Enthusiast

Oh, so the kissing/cross-contamination thing is real! Wow.

eleep

lorka150 Collaborator
(kissed a boy last night who drank a Guinness and it made me sick-arg!)

hey, at least it was a quality beer! don't want to waste that smooch on a bud or blue!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I haven't had a problem with rum and Cokes. Even if you order a soft drink at a restaurant, they often come from the bar, so if contamination were a problem, you wouldn't want to drink anything but bottled water. I don't think it's much of an issue.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ~jules~

In my early 20s I was a bartender, I left that a long time ago, not for me :P However my husband and I do enjoy a few drinks here and there. I haven't had a problem with rum n coke or wine, although I haven't developed that "love" for wine that some have. :D I think your safe with rum, whiskey, vodka, hard cider. As far as mixed fruity things I think it may get complicated, not impossible but complicated, lol. Can you really get glutened by kissing someone! Sheesh, I joked about that with my hubby, is it actually true? One word keeps popping into my head since I got dx, and the more I learn, REDICULOUS!!! lol...

CarlaB Enthusiast
In my early 20s I was a bartender, I left that a long time ago, not for me :P However my husband and I do enjoy a few drinks here and there. I haven't had a problem with rum n coke or wine, although I haven't developed that "love" for wine that some have. :D I think your safe with rum, whiskey, vodka, hard cider. As far as mixed fruity things I think it may get complicated, not impossible but complicated, lol. Can you really get glutened by kissing someone! Sheesh, I joked about that with my hubby, is it actually true? One word keeps popping into my head since I got dx, and the more I learn, REDICULOUS!!! lol...

Yea, I find humor in this, too. Seems crazy. It is crazy, but it's our lot in life!!

pinkpei77 Contributor

ok.. so i am a bartender at a VERY busy bar. and i read this thread before i went to work last night beacuse i had already had an opinion, but i wanted to work a busy saturday night and come back on here and see if i felt the same.

and i am sticking with my original opinion.

i wouldnt drink anything from the gun at MY bar.

maybe somewhere else, but my bar is way to busy and the i just saw cc issues EVERYWHERE.

maybe im a little more sensitive and maybe its just me being overly cautious.

i had a girl onetime ask what brand of pineapple we used and i said "dole" and she said "oh..okay i can have that one, thats on the list" i thought hmm.. i wonder if she has celiac.. so i asked, she said yes and i was sooooo super careful for her...i personally rewashed a glass , put a new tip on the bottle , got a fresh can of juice and got her a straw out of a new box . she was soooo grateful and thanked me alot.

now with that being said.. me doing all of this for her..(which i didn't mind) my other bartender helped 3 people in the time i did that.

so needless to say.. if you are in a BUSY BUSY bar.. i think cc issues are something to be concerned about.

this is just my opinion and from working in the same bar for 6 years i will not drink soda from the gun .

elonwy Enthusiast

Yeah I've also gotten sick while sharing a cigarrete with someone who was drinking a beer. That was a while ago.

Had I known he was going to kiss me I probably wouldn't have let him, but I got taken by surprise. I think it was because he was drinking beer at the time, and I could actually taste beer. I didn't get really sick, but there was definite gurgling after that and some unhappiness yesterday.

It was a really good kiss though.

Elonwy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
now with that being said.. me doing all of this for her..(which i didn't mind) my other bartender helped 3 people in the time i did that.

so needless to say.. if you are in a BUSY BUSY bar.. i think cc issues are something to be concerned about.

this is just my opinion and from working in the same bar for 6 years i will not drink soda from the gun .

Thanks so much Pink for the post.

I'll remember this post and think i'll put it in my 'drinking folder'

judy

IrishKelly Contributor

Watch out for whiskey (and Scotch) because they are derived from gluten containing grains like barley or wheat...i can't remember which one though <_<

CarlaB Enthusiast
Watch out for whiskey (and Scotch) because they are derived from gluten containing grains like barley or wheat...i can't remember which one though <_<

If they don't add back sour mash, they're okay because they are distilled.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Calverts Extra blended whiskey is ok ?

I've asked before but never really got a firm answer.

thanks judy

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I usually get Ketel One and 7, with lemon. I haven't had a problem yet but after pinkpei77's post maybe I'll just start drinking straight vodka...

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I've been bartending for three years now. I can see how CC could be a serious issue involving the soda gun. I have personally never had any problems, and I don't treat my occassional soda any different than anyone else's. Granted, I might just not be as sensitive to those things yet.

In terms of drinks, it varies so much from bar to bar in terms of the products and mixers used (juices and sour mixes, etc...) My bar is great 'cuz we squeeze our own OJ and grapefruit juice.

If you're highly sensitive to CC, then I would stick to wine. But if you're looking to go out on a more regular basis, I would recommend that you find a bar that you like and stick with that one. Most bartenders - especially if they're not busy - don't mind doing that extra favor or two for you. check out one or two of your favorite bars in terms of mixers, etc... and get to know the staff (make sure you tip well, because otherwise we just don't care as much!). If you're at least a semi-regular customer who consistently tips well, I'd say the majority of bartenders will be willing to go the extra mile.

I know I would. But maybe I'm just a super nice person. :)

elonwy Enthusiast

As a semi regular who tips very well, I have to say it really does wonders. Everyone wants to be appreciated at thier job, and if someone goes the extra mile for you, and pulls out all the juice boxes so you can read the labels, and answers those bazillion questions so you can get a fruity girly drink, they deserve a really big tip.

I personally love the feeling of going somewhere that knows what I'm going to order before I get all the way to the bar. But thats just me.

Rum and coke is my fallback if I'm at an unfamiliar place. That or just tequila shots and water. This whole switching to only hard alcohol thing has got a few of my friends a little worried, but I just try to explain I haven't got much of a choice ;)

Elonwy

pinkpei77 Contributor
(make sure you tip well, because otherwise we just don't care as much!). ,

hahaha. so true.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
As a semi regular who tips very well, I have to say it really does wonders. Everyone wants to be appreciated at thier job, and if someone goes the extra mile for you, and pulls out all the juice boxes so you can read the labels, and answers those bazillion questions so you can get a fruity girly drink, they deserve a really big tip.

I personally love the feeling of going somewhere that knows what I'm going to order before I get all the way to the bar. But thats just me.

Rum and coke is my fallback if I'm at an unfamiliar place. That or just tequila shots and water. This whole switching to only hard alcohol thing has got a few of my friends a little worried, but I just try to explain I haven't got much of a choice ;)

Elonwy

Elonwy, I wish all my customers had your attitude!

barbara3675 Rookie

It was my thoughts that if you drank distilled alcohol like vodka made from grain that it is o.k. I have had limited amounts of it with no after effects. It was Ruby Red Absolute with canned cranberry juice (which, by the way, is the new hot drink this summer and so nice---a light pink grapefruity taste). I own a tavern and restaurant and drink from the gun on a regular basis with no problem. I think I will, now that it has been mentioned, though, be a little more cautious and cleanse the gun before I use it, just to be sure, but will continue to use the gun. Barbara

jenvan Collaborator

I drink Strongbow & Woodchuck Ciders. Also, rum (bacardi and Malibu), Maker's Mark bourbon, Cointreau.

Jinscoe Newbie

Ever since I was diagnosed I quickly found a love for hard ciders. That's been over three years ago. I learned to like rum and coke or a martini as well. I was never really much of a beer drinker but a few bars in my area have started to serve Bard's Tale gluten-free beer. And a local brewer (Widmer) has been experimenting on thier own with a gluten-free beer which they have on tap. So I've been lucky enough to have no problems finding something to drink when out with friends.

I definitely miss Chambord though... a black martini used to be my favorite.

And I definitely agree with the tipping conversation!

olalisa Contributor
Ever since I was diagnosed I quickly found a love for hard ciders.

So hard cider is okay?? Can you tell me some brands, because I think I had that at a party or two before my dx, but I didn't pay attention to what exactly it was.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I definitely miss Chambord though... a black martini used to be my favorite.

So, is Chambord not gluten-free? I haven't been drinking it, but I do like a little bit of it in Champagne at Christmastime!

Archived