This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Guard

hannahsue01

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Just wondering if any of you out there have used or know anything (good or bad) about the Gluten Guard Software. It sounds helpfull but expensive. Just wondering if it's worth it or not. Thanks.....any input would be helpfull. I just find it really agravating to look and read every single lable while my 4 year old is whining and my baby is crying and my husband is trying to push me out of the store. I find it hard to know everything that we can not eat....half of wich I can't even pronounce.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

hm, never heard of it, but I can see how that would be handy. Or, if you have the opportunity to go shopping without the family, I know that makes it a lot less stressful. If not, I do a lot of my research before I head to the store, checking the websites of foods I frequent and such. Good luck to you.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

It's a program that is saposed to tell us a ton (100,000) of products from food to bath products that are gluten free. I wish I could get out to the grocery store on my own. I have yet to leave my youngest daughter alone with anyone besides a nurse. Both her grandmothers and her father panic during an emergency....or at least they did when our oldest daughter used to choke on allot of food. She has allot of health issues and I guess I am not ready to give up being over protective. Her pediatrition doesn't want her in a shoping cart due to germs so it takes two people to go shopping. On top of that are shopping trips are long since we usually only go once maybe twice a month since we live about an hour from a decent grocery store. I have tried doing some of the research with some tips found on this site but it gets all to confusing for me. With names I don't know and lists that are out dated. I guess I am just overwhelmed. Thanks for the input.

penguin Community Regular

From what I've read, the Clan Thompson Smart List is better than Gluten Guard. I have never used gluten guard, but I have the clan thompson one for my palm and it's really handy when shopping. I bought the palm just for that purpose, actually, lol.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
From what I've read, the Clan Thompson Smart List is better than Gluten Guard. I have never used gluten guard, but I have the clan thompson one for my palm and it's really handy when shopping. I bought the palm just for that purpose, actually, lol.

Would you recamend that program for a newbie to this whole celiac shopping thing? Was it worth the money in your oppinion to purchase the program and pda? Is it farely easy to understand and use? I am ok with computers but I'm no genius. I am looking for somthing that is not to time consuming to use while shopping.

Would you recamend that program for a newbie to this whole celiac shopping thing? Was it worth the money in your oppinion to purchase the program and pda? Is it farely easy to understand and use? I am ok with computers but I'm no genius. I am looking for somthing that is not to time consuming to use while shopping.

I was a newbie when I bought it, and for me, yeah, it was worth it. The palm is great since I'm doing weight watchers too and I can use my palm for that. When you buy the clan thompson software, you get it on your computer too so that you can look up things before you leave to go shopping. It's also updated quarterly and you get a subscription for a year. Once you get the hang of how it's used, it's easy to look up things. Also, if there is something that isn't listed, you can email them and they'll check on it and add it to the next update. They also verify everything on the list by phone, so I feel confident in the information. Summary: I like it and it was worth it :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I am not ready to give up being over protective. Her pediatrition doesn't want her in a shoping cart due to germs so it takes two people to go shopping. .

You're not overprotective! Whenit comes to the health of your children, especially if there are health issues, caution is better than not!

I know how you feel about the shopping carts--I carried my oldest (who had open-heart surgery when he was 2) in a sling until he was 3+ and I was 7 months pregnant with the next one!

Would her pediatrician approve of the shopping cart if you used an antibacterial wipe on any part she might touch, and washed her hands after? Once I caved in and put my oldest in the shopping cart, that's what I did. I now have "graduated" to just having all my kids wash hands the minute we get home from the supermarket. I used to use Purell, but never really liked that as well as hot soapy water. I keep wipees in the car, and feel that with them, at least I'm wiping the germs off (with the Purell, they stay on the hands--yeccch)!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
You're not overprotective! Whenit comes to the health of your children, especially if there are health issues, caution is better than not!

I know how you feel about the shopping carts--I carried my oldest (who had open-heart surgery when he was 2) in a sling until he was 3+ and I was 7 months pregnant with the next one!

Would her pediatrician approve of the shopping cart if you used an antibacterial wipe on any part she might touch, and washed her hands after? Once I caved in and put my oldest in the shopping cart, that's what I did. I now have "graduated" to just having all my kids wash hands the minute we get home from the supermarket. I used to use Purell, but never really liked that as well as hot soapy water. I keep wipees in the car, and feel that with them, at least I'm wiping the germs off (with the Purell, they stay on the hands--yeccch)!

Thanks....it's a little comforting to know I'm not the only "protective mommy". Our little girl was born 3 months to early and almost had lung surgery.....she had a hole in her lung (lucked out on that one). She was on a vent just short of three months not to mention a ton of other problems. The docs tell us that a common cold could easily kill her and that scares me to death. They told us that even when our 4 yr old gets home from pre-school that she has to change her clothes and take a bath immeaditly. We are sapossed to disenfect the surfaces in the house daily and use hand sanitzer when entering the house and change our clothes after contact with the public....especialy children. When were shopping we go through a large amount of hand sanitizer. I couldn't handle purell myself.....it made my hands chaped to the point that they would bleed. We use what the hospital used wich had a lotion in it and we have had no problem with it. I believe it is made by 3M but you have to get it online. We wipe down the cart but I guess I am still paranoid. I hope your son is doing well now!

I was a newbie when I bought it, and for me, yeah, it was worth it. The palm is great since I'm doing weight watchers too and I can use my palm for that. When you buy the clan thompson software, you get it on your computer too so that you can look up things before you leave to go shopping. It's also updated quarterly and you get a subscription for a year. Once you get the hang of how it's used, it's easy to look up things. Also, if there is something that isn't listed, you can email them and they'll check on it and add it to the next update. They also verify everything on the list by phone, so I feel confident in the information. Summary: I like it and it was worth it :)

Thanks.....it sounds like this is worth looking into!

utdan Apprentice
Just wondering if any of you out there have used or know anything (good or bad) about the Gluten Guard Software. It sounds helpfull but expensive. Just wondering if it's worth it or not. Thanks.....any input would be helpfull. I just find it really agravating to look and read every single lable while my 4 year old is whining and my baby is crying and my husband is trying to push me out of the store. I find it hard to know everything that we can not eat....half of wich I can't even pronounce.

I haven't tried Clan Thompson's but the following might help somebody who is thinking of purchasing Gluten Guard for their pda.

I bought Gluten Guard for my Palm Tungsten E2 but it said the pda required more memory. Being new to the pda thing I went out and bought 500 MB memory expansion card. Still doesn't work. Then the company got back to me and told me the software has to be installed soley on primary memory only (the expansion memory card is considered "secondary memory" and is useless with this software). The program requires at least 50-60 MB of ram memory and my new E2 only came with about 30. So make sure you know your pda can handle it before you buy. I did get a full refund on the software though.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Thanks....it's a little comforting to know I'm not the only "protective mommy". Our little girl was born 3 months to early and almost had lung surgery.....she had a hole in her lung (lucked out on that one). She was on a vent just short of three months not to mention a ton of other problems. The docs tell us that a common cold could easily kill her and that scares me to death. They told us that even when our 4 yr old gets home from pre-school that she has to change her clothes and take a bath immeaditly. We are sapossed to disenfect the surfaces in the house daily and use hand sanitzer when entering the house and change our clothes after contact with the public....especialy children. When were shopping we go through a large amount of hand sanitizer. I couldn't handle purell myself.....it made my hands chaped to the point that they would bleed. We use what the hospital used wich had a lotion in it and we have had no problem with it. I believe it is made by 3M but you have to get it online. We wipe down the cart but I guess I am still paranoid. I hope your son is doing well now!

Thanks.....it sounds like this is worth looking into!

Is this true for all premies or does your little one have a specific disorder that puts her at risk? We were never told to worry about any of that, and our son was 4 1/2 pounds with a hole in his heart. ???

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
Is this true for all premies or does your little one have a specific disorder that puts her at risk? We were never told to worry about any of that, and our son was 4 1/2 pounds with a hole in his heart. ???

I know they recamend using hand sanitizer with all preemies. She was born at 2lbs 9oz. The smaller they are the more at risk they are for problems and severe illness. She was also diagnosed with a chronic lung disorder. The doctors put a hole in her lungs when they vented her when she was born.....they called it a nemothorax. They came within a few days of having to fix her lung surgicly....thank God they didn't have to. She was on a vent for 3 months a cpap for 3 weeks and oxgen at home for another 3 months. They said she will never compleatly outgrow this problem but she should be able to lead a fairly normal life once she is older. I guess with the additional lung problems they are extra worried about her getting somthing like pnemonia or rsv becuase it would be harder for her to recover. All I know is that her pediatrition told us to take these procations and we took him seriously. I guess knowing what I've been told I could never forgive myself if somthing happened and I hadn't done what I was told. So far we have been lucky and she hasn't been sick since coming home. I hope she stays healthy again this year now that the flu season is coming back up. She starts back up on her synagyst shots in October....prevents rsv.

Gluten Slayer Rookie

The clan thompson software looks good, I downloaded the free trial. If you buy the computer software does it come with palm software too or is that a seperate purchase? I don't have a palm yet but would consider one for this reason. Thanks for any help!

The clan thompson software looks good, I downloaded the free trial. If you buy the computer software does it come with palm software too or is that a seperate purchase? I don't have a palm yet but would consider one for this reason. Thanks for any help!

The palm software is a little bit more, and it doesn't come in the trial version. So worth it though, especially if you're out or at someone else's house and you want to check something real quick. Also, the trial version doesn't have all the products listed. They're a good company, I'm glad I got it.

Gluten Slayer Rookie
The palm software is a little bit more, and it doesn't come in the trial version. So worth it though, especially if you're out or at someone else's house and you want to check something real quick. Also, the trial version doesn't have all the products listed. They're a good company, I'm glad I got it.

Thanks, did you purchase both the pc version and the palm or just the palm? Also have you tried the gluten guard? I downloaded the demo of that also and it does't seem bad either. Gluten Guard says it contains 100,000 products and Clan's only has around 5,600?

Thanks, did you purchase both the pc version and the palm or just the palm? Also have you tried the gluten guard? I downloaded the demo of that also and it does't seem bad either.

You just buy the palm version, but the pc version is downloaded with it. I haven't tried gluten guard, but I've heard more positive things about the clan thompson list. No program will be totally comprehensive, you just have to find the one that works best for you :)

Gluten Slayer Rookie
You just buy the palm version, but the pc version is downloaded with it. I haven't tried gluten guard, but I've heard more positive things about the clan thompson list. No program will be totally comprehensive, you just have to find the one that works best for you :)

Thanks for the help! I have to decide which one to get. I like the clan thompson software but Gluten Guard has so many more products.

Thanks for the help! I have to decide which one to get. I like the clan thompson software but Gluten Guard has so many more products.

FWIW, I've seen posts that say that the gluten guard products aren't that reliable, and that an unusual number of things that are definitely gluten-free come up as "undetermined". You may want to do a search of past posts on gluten guard.

Archived