6 replies to this topic

#1 mle_ii

mle_ii

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

I saw a GI Dr today and I'm curious about some lab tests I'm getting done.

One is for Lactose Intollerance and it's a blood test. What does this entail and how does it work in comparison to the breath test?

How do they test for Bacterial Overgrowth?

Has anyone done an upper GI x-ray where you drink barium? What was this like?

Finally I'm getting a Dexa scan as well, what's this like?

I have a bunch of other tests, though I know about them.

Oh and it still seems like the GI Drs don't know much about Microscopic Colitis :( Still seem to be grasping at straws. Talked about high fiber, pepto bismol and endocort (sp). The usual. Seem to be even clueless about celiac/gluten sensitivity. Didn't seem very impressed with the stool testing other than the gene test, nor did they seem to care much about the IgG test. Talk about heads in the sand. :(

Mike

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 momandgirls

momandgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

Well, I can help with a couple of your questions...I also had the lactose intolerance blood test. My understanding is that the blood test is for adults and the breath test for children (my daughter had the breath test). Also, while any lab can draw for the blood test, it is much more difficult to find a place that will do the breath test (we had to travel an hour to a major children's hospital to have it done). Anyway, you can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before - they take blood and then you drink a solution of lactose mixed with water (tastes a bit chalky and like very watered down orange koolaid). Then, blood is drawn every half hour for, I think, two hours. It took a couple days to get the results. I had a mild stomach ache after. I've also had an upper GI with barium. They take a bunch of xrays at first and then take a bunch of xrays with you in different positions (standing, sitting, etc.) while drinking barium so they can watch it go down your esophagus and into your stomach. The drink is cherry flavored and definitely chalky tasting - it doesn't taste good but it wasn't as terrible as I was anticipating either. Good luck!

#3 mle_ii

mle_ii

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Thanks, I'll have a bit less anxiety about it all now.

I'm curious, what were the results of the lactose test?

#4 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, I'll have a bit less anxiety about it all now.

I'm curious, what were the results of the lactose test?

I've never had the lactose test done...would be a little worried about it, knowing how I do with lactose (probably would be running for a bathroom before they could do a blood draw!) ;)

My Barium test involved no food or drink after a certain time the evening before. Right before the test I had to quickly injest a powder followed by water (the powder instantly fizzed while I swallowed.) Then I had to swallow the barium (they can add different flavours to it.) Didn't taste too bad. Then I was intructed to move into different positions on an xray table that moved from vertical to horizontal position...essentially the xray records the movement of the Barium through your system. Once the test was over I was instructed to drink lots of water throughout the day to help pass the barium out of my system.

Michelle

#5 momandgirls

momandgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

The results of my lactose intolerance test were very abnormal - I had suspected it for a very, very long time but my doctor wanted the test just to make sure. I had a mild stomach ache after the test but it wasn't nearly as bad as, say, if I had a piece of cheese.

#6 mle_ii

mle_ii

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

The results of my lactose intolerance test were very abnormal - I had suspected it for a very, very long time but my doctor wanted the test just to make sure. I had a mild stomach ache after the test but it wasn't nearly as bad as, say, if I had a piece of cheese.

Oh man, the last time I had cheese I was miserable. I even went for an Aged Cheddar that supposedly wouldn't contain any lactose. I suppose it could have been some other ingredient in the cheese as I suspect the Anneto (sp) coloring, but I've had Milk Protein Isolate (basically all that's left is whey and casein) and didn't see any problems there. Lactaid milk also seemed ok, still felt a bit off, but nothing like the cheese incident.

What sucked even more was that the day I had cheese was the day my mom came up to visit, I was pretty much on the toilet the whole time she visited after eating the cheese. :(

Mike

#7 momandgirls

momandgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

I can't tolerate any cheese (not even soy cheese because of thyroid problems) or lactaid milk or any other dairy at all and, really, the stomach ache I got from the lactose test was minimal. It really wasn't horrible and I was able to continue my day as usual. I think it really is a minimal amount of lactose that they use for the test. I understand that you're hesitant but, honestly, all I can tell you is that I can't tolerate any amount of dairy (even if it supposedly contains no lactose and/or use Lactaid pills) and I really wasn't that uncomfortable after (or during) the test. By the way, the amount that you drink is fairly minimal, too - like 6 or 8 ounces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: