This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update, Saw Doctor

CarlaB

CarlaB Enthusiast

So many of you have asked how I'm doing and have encouraged me along on getting healthy again, I thought I ought to post this quote of something I wrote on another thread that updates you all about my doctor visit. I think this doc is a keeper! An MD, but one who has branched out into alternative treatments because she understands that there are so many of us who are subclinical in our ailments but are too sick to function normally.

Thank you all for your support.

Hi everyone! I found an MD who has branched out into alternative treatments because so many of her patients were obviously ill and came out as healthy on conventional tests (sound familiar to any of you? :) ). So, I tried to make an appt., they said she was on vacation till Sept. 12 ... so my husband called, she's there today, and leaves tomorrow till Sept. 12 ... he's a salesman, what can I say? He got me an appt.!!

So, she looked over all the paperwork I had. I have all the test results from everything that's been done so far. I also took her the Enterolab results. She looked over everything and said that she could do a $1000 blood panel and that it will all come back normal. She said that the blood work that I had done last November showed that it wouldn't be a B12 deficiency, so from a conventional sense, I'm healthy ... and this is why she has branched out into other areas.

She said that her guess is low adrenal function, that the hair analysis will probably prove this. She has an acupuncture guy that comes in tomorrow, so I'll be trying something totally new to me! She also is referring me to a naturopath for supplementation ideas.

She said that low adrenal function can cause autoimmune reactions and that the Enterolab tests proved I was having them. However, she said that since I don't have celiac, just a tendency for gluten intolerance, that she thinks I will be able to consume things in the future that cause a reaction for me now. I see the logic, but I'm also curious whether it works the other way around, too, like the chicken and the egg. Which came first, the gluten intolerance or the low adrenal function. However, it would be nice to not have to worry so much about cc in the future!

Oh, I should add, this can all be tied to blood sugar issues ... I was thinking of several of you when I was hearing and reading about this ... for various reasons, blood sugar, ongoing unexplainable problems, etc. Doc said to look up adrenal function but not to bother going to conventional medicine sites.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mythreesuns Contributor
So many of you have asked how I'm doing and have encouraged me along on getting healthy again, I thought I ought to post this quote of something I wrote on another thread that updates you all about my doctor visit. I think this doc is a keeper! An MD, but one who has branched out into alternative treatments because she understands that there are so many of us who are subclinical in our ailments but are too sick to function normally.

Thank you all for your support.

Interesting.....I would love to have more information about adrenal functioning. Any suggestions of where to look?

CarlaB Enthusiast
Interesting.....I would love to have more information about adrenal functioning. Any suggestions of where to look?

I just did a search for "low adrenal function" and "adrenal dysfunction" to find out more info. I'm just getting started myself on the research. It's interesting though, and it's a pretty good fit for me ...

lindalee Enthusiast

That's wonderful Carla. I think Valerie Saxton sent me something on that can't remember. Maybe try her site.

'

eleep Enthusiast

I'm also very interested in this -- and it's great that you're getting somewhere with this stuff!

queenofhearts Explorer

Glad to hear you & the new doc are homing in on the problem... you deserve to feel GOOD!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast
That's wonderful Carla. I think Valerie Saxton sent me something on that can't remember. Maybe try her site.

'

I did a search for Valerie Saxton and couldn't find anything ... any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lindalee Enthusiast
I did a search for Valerie Saxton and couldn't find anything ... any suggestions?

I'll look it up. In the book, "From Fatigued to Fantastic" by Dr Jacob Teitelbaum has some info---Treating the underactive adrenal problem with low doses of adrenal hormone usually banishes the syptoms of low blood sugar. He prefers using prescription hydrocortisone such as Cortef instead of the adrenal glandulars available at health food stores. The adrenal content of over the counter adrenal glandulars is unknown and varies from batch to batch. Toxicity or overdosing is too easy. If you can't get Cortef, or prefer to try a natural approach first, you can try using licorice, vit. C, ginseng, and echinacea to improve adrenal function as follows: If you want all this let me know-- Take Vit C 500-2000 milligrams each day.

Licorice acts as an adrenal stimultant and antacid.

Ginseng reduces fatigue and improves exercise capacity.

Echinacea helps candida infections.

Carla, there are quite a few pages in this book. He is an internist and leading researcher in the chronic fatique and fibromyalgia. I heard him speak on Your Health. I believe is web site is " vitality101.com.

Try ValerieSaxion.com.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definately look up both websites.

I love licorice tea! I have a whole bunch of it because, oddly enough, my KIDS love it! During the winter they all sit around the kitchen drinking licorice tea!!! :lol::lol: Even the boys, even the little ones! It's from licorice root, for those who haven't ever had it, and tastes nothing like licorice ... it tastes more like sugar water. I buy two or three boxes at a time when it's cold outside!

I found a website with a good explanation of adrenal fatigue Open Original Shared Link I wonder if it'll post, it appeared informational to me, not a sales tool.

My doc referred me to a naturopath, but I'll wait till I get the hair analysis done. She wants to be sure my supplement program is right for my needs.

lindalee Enthusiast

I love licorice tea! I have a whole bunch of it because, oddly enough, my KIDS love it! During the winter they all sit around the kitchen drinking licorice tea!!! :lol::lol: Even the boys, even the little ones! It's from licorice root, for those who haven't ever had it, and tastes nothing like licorice ... it tastes more like sugar water. I buy two or three boxes at a time when it's cold outside!

I found a website with a good explanation of adrenal fatigue Open Original Shared Link I wonder if it'll post, it appeared informational to me, not a sales tool.

My doc referred me to a naturopath, but I'll wait till I get the hair analysis done. She wants to be sure my supplement program is right for my needs.

That sounds good. Hope the sites help you.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I hope you get some answers and some relief soon. It seems you have had a long hard road and I hope you feel better very soon.

What kind of Licorice tea do you get? I recently bought some of the Yogi Egyptian but found out it has gluten. :angry: Do you know of a safe brand? I miss my licorice so bad.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I hope you get some answers and some relief soon. It seems you have had a long hard road and I hope you feel better very soon.

What kind of Licorice tea do you get? I recently bought some of the Yogi Egyptian but found out it has gluten. :angry: Do you know of a safe brand? I miss my licorice so bad.

This is from the Yogi website:

I’m allergic to wheat and gluten. Do your teas contain these?

Currently, only five Yogi Teas contain barley malt, a source of wheat and gluten. These teas are Fasting Tea, Stomach Ease Tea, Calming Tea, Kava Stress Relief Tea and the Decaffe Roast Tea. Since our manufacturing plant also produces organic cereals, wheat or gluten may at some point come into contact with our teas. It is also possible that any given green tea, black tea or organic herbal tea may contain an extremely miniscule 1 to 2 parts per million of gluten as an incidental by-product.

It sounds like the licorice tea is fine, except for the cya statement that it could have contamination ... but so could anything out of my kitchen. :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

Stash Teas are all gluten-free. They have a Licorice Spice Tea--

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor
This is from the Yogi website:

I’m allergic to wheat and gluten. Do your teas contain these?

Currently, only five Yogi Teas contain barley malt, a source of wheat and gluten. These teas are Fasting Tea, Stomach Ease Tea, Calming Tea, Kava Stress Relief Tea and the Decaffe Roast Tea. Since our manufacturing plant also produces organic cereals, wheat or gluten may at some point come into contact with our teas. It is also possible that any given green tea, black tea or organic herbal tea may contain an extremely miniscule 1 to 2 parts per million of gluten as an incidental by-product.

It sounds like the licorice tea is fine, except for the cya statement that it could have contamination ... but so could anything out of my kitchen. :rolleyes:

Great I am glad to hear that. I was told by the person who runs the local health food store that it wasn't on the gluten free list. In this case maybe I will take the CC risk. I am happy I didn't throw it away yet and think I'll go make a cup. Thanks so much for your time.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Great I am glad to hear that. I was told by the person who runs the local health food store that it wasn't on the gluten free list. In this case maybe I will take the CC risk. I am happy I didn't throw it away yet and think I'll go make a cup. Thanks so much for your time.

I had literally just finished a cup of it when I read your post about it not being gluten-free. So, I freaked out momentarily, not good for my adrenals I'm sure, then I looked it up and discovered it was okay. I'm not having a gluten reaction, so must have been okay. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine!!

utdan Apprentice

CarlaB, I just came across this thread and had to say thank you for starting it!

I've researched adrenal fatigue a while back in February or so but forgot how important it was. I have 8 of the 13 posted symptoms for diagnosis! My day has enormous amounts of stress over and on top of "normal" stressors like deadlines, work, money, etc. I will definitely have to get some of that licorice tea.

rinne Apprentice

Thanks for the information on the licorice tea. I've been drinking it for my stomach pain, it is very good if you feel like your stomach is on fire. I buy the twigs at the health food store and simmer them for 10 minutes.

I look forward to updates as to how you are doing.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Thanks for the information on the licorice tea. I've been drinking it for my stomach pain, it is very good if you feel like your stomach is on fire. I buy the twigs at the health food store and simmer them for 10 minutes.

I look forward to updates as to how you are doing.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

So, you just buy licorice twigs? I've been using tea bags, but I bet the twigs are even better for you.

eleep Enthusiast

Hey Carla,

Is not getting enough sunshine and outside-time something that can contribute to adrenal fatigue? This just occured to me because, in April, I was actually under orders by a doctor to spend as much time in nature as I could for a while when they were concerned that I was going to collapse from fatigue.

I wonder if too much celiac.com might be a contributing factor for this sort of thing :unsure:

Time to take the laptop outside? B)

CarlaB Enthusiast

LOL! :lol:

I haven't read anything specific for sunshine and fresh air for adrenal fatigue. However, I have read in general that it's good and necessary for our health. What I'm finding out is our lifestyle is really pretty wrong for being healthy! We're just not designed for the kind of stress and "Type A" lifestyle that we live with today.

Anyone know if lifting weights burns cortisol? Once you reach the point of fatigue, they say that you do not want to be burning cortisol because you're deficient. So, I know that means cut out the cardio and start walking, but what about weights?

I found an interesting article on adrenal fatigue that would probably help most people, even men, thought the website name says differently ... Open Original Shared Link

eleep Enthusiast

I don't have hard facts at my fingertips, but my instinct would be to say that lifting weights -- if done gently and in moderation -- should be okay. You should actually produce more testosterone which can help with cortisol levels (I think, but again, I don't have access to my research on this stuff right here). I'm going to get back on what my ex called my "Ashtanga yoga is good for everything" bandwagon, however and suggest that you consider something more sustained like that which combines some weight-bearing stuff with some cardio-based motion.

Maybe off-topic, maybe not -- my brother's been yakking about Kombucha for months now and I finally tried it the other day -- it seems to have very energizing effects.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Everything I'm reading is saying that exercise should be something that promotes relaxation if you have adrenal fatigue. I'm wondering what's out there that is weight bearing, but relaxes. Does the Komubucha do that? I'm also wondering about Tai Chi ... or anything else. I used to do cardio and weights and really liked it. I was thinking about what you mentioned, light weights. I also read that if you do weights for over 45 minutes, then it can raise cortisol (which is really bad if you have adrenal fatigue, you want to really avoid anything that raises it).

eleep Enthusiast

Whoops -- Kombucha is a fermented Chinese health tea drink thing. I really think that stuff along the lines of t'ai chi, yoga, possibly pilates and more meditative stuff is where you want to go. Meditation, in particular, helped me actually learn how it feels when my blood pressure does rise and my stress levels go up -- and how to gently coax them back down -- in a very nuanced way -- after learning what a calm, meditative state feels like, I've actually been better able to pace myself when I go jogging so that it's more of a mindfulness exercise than anything else -- I used to really wipe myself out too much when I was running. Hiking is also a useful way for me to practice mindfulness -- which is essentially being in the "flow" of a meditative state.

jerseyangel Proficient

I think Pilates is wonderfully relaxing. Didn't you say that you do it?

I love the "stretched out" feeling I get afterwards.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I think Pilates is wonderfully relaxing. Didn't you say that you do it?

I love the "stretched out" feeling I get afterwards.

I do a few pilates moves, but it was a small part of my workout overall.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I look into what's around where I live.

Archived