Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Enterolab

5 posts in this topic

So what do you think? Is it worth getting the tests done for other intolerances at Enterolab? I have been gluten free for almost 1 month but I still feel awful. Maybe I have other allergies? I love cheese and eat a ton of soy. I'd die if I couldn't eat those anymore. But I also thought I would die if I couldn't eat carbs anymore too (good carbs, not gluten free ones!!). I guess I would rather rule all of allergies out as soon as possible so I can start feeling better (finally).

For those who have done the tests at Enterolab, is it worth it?

Ads by Google:

You already know you are intolerant to gluten, so that test would be pointless. However, you could test to see if you have intolerances to soy and dairy.

Since you had a postive biopsy, chances are very high that you will be lactose intolerant for a while. The enzyme that breaks down lactose is on the part of the villi that would be damaged. If it's "just" lactose intolerance, this will probably go away as you heal. If it's casein intolerance, it's permanent.

If I were in your shoes, I'd give up dairy for at least six months, then give it a try again. If it causes you a problem then, try it with lactaid. If it still gives you trouble, then it may be the casein, not the lactose that's bothering you.

It takes time to heal.

Welcome!

You already know you are intolerant to gluten, so that test would be pointless. However, you could test to see if you have intolerances to soy and dairy.

Since you had a postive biopsy, chances are very high that you will be lactose intolerant for a while. The enzyme that breaks down lactose is on the part of the villi that would be damaged. If it's "just" lactose intolerance, this will probably go away as you heal. If it's casein intolerance, it's permanent.

If I were in your shoes, I'd give up dairy for at least six months, then give it a try again. If it causes you a problem then, try it with lactaid. If it still gives you trouble, then it may be the casein, not the lactose that's bothering you.

It takes time to heal.

Welcome!

I had a feeling I would have to give up dairy for awhile, and soy cheese is just nasty. It's just so discouraging to still feel sick when you think you are finally being healthy and on your way to feeling good. I guess I will try to go dairy free for as long as I can bare it and see how that goes. Thanks alot, it's helpful to see that there are so many people out there who know how you feel! :)

Yea, it's helpful!

I didn't try to replace dairy, except that I use Vance's Dari-free for milk/cream. Other than that, I just skip it. Replacements are usually a disappointment and I certainly don't want to be eating yet another item that stresses my system!!

If you don't mind the wait the elimination of the food for a time, then reintroduction would give you an idea. I had my whole family tested by enterolab for all the inolerances they test for. My two intolerances also happen to coincide with me being allergic to them (gluten and soy). I am mildly allergic to dairy but not intolerant. I had both allergy tests and enterolab tests done. Would still like to get allergy testing for my children but ran out of money a long time ago. :)