4 replies to this topic

#1 myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

So what do you think? Is it worth getting the tests done for other intolerances at Enterolab? I have been gluten free for almost 1 month but I still feel awful. Maybe I have other allergies? I love cheese and eat a ton of soy. I'd die if I couldn't eat those anymore. But I also thought I would die if I couldn't eat carbs anymore too (good carbs, not gluten free ones!!). I guess I would rather rule all of allergies out as soon as possible so I can start feeling better (finally).

For those who have done the tests at Enterolab, is it worth it?
marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006
soy free since september 9, 2006
positive blood test august 2, 2006
positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade
diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school
"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

You already know you are intolerant to gluten, so that test would be pointless. However, you could test to see if you have intolerances to soy and dairy.

Since you had a postive biopsy, chances are very high that you will be lactose intolerant for a while. The enzyme that breaks down lactose is on the part of the villi that would be damaged. If it's "just" lactose intolerance, this will probably go away as you heal. If it's casein intolerance, it's permanent.

If I were in your shoes, I'd give up dairy for at least six months, then give it a try again. If it causes you a problem then, try it with lactaid. If it still gives you trouble, then it may be the casein, not the lactose that's bothering you.

It takes time to heal.

Welcome!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

You already know you are intolerant to gluten, so that test would be pointless. However, you could test to see if you have intolerances to soy and dairy.

Since you had a postive biopsy, chances are very high that you will be lactose intolerant for a while. The enzyme that breaks down lactose is on the part of the villi that would be damaged. If it's "just" lactose intolerance, this will probably go away as you heal. If it's casein intolerance, it's permanent.

If I were in your shoes, I'd give up dairy for at least six months, then give it a try again. If it causes you a problem then, try it with lactaid. If it still gives you trouble, then it may be the casein, not the lactose that's bothering you.

It takes time to heal.

Welcome!

I had a feeling I would have to give up dairy for awhile, and soy cheese is just nasty. It's just so discouraging to still feel sick when you think you are finally being healthy and on your way to feeling good. I guess I will try to go dairy free for as long as I can bare it and see how that goes. Thanks alot, it's helpful to see that there are so many people out there who know how you feel! :)
marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006
soy free since september 9, 2006
positive blood test august 2, 2006
positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade
diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school
"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

Yea, it's helpful!

I didn't try to replace dairy, except that I use Vance's Dari-free for milk/cream. Other than that, I just skip it. Replacements are usually a disappointment and I certainly don't want to be eating yet another item that stresses my system!!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

If you don't mind the wait the elimination of the food for a time, then reintroduction would give you an idea. I had my whole family tested by enterolab for all the inolerances they test for. My two intolerances also happen to coincide with me being allergic to them (gluten and soy). I am mildly allergic to dairy but not intolerant. I had both allergy tests and enterolab tests done. Would still like to get allergy testing for my children but ran out of money a long time ago. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: