8 replies to this topic

#1 cgilsing

cgilsing

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:24 AM

I went to the doctor a few months ago with a rash that they determined was poisen sumac. The doctor prescribed me prednisone and explained that the meds would weaken my immune response thus providing releif. I got to thinking about it and started wondering....could this help celiac disease???? Does anyone know if taking prednisone after being glutened helps? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:24 AM

I went to the doctor a few months ago with a rash that they determined was poisen sumac. The doctor prescribed me prednisone and explained that the meds would weaken my immune response thus providing releif. I got to thinking about it and started wondering....could this help celiac disease???? Does anyone know if taking prednisone after being glutened helps? :unsure:

It would most likely help but most doctors will not prescribe it for this purpose. Prednisone is a safe drug when used for the typical short term course but it does have some side effects that make it less than desirable for long term usage. When we are glutened, after we have had a chance to recover from daily poisoning, the discomfort can be severe but it is limited in duration if we are not reglutening ourselves. Most doctors would not prescribe prednisone for the short term effects of gluten toxicity. The best person to ask if an occasional course of prednisone would be appropriate would be your doctor. He knows your personal health history and would be the best one to ask if a short course after glutening would be doable for your personal circumstances.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:28 AM

Prednisone when taken long term can cause significant weight gain, face swelling, rash, and some breathing problems, although it is used as an asthma drug. Both my mother and brother(after returning from Iraq) took it for an extended period of time and both had the above side effects. Please be careful using it.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#4 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:59 AM

I can't remember the site right now, but I read that the use of prednisone can cause leaky gut syndrome.
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#5 chgomom

chgomom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:14 AM

I know when I took prednisone....for a really bad sore throat couple 2 mos ago...I had felt so much better and had minimal problems related to my celiac.....my joint pain and mmy exhaustion were gone and the other stuff with this nasty little thing were almost non existent...
Quod me nutrit, me destruit

#6 L.A.

L.A.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:51 AM

My brother has Crohn's and when he was first diagnosed, he was put on prednisone. Would make sense it would help with Celiac symptons as it helped my brother--it made him really grumpy though :angry:
Best RX? Ice Cream!

Positive Blood Test 2000
Negative Biopsy 2000

#7 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:18 AM

I was on a large dose of prednisone for 9-1/2 months. It did cover up some of my food allergy symptoms/glutening symptoms and cleared my psoriasis, but at a high cost. I would only take it again if was a matter of life or death, literally. It's not a drug you want to take. It can cause leaky gut, as well as weight gain (almost impossible to get that weight off again!), anxiety, candida overgrowth and a host of other nasty things.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

I agree with you, Liz. I took Decadron (injected long lasting steroid) many times when I was so sick and the doctors (a GP and an ENT) didn't know what else to do with me.

They did offer relief, for sure, but I found out too late that they cause all sorts of long-term side effects. At the time, the doctors down-played the potential risks, saying only that I'd "feel a lot better". I was desprate to feel better, I had 2 young kids. Back then, I wouldn't have questioned the doctors--I went to them for help, and I was getting it--only now I know it was only a quick fix for the symptoms.

I wonder now if they are to blame for my obviously leaky gut, and my inability to tolerate proteins (except meats). Probably so, between that and the Celiac--which was the real problem the whole time :angry:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

. . .The doctor prescribed me prednisone and explained that the meds would weaken my immune response thus providing relief. . .

I agree with the other posters.
The careful use of steroids can help in the short term but long term treatment is reserved for serious illness because of the many, many side effects - weight gain, brittle bones (osteoporosis), reduced growth in children, cataracts and elevated blood sugar, just to name a few.

It is used in refractory celiac, celiac that does not respond to a gluten free diet and the immune system does not stop attacking the small intestine. The rock star Kid Rock's protege Joe C. had refractory celiac and his small stature was probably more due to long term steriod use than the malnutrition from celiac.

I have a question for you! :o Did your doctor ask you about, or mention, mood disorders or bipolar disorder?

I ask this strange question because I've found that doctors still aren't screening their steroid taking patients for mood disorders. :angry: In people with bipolar/mood disorder or even just a family history, steroids can cause serious mental illness, including suicidal thoughts. I took prednisone in high school for a bad poison sumac rash on my face (already not fun for a high schooler) and then I had the extra fun of being :wacko: by second period. The doc told my folks to just stop giving it to me, no mention of why or what had happened to me that day. (I had only taken one dose)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: