Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Please Advise

5 posts in this topic

Almost 10 weeks into being gluten free, I am still having some other issues that I am trying to figure out. I had neuropathies in my hands and feet prior to going gluten free, which have since resolved. However, I am still having stomach problems and now sometimes get tingling around my lips/face. I have looked into vitamin deficiences, but I think I have finally identified the foods that are causing this.

Please let me know if you think these make sense.

Tingling - I believe it is something in chocolate. I very rarely ate chocolate before going gluten free, but I have been eating quite a bit of hershey/snickers bars lately. I noticed it this afternoon after eating a hershey bar, and it seems to correlate with the times I have eaten chocolate. I haven't noticed a problem with other dairy (cheese, milk) or soy (mostly pf changs) products.

Stomach Issues - I have noticed a problem with Starbucks coffee. I would say it messes up my digestive system for about 24 hours. There is no D involved, but I have a stomach ache and have to go the bathroom quite a bit. I have also noticed a problem with alcohol. After a night of drinking 3 drinks or more, I will often wake up with a stomach ache and have to go the bathroom 3-4 times. Again, no D and my stomach doesn't seem to be affected much past the initial ache.

Has anybody had similar experiences? Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I've always had a problem with strong coffee and d. So, that makes sense. Weak coffee doesn't have the same effect, but who wants it?? <_<

Some people are allergic to chocolate.

What about the caffeine in both chocolate and coffee?

How about trying a different chocolate bar like a plain chocolate bar and see if you still feel the same.

tingling around my lips/face. I have looked into vitamin deficiences,

Two thoughts-- have you looked into oral allergy?

www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/VitaminB3Niacincs.html

Also you can actually get facial tingling from TOO MUCH Niacin-- if it gets out of balance with other B vitamins.

www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/VitaminB3Niacincs.html

As someone who is chronically constipated, I drink coffee when I desperately need to make myself go. The caffeine causes colon contractions. So if you're not constipated but don't exactly have a normal stomach either, the strong coffee might be too much for your tummy to handle.