4 replies to this topic

#1 mike2184

mike2184

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

Almost 10 weeks into being gluten free, I am still having some other issues that I am trying to figure out. I had neuropathies in my hands and feet prior to going gluten free, which have since resolved. However, I am still having stomach problems and now sometimes get tingling around my lips/face. I have looked into vitamin deficiences, but I think I have finally identified the foods that are causing this.

Please let me know if you think these make sense.

Tingling - I believe it is something in chocolate. I very rarely ate chocolate before going gluten free, but I have been eating quite a bit of hershey/snickers bars lately. I noticed it this afternoon after eating a hershey bar, and it seems to correlate with the times I have eaten chocolate. I haven't noticed a problem with other dairy (cheese, milk) or soy (mostly pf changs) products.

Stomach Issues - I have noticed a problem with Starbucks coffee. I would say it messes up my digestive system for about 24 hours. There is no D involved, but I have a stomach ache and have to go the bathroom quite a bit. I have also noticed a problem with alcohol. After a night of drinking 3 drinks or more, I will often wake up with a stomach ache and have to go the bathroom 3-4 times. Again, no D and my stomach doesn't seem to be affected much past the initial ache.

Has anybody had similar experiences? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

I've always had a problem with strong coffee and d. So, that makes sense. Weak coffee doesn't have the same effect, but who wants it?? <_<

Some people are allergic to chocolate.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

What about the caffeine in both chocolate and coffee?

How about trying a different chocolate bar like a plain chocolate bar and see if you still feel the same.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

tingling around my lips/face. I have looked into vitamin deficiences,

Two thoughts-- have you looked into oral allergy?

www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/VitaminB3Niacincs.html

Also you can actually get facial tingling from TOO MUCH Niacin-- if it gets out of balance with other B vitamins.

www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/VitaminB3Niacincs.html
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#5 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:28 AM

As someone who is chronically constipated, I drink coffee when I desperately need to make myself go. The caffeine causes colon contractions. So if you're not constipated but don't exactly have a normal stomach either, the strong coffee might be too much for your tummy to handle.
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: