Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Safe Artificial Colors Or Flavors

12 posts in this topic

Are there any safe artificial (or natural, for that matter) colors or flavors?

Ads by Google:

I am wondering the same thing. I'd like to make gluten-free cookies with pineapple flavoring, but can't find gluten-free flavorings. Does any one know if Tone's is gluten-free? Or McCormick's artificial flavorings? Is there a website which sells gluten-free artifical flavorings or colorings?

All McCormick extracts are gluten-free. Durkee's food coloring, liquid flavoring and extracts are gluten-free. All Tone's extracts are gluten-free. All Wilton's extracts, paste and liquid colors and flavorings are gluten-free. You can find this and more at:

http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist011604.pdf

It's a 42 page list of gluten-free mainstream foods--everything from cake decorations to pickles!

Happy baking, and let us know how it turns out!

I actually don't know of any artificial colors that aren't gluten-free. Natural and artificial flavors are almost all gluten-free, but I don't eat foods with them without checking.

richard

Please be careful when you make these statements! Actually, according to " gluten-free for a Healthy Life" by Kimberley Tessmer,"Both artificial and natural flavorings can be made from a variety of grains, including wheat, rye and barley. Most US manufacturers do not use gluten-containing flavorings, but there are a few exceptions. Barley malt is sometimes used as a flavoring and some companies may not always declare it as a flavor containg barley*."

*Source: Code of Federal Regulations, Food and Drug Administration

Remember, just because you don't get sick doesn't mean you aren't hurting your gut.

I amended my post. I meant to say artificial colors instead of flavors.

...I am still unsure about the answer. I didn't see anything on the referenced website about artifical flavorings, colorings yes, flavorings no....

Does anyone have first hand experience with certain brands of artifical flavorings, whether it's Wilton, Watkins, McCormack or Tone's (old Dukee's Foods).

Thanks,

Debmidge

Extracts are flavorings.

THANK YOU so much for putting up that list. My husband was diagnosed with celiac last week and we have been so confused. Our first trip to the store was a nightmare! This list will help.

I'm so excited!!

Stacy

Stacy, and anyone else who wants a list, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing for $20 the Mainstream Products List from CSACeliacs. It is a great list, and combined with the list posted here is quite comprehensive. I have both, and there are items on one not on the other and vice versa. I've combined them and now have quite a selection of things to choose from. The CSA list is particularly helpful to those of you in the mid-west with Hy-Vee supermarkets as most of their "generic" products are in there. I'm in Vermont, so it's not so helpful in that aspect but there are so many national brands that it was WELL worth the $20. It comes in a binder, too, so you can add your own information quite easily.

Bridget

Is there any up-to-date information about artifical colors? the last post I see here is from 2004.