11 replies to this topic

#1 soul04

soul04

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:04 AM

Are there any safe artificial (or natural, for that matter) colors or flavors?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:04 PM

I am wondering the same thing. I'd like to make gluten-free cookies with pineapple flavoring, but can't find gluten-free flavorings. Does any one know if Tone's is gluten-free? Or McCormick's artificial flavorings? Is there a website which sells gluten-free artifical flavorings or colorings?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#3 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

All McCormick extracts are gluten-free. Durkee's food coloring, liquid flavoring and extracts are gluten-free. All Tone's extracts are gluten-free. All Wilton's extracts, paste and liquid colors and flavorings are gluten-free. You can find this and more at:

http://homepage.mac....dlist011604.pdf

It's a 42 page list of gluten-free mainstream foods--everything from cake decorations to pickles!

Happy baking, and let us know how it turns out!
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:30 AM

I actually don't know of any artificial colors that aren't gluten-free. Natural and artificial flavors are almost all gluten-free, but I don't eat foods with them without checking.

richard

#5 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:15 AM

Please be careful when you make these statements! Actually, according to " gluten-free for a Healthy Life" by Kimberley Tessmer,"Both artificial and natural flavorings can be made from a variety of grains, including wheat, rye and barley. Most US manufacturers do not use gluten-containing flavorings, but there are a few exceptions. Barley malt is sometimes used as a flavoring and some companies may not always declare it as a flavor containg barley*."
*Source: Code of Federal Regulations, Food and Drug Administration

Remember, just because you don't get sick doesn't mean you aren't hurting your gut.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:14 AM

I amended my post. I meant to say artificial colors instead of flavors.

#7 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:51 AM

...I am still unsure about the answer. I didn't see anything on the referenced website about artifical flavorings, colorings yes, flavorings no....
Does anyone have first hand experience with certain brands of artifical flavorings, whether it's Wilton, Watkins, McCormack or Tone's (old Dukee's Foods).

Thanks,

Debmidge
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#8 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:07 AM

Extracts are flavorings.

#9 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:12 AM

By the way, the list is now on:
http://homepage.mac..../GFfoodlist.pdf

#10 mcalister14

mcalister14

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

THANK YOU so much for putting up that list. My husband was diagnosed with celiac last week and we have been so confused. Our first trip to the store was a nightmare! This list will help.
I'm so excited!!

Stacy
IgG- 120(severe+)
IgA- 18(normal)
Positive biopsy

Diagnosed July 2004

#11 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 04:43 AM

Stacy, and anyone else who wants a list, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing for $20 the Mainstream Products List from CSACeliacs. It is a great list, and combined with the list posted here is quite comprehensive. I have both, and there are items on one not on the other and vice versa. I've combined them and now have quite a selection of things to choose from. The CSA list is particularly helpful to those of you in the mid-west with Hy-Vee supermarkets as most of their "generic" products are in there. I'm in Vermont, so it's not so helpful in that aspect but there are so many national brands that it was WELL worth the $20. It comes in a binder, too, so you can add your own information quite easily.

Bridget

#12 Jill Skipper

Jill Skipper

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

Is there any up-to-date information about artifical colors? the last post I see here is from 2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: