Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Beets, Pink Urine And Celiac Connection?

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#1 Jennas-auntie

Jennas-auntie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

Ok, this was totally unexpected. There's this person I've told maybe they should get tested for celiac, they have some symptoms. Today they told me about 24 hours ago they had beets and their urine has been pink ever since. So I think, hey, that's odd, I wonder what that is about, just look it up to see why your urine would be pink if you eat beets. Come to find out there is a condition called "beeturia" where about 10-14% of the population have this effect from eating beets. Most people eat beets and their urine doesn't change color. Interestingly the articles I've read say they aren't sure why these people aren't able to process it, but it may be linked to malabsorption in the small intestine as one of their causes (of course not actually mentioning celiac specifically)...anybody have this when they were an untreated celiac? The things you learn every day...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

Yes, I did, and I thought it was just normal. You know, licorice would turn my stool black, beets would turn my urine pink.........seemed like a logical, normal thing........except, maybe I'm wondering now whether it was. But I'm not the only one in my family who's urine will turn pink from beets. I wonder why now.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Me too, I thought it was normal for people to have pink pee (doesn't that sound cute) but come to think of it I don't remember my pee being pink prior to the last ten years and that is when my digestive issues really started hitting me. And actually I remember the first time I saw it and freaked out for a moment until I remembered the beets but at the time I don't think I thought to try and remember when it hadn't been pink. I wasn't a huge beet eater and could have missed it for years but I am pretty clear that as a child I loved pickled beets and never saw pink pee. Sorry that could probably have been said in two lines rather than that convoluted statement but I am too tired.

Oprah has pink pee from eating beets, she talked about seeing the pink pee in the toilet and calling her doctor in a panic and then remembering that she had eaten beets. Perhaps she would be willing to do a show on "beeturia". :ph34r: :lol: :lol:
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#4 momandgirls

momandgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

It is completely normal to have pink pee after eating fresh beets (it only happens with fresh beets - not canned ones) - it happens to me and everyone and everyone else in my family (diagnosed with Celiac or other digestive problems or not).

#5 eleep

eleep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:33 AM

That's exactly what I was about to say -- everyone I know reacts that way to fresh beets -- I've been in a room full of people sharing beet-toilet-scare stories and I'm fairly confident that they weren't all celiacs. I also don't have that reaction to canned ones from the salad bar -- perhaps because a lot of the juice has been drained out of them? Dunno.

eleep
Erica

Inconclusive blood test results
Positive Enterolab results
Positive dietary results
gluten-free since 2/10/06

#6 up-late

up-late

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:38 AM

I don't think I've had that, but then I've only eaten fresh beets diluted in soup and I do get kidney stones so maybe in the past I've put it down to that.

I have had the licorice thing though, and spagetti, I didn't digest that at all for a while there, until I realised what it was I thought I had worms. :blink:

#7 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

I thought that was perfectly normal, too!
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#8 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:06 AM

Yet another excuse...erm, reason for me not to eat beets! Having amazing technicolor stool is enough for me, thanks :rolleyes:
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#9 mle_ii

mle_ii

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

Hmmm... I've got an interesting idea. :)

Since I'm getting a barium upper gi xray tomorrow and it's known to turn your stool white, and beets are known to turn them red, and perhaps blueberries might turn them blue. I might be able to come up with some patriotic Red, White and Blue Poo. :lol: :D

Wonder what Oprah would think of that?

Mike

#10 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

If all celiacs had this, would that make it a reliable test?
Nothing

#11 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hmmm... I've got an interesting idea. :)

Since I'm getting a barium upper gi xray tomorrow and it's known to turn your stool white, and beets are known to turn them red, and perhaps blueberries might turn them blue. I might be able to come up with some patriotic Red, White and Blue Poo. :lol: :D

Wonder what Oprah would think of that?

Mike

Mike, you crack me up.

Okay, what some of you said puts my mind at ease, I agree that having pink pee with fresh beets is probably perfectly normal.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:49 AM

I wondered about this too - I noticed a few years ago when I first had fresh beets that it turned my urine pink for a while. Now that I have been gluten-free two years I don't see much in my urine anymore, but I noticed some in my stool - maybe my intestine is less permeable to the color now that it's had time to heal.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#13 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

Its not a test of anything other than beets and other foods can change the color of urine - and its not abnormal.
Just like eating fresh asparagus, makes your pee smell funny, certain drugs can color the urine blue or green (yup, blue), and foods can color the urine.

A usless bit of info : On standing, horse urine will change to a blackish brown - nothing wrong with the horse - thats what horse pee does.

Its normal phenomenon of our bodies and the food we eat.

Add on after posting first time:

Some dyes used in candy may be excreted in the urine, and a wide variety of drugs can discolor the urine.
Pink, red, or smoky brown urine can be a side effect of a medication or may be caused by the recent consumption of beets, blackberries or certain food colorings.
Dark yellow or orange urine can be caused by recent use of laxatives or consumption of B complex vitamins or carotene. Orange urine is often caused by pyridium (used in the treatment of urinary tract infections), rifampin, and warfarin.
Green or blue urine is due to the effect of artificial color in food or drug. It may also result from medications including amitriptyline, indomethacin, and doxorubicin.
http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/003139.htm

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986
hypothyroid -1993
pernicious anemia
premature atrial beats
neuropathy
retinopathy
daughter is: age 15
central hypotonia and developmental delay
balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)
hypothyroid 1996
dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002
celiac 2004 - by endoscopy
diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet
recovered from Kawasaki (2003)
lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06
Gilberts syndrome (April/07)
allergy to stinging insects
scoliosis Jan 2008
nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008
allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13
type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday
celiac - 2004 by endoscopy
lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

#14 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

Its not a test of anything other than beets and other foods can change the color of urine - and its not abnormal.
Just like eating fresh asparagus, makes your pee smell funny, certain drugs can color the urine blue or green (yup, blue), and foods can color the urine.

A usless bit of info : On standing, horse urine will change to a blackish brown - nothing wrong with the horse - thats what horse pee does.

Its normal phenomenon of our bodies and the food we eat.

That's great, I am glad to be normal in at least one respect. :lol:
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#15 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Oddly enough, this one I've not had to my recollection at all. I've always loved beets too. Don't know about how long they'd have to cook to alter the effect, but as a child most of the beets I had were fresh from the garden. In fact, my mother would remind me not to be frightened by it, so I guess it happens to her. I have tried to get it into her head she needs to try the gluten-free diet with all her health issues, but she's a stubborn one...
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: