This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Breakfast Dilemma

rutland

rutland Enthusiast

I thought I had a great idea for breakfast. I would have a gluten-free pork sausage patty with either a raw or cooked apple. This morning after eating it, I got sick and nauseous. I wanted to throw it up but I couldnt. Another strange symptom was I hot and tingling sensation all over my head? Odd.

Is a pork allergy common?

Does anyone have any breakfast ideas?

Steph

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I would guess it was a sausage ingredient rather than the pork itself. Arey you sure it was gluten-free?

L.A. Contributor

I love gluten free corn flakes with strawberries and bananas for breakie--okay as long as you don't have a dairy problem. :)

rutland Enthusiast

It was definately gluten-free. It said so on the box. Can you always trust that?

I think that my body is reacting to everything right now. So it may not even be the sausage. I get strange symptoms after I eat anything. Like today I had a bowl of chicken soup with veg. and the same thing happened without the nausea. This weird tingly, hot sensation on my head. Bizzare. <_<

jerseyangel Proficient
It was definately gluten-free. It said so on the box. Can you always trust that?

I think that my body is reacting to everything right now. So it may not even be the sausage. I get strange symptoms after I eat anything. Like today I had a bowl of chicken soup with veg. and the same thing happened without the nausea. This weird tingly, hot sensation on my head. Bizzare. <_<

Could you compare the two labels (sausage and soup) and see if there were any suspicious ingredients in common? MSG, maybe? Just a thought....

L.A. Contributor

This hot sensation, are you also sweating? L.A.

rutland Enthusiast
This hot sensation, are you also sweating? L.A.

No Im not sweating. Its a strange warm, tingling, ichy, sensation on my head and neck area. Its an immediate reaction to what I just ate. I eat meat about every meal because I feel I need a lot of protein. I got it again this morning after I ate breakfast. Which was some turkey bacon with an apple.

Ive been reading a lot about leaky gut syndrome and I think this could be a possibility. I read about how the amino acid Glutamine helps heal the gut. Im going to try it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

This probably won't be of any help, but... I got that same hot tingly feeling on my head when my serotonin levels were off. I went off of an antidepressant cold turkey and it really sent me for a loop. Anyway, perhaps you recently got a little bit of gluten that caused a chemical imbalance? Or perhaps your body is recovering from chemical imbalances due to malnutrition from celiac? Just a thought...

Green Fingered Gaelic Newbie

So cause we are celiacs its so easy to spend all our time going oh I can't eat wheat, oats, barley and rye. I can't eat anything.

Its funny. Our allergy makes us feel like we cant eat anything. Sometimes it blinds us. There are so many things we can have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Its a matter of knowing whats safe to eat and then its a matter of being creative.

I'm as a lazy person as I can be. I'm very busy, I don't get much time off, so I try to find easier ways to do things.

For example, I wake up, feel hungry. Stumble down stairs (One eye shut, and the other half shut), on the way to the fridge I pick up a mixing jug, by the time I'm at the fridge the gluten-free flour is in the jug with a drop of oil. I pick up the milk, spill some in, enough but not too much. Then I take an egg or two and crack em in. This requires at least one eye fully open. I hate few things more than eggshell in my pancakes.

Then on my merry way to the kettle I grab my hand held blender gizmo and thats pancake mix. Some people like to let it sit for a while. Generally I haven't thought that far ahead.

So I put the kettle on for tea and heat a thick based pan, no oil.

By the time the kettle has boiled for my tea the first pancake is on.

By the time the tea is brewed I've torn some herbs and grated some cheese on the pancake in the pan,

some times I might add some ham, or left over meat from before, maybe some chopped up onions.

By the time the tea is poured I'm scoffing my first pancake, cooking my next and wondering what to have as my desert pancake. Mapel syrup, or lime and honey, or sugar and lemon, or choclate. Hmmm. Tis tough.

Okay, so like I said, I'm lazy as I can be. However I hate repition. So the day after I have pancakes the last thing I want is pancakes.

Depending on whats in season my diet changes but here are a few other breakfast ideas:

Fruit smoothies, yogurt blended with the best fruit, yum, goes down easy and lines your stomache fast. Leaves you full. I use several different fruits, some times I add passionfruit, just to make me feel posh.

Full Irish breakfast, bacon, eggs, gluten-free toast, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, fried potatoes, sausages if you can trust them. So many products say they are gluten-free, and then are made on the same production lines as non gluten-free stuff. Hence they are contaminated.

If you can find, or make, gluten-free tortillas, try them with scrambled egg for brekkie. So often tortillas are contaminated. I was suprised when I discovered many of my favourite spices were cut/mixed with wheat flour.

The unfortunate thing about being celiac is the better you get at keeping your diet the more sensitive you become to gluten. So something you could eat last week you can't eat next week. example; i've recently ceased consuming so called gluten-free breakfast cereal because it wasn't.

As for pork allergy, thats news to me. I love pork,

bacon for ma breakfast,

bacon for ma tea,

bacon for baby,

bacon for me.

Oh yea, btw sometimes it can just take months to get over one reaction, so perhaps your reactions are from something you got a while ago

oceangirl Collaborator
So cause we are celiacs its so easy to spend all our time going oh I can't eat wheat, oats, barley and rye. I can't eat anything.

Its funny. Our allergy makes us feel like we cant eat anything. Sometimes it blinds us. There are so many things we can have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Its a matter of knowing whats safe to eat and then its a matter of being creative.

I'm as a lazy person as I can be. I'm very busy, I don't get much time off, so I try to find easier ways to do things.

For example, I wake up, feel hungry. Stumble down stairs (One eye shut, and the other half shut), on the way to the fridge I pick up a mixing jug, by the time I'm at the fridge the gluten-free flour is in the jug with a drop of oil. I pick up the milk, spill some in, enough but not too much. Then I take an egg or two and crack em in. This requires at least one eye fully open. I hate few things more than eggshell in my pancakes.

Then on my merry way to the kettle I grab my hand held blender gizmo and thats pancake mix. Some people like to let it sit for a while. Generally I haven't thought that far ahead.

So I put the kettle on for tea and heat a thick based pan, no oil.

By the time the kettle has boiled for my tea the first pancake is on.

By the time the tea is brewed I've torn some herbs and grated some cheese on the pancake in the pan,

some times I might add some ham, or left over meat from before, maybe some chopped up onions.

By the time the tea is poured I'm scoffing my first pancake, cooking my next and wondering what to have as my desert pancake. Mapel syrup, or lime and honey, or sugar and lemon, or choclate. Hmmm. Tis tough.

Okay, so like I said, I'm lazy as I can be. However I hate repition. So the day after I have pancakes the last thing I want is pancakes.

Depending on whats in season my diet changes but here are a few other breakfast ideas:

Fruit smoothies, yogurt blended with the best fruit, yum, goes down easy and lines your stomache fast. Leaves you full. I use several different fruits, some times I add passionfruit, just to make me feel posh.

Full Irish breakfast, bacon, eggs, gluten-free toast, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, fried potatoes, sausages if you can trust them. So many products say they are gluten-free, and then are made on the same production lines as non gluten-free stuff. Hence they are contaminated.

If you can find, or make, gluten-free tortillas, try them with scrambled egg for brekkie. So often tortillas are contaminated. I was suprised when I discovered many of my favourite spices were cut/mixed with wheat flour.

The unfortunate thing about being celiac is the better you get at keeping your diet the more sensitive you become to gluten. So something you could eat last week you can't eat next week. example; i've recently ceased consuming so called gluten-free breakfast cereal because it wasn't.

As for pork allergy, thats news to me. I love pork,

bacon for ma breakfast,

bacon for ma tea,

bacon for baby,

bacon for me.

Oh yea, btw sometimes it can just take months to get over one reaction, so perhaps your reactions are from something you got a while ago

I have a delicious recipe for my own breakfast sausage and, instead of pork, I just use ground beef. It's called "Country Sausage" and it's in The Joy of Cooking cookbook. Very easy and yummy. No need for skins; they're just sausage patties. I hope those strange feelings go away soon! I also like how brave and creative Quin is, shaking up his menu all the time. I tend to find something that works and only eat that. Quite lame, actually, on my part. Good luck to you!

lisa

Archived