#1 myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:49 AM

Just curious...

Does anyone have trouble with eating chic peas? I love them and eating them a lot. Im gluten free for about 1 month but still feeling cr@ppy so I am trying figure out what else could be causing it.
marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006
soy free since september 9, 2006
positive blood test august 2, 2006
positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade
diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school
"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Just curious...

Does anyone have trouble with eating chic peas? I love them and eating them a lot. Im gluten free for about 1 month but still feeling cr@ppy so I am trying figure out what else could be causing it.

Chick peas (aka garbanzo beans) are legumes, and so can cause the same gas problems & allergies as any other legume. What kind of "reaction" are you having? Are you allergic/sensitive to any other legumes (peanuts, beans, soy, etc?)

Michelle

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

Well, one month isn't necessarily long enough to see appreciable results. It took me six months just to begin noticing anything at all.

As so many find as they progress on the gluten-free diet, you may also begin to see intolerances to things like dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, etc.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

You also might just not have healed yet. I used to react to all kinds of gluten free things until i was fully healed. Sucked, it just took awhile to get back to normal.

hope you are feeling better!

#5 myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

thank you. I can tolerate nuts, so far, I think. Dairy is out for now and I'm starting to get concerned with soy. Some say on here that its "poison" so who knows.
marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006
soy free since september 9, 2006
positive blood test august 2, 2006
positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade
diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school
"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

#6 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

Because chick peas are a legume they can make you gassy until your body gets used to them. I use Besan (chick pea) flour in my cooking and I found that my body took a little bit of time to become re-adjusted to the different flours etc. I was using.

It is worth persisting with different types of foods/flours/nuts/seeds. I look at my gluten intolerance as being a passport to a whole new world of foods out there that I would not have otherwise eaten.

#7 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

yes, they are very gassy... I made some hummous the other day and WOOOOIE!!!! Yikes!

#8 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

Because chick peas are a legume they can make you gassy until your body gets used to them. I use Besan (chick pea) flour in my cooking and I found that my body took a little bit of time to become re-adjusted to the different flours etc. I was using.

It is worth persisting with different types of foods/flours/nuts/seeds. I look at my gluten intolerance as being a passport to a whole new world of foods out there that I would not have otherwise eaten.

That's true...provided you're not otherwise sensitive to legumes, your body does get used to them. I am a big fan of beans, chick peas, etc...great for fibre and protein...and have no trouble with related gassiness. Hummus is a big favourite. :)

Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: