Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Chic Peas

8 posts in this topic

Just curious...

Does anyone have trouble with eating chic peas? I love them and eating them a lot. Im gluten free for about 1 month but still feeling cr@ppy so I am trying figure out what else could be causing it.

Ads by Google:
Just curious...

Does anyone have trouble with eating chic peas? I love them and eating them a lot. Im gluten free for about 1 month but still feeling cr@ppy so I am trying figure out what else could be causing it.

Chick peas (aka garbanzo beans) are legumes, and so can cause the same gas problems & allergies as any other legume. What kind of "reaction" are you having? Are you allergic/sensitive to any other legumes (peanuts, beans, soy, etc?)

Michelle

Well, one month isn't necessarily long enough to see appreciable results. It took me six months just to begin noticing anything at all.

As so many find as they progress on the gluten-free diet, you may also begin to see intolerances to things like dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, etc.

You also might just not have healed yet. I used to react to all kinds of gluten free things until i was fully healed. Sucked, it just took awhile to get back to normal.

hope you are feeling better!

thank you. I can tolerate nuts, so far, I think. Dairy is out for now and I'm starting to get concerned with soy. Some say on here that its "poison" so who knows.

Because chick peas are a legume they can make you gassy until your body gets used to them. I use Besan (chick pea) flour in my cooking and I found that my body took a little bit of time to become re-adjusted to the different flours etc. I was using.

It is worth persisting with different types of foods/flours/nuts/seeds. I look at my gluten intolerance as being a passport to a whole new world of foods out there that I would not have otherwise eaten.

yes, they are very gassy... I made some hummous the other day and WOOOOIE!!!! Yikes!

Because chick peas are a legume they can make you gassy until your body gets used to them. I use Besan (chick pea) flour in my cooking and I found that my body took a little bit of time to become re-adjusted to the different flours etc. I was using.

It is worth persisting with different types of foods/flours/nuts/seeds. I look at my gluten intolerance as being a passport to a whole new world of foods out there that I would not have otherwise eaten.

That's true...provided you're not otherwise sensitive to legumes, your body does get used to them. I am a big fan of beans, chick peas, etc...great for fibre and protein...and have no trouble with related gassiness. Hummus is a big favourite. :)

Michelle