Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Ever Get Glutened From Perfume? Smell Of Wheat?

• Please log in to reply

32 replies to this topic

#1 tailz

tailz

New Community Member

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

I get symptoms of being glutened when I go in a health food store...from the whey protein? I swear there is gluten in perfume, too, that gives me a reaction. I know my father-in-law knew someone who was so allergic to poison ivy that he'd swell up if he smelled it burning even. Do any of you react to the smell of wheat, too? Let me know:-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:32 AM

This sounds an awful lot like other intolerances to me. I will get a reaction to smells, too, because of my salicylate intolerance. Perfumes are loaded with salicylates, and make me quite ill. The symptoms are similar to some of the ones I get when glutened (headache, achiness, lightheadedness, fatigue).
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:12 PM

I get very strong reactions to perfumes--but I don't think it has to do with gluten.

The last time I wore perfume was many years ago--I wore it to work, and about an hour into the day, I felt extremely faint, managed to make it to my boss's office, and passed out. It probably got to me once I was inside for a while.

To this day, walking into a dept store, or being next to someone who is wearing perfume, makes me dizzy and queasy.

On the other hand, I can walk through the bakery isle of the grocery store, smell the breads and baked goods, and be fine.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

I get symptoms of being glutened when I go in a health food store...from the whey protein? I swear there is gluten in perfume, too, that gives me a reaction. I know my father-in-law knew someone who was so allergic to poison ivy that he'd swell up if he smelled it burning even. Do any of you react to the smell of wheat, too? Let me know:-)

Whey protein is casein (dairy), not gluten. Lots of people react to strong smells (my aunt vomits at the smell of vanilla perfume), so it just makes sense to avoid areas with strong smells if you can. Many workplaces and doctor's offices now have "fragrance free" policies.

Gluten has to be ingested to cause a reaction if you are a Celiac. If you have a gluten allergy, you may react to topical gluten.

#5 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

Gluten has to be ingested to cause a reaction if you are a Celiac. If you have a gluten allergy, you may react to topical gluten.

If you breath in particulate gluten then you are swallowing it. This is the whole purpose of the cilia and trachea to trap particulate matter in the mucous and transfer it to the trachea to be swallowed.

However perfumes are full of allergens. Before I went gluten-free I couldn't even stand outside a department store without streaming eyes and headaches, now I can run through one quickly... also my IgE allergy to Lavendar has decreased significantly.... which is I think linked.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

Gluten is also absorbed by the mucous membranes. In some areas a rectal challenge is done with a suppository, the area is then biopsied a couple of hours later for confirmation of celiac. I am on a new computer and have lost the link to the studies and countries that use this method, if I can find it again I will post the link.

It is quite possible to have gluten containing ingredients or oils used in the preperation of perfumes and other toiletries. It is also quite possible to react to things other than the gluten. Before and for a time after diagnosis I would have a great deal of problems with allergic reactions to perfumes and lots of other stuff. On skin testing the only thing that I did not react to was beech trees, the only thing. It was one of the reasons the allergist said an 'I thought so' when I had a reaction to wheat in the elimination diet. He said my system was in hyperdrive. I still have a few allergies but have only had to use my inhalor once in the last year. I was using it multiple times a day.

I found two articles on the rectal challenge but a search produced much more. It appears they are also investigating using the mucosal membrane in the mouth for the same thing. This would eliminate a suspected celiac from needing to consume gluten and aid in quicker diagnosis

http://www.enabling....ac/medcare.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm....p;dopt=Abstract
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

I found the best way to test for salicylate intolerance is by an elimination diet. For a couple of weeks stop eating and drinking food and drink high in salicylates, and then do what I did (minus the Aspirin, I realize now that was very dangerous and could have put me into anaphylactic shock). After two weeks of no salicylates (during which time all my fibromyalgia muscle and skin pain went away, the joint pains are caused by lectins), one afternoon I took six chewable children's Aspirin (not recommended, drink some peppermint tea, or fruit tea or even normal tea instead, or use a lot of herbs and spices in some food), and ate some grapes, an orance, a mint candy, some almonds, drank some juice and ate one teaspoon of honey. By the evening I was only somewhat achy, and I thought that I had been on the wrong track. Mind you, when I chewed the Aspirin, my tongue started burning and going numb (I should have spit it out right then), and when I swallowed it, my throat ached on contact (I used to get sore throats frequently, and haven't had that problem since cutting out salicylates).

Anyway, when I woke up the next morning, I felt like I was on fire! The pain all over (including my skin) was so intense, that for two days I had to go back on codeine (I used to be on that 24 hours a day, for four years), and was still in agony. Obviously, I had my answer. Now, if I don't watch the salicylates (or eat something like an orange, because I love them), those pains come back. I rarely give in to those cravings, because it simply isn't worth it.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:54 AM

Dried fruits are very high in salicylates. If I'd eat them with orange juice, I'd be in agony within hours. You sure sound like salicylates are a huge problem for you! I agree, try eliminating them, and then test yourself. But really, it sounds like you already know the answer.

#9 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:13 AM

If you breath in particulate gluten then you are swallowing it. This is the whole purpose of the cilia and trachea to trap particulate matter in the mucous and transfer it to the trachea to be swallowed.

What? No. You would COUGH it up. I don't swallow my phlegm. Yuck!

#10 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:59 AM

Doll, this is an involuntrary action. You produce about 100cc of mucous a day.. do you spit it all out?

The reason I ask is because you seem so sure you can't ingest gluten by breathing it.
Its a long time since I was at school so perhaps this has changed since I studied the process of the 'mucociliary escalator' however we still use this in lab safety training all the time.

Is it not possible you missed this class?
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#11 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:07 AM

I react very strongly to fragrances... particularly anything with an artificial baby powder scent. But I don't react to essential oils...

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

Since the offending molecules can be ABSORBED into the mucous membranes you don't have to swallow it. Even spending the day with a spitton at your side won't do any good because as soon as it hits that membrane you have been got. There is lots of info on this in the Lancet and there may even be some by the NIH even though the US is far, far behind many other countries in the recognition of celiac and the methods of transmission and effects of gluten.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#13 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

Typically perfumaries add Orris Root to their product to stabilize it and to make the fragrance last longer, etc. THAT is the thing that causes most people's allergic reactions. That's why most people DON'T react when they wear essential oils.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:04 AM

Typically perfumaries add Orris Root to their product to stabilize it and to make the fragrance last longer, etc. THAT is the thing that causes most people's allergic reactions. That's why most people DON'T react when they wear essential oils.

Many perfumes also use grain derived alcohols in their processing. These can also cause problems for celiacs. I check what the oil is derived from also when using essential oils.

#15 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:41 AM

http://www.bmb.leeds.../escalator.html

Mucus lines the respiratory tract, and cilia beat to remove the mucus out of the lungs. This is a continual process so any particles that penetrate into the lungs are trapped in the mucus and swept out up to the epiglottis where they can be swallowed.

Just in case anyone wants to read up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: