Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac Disease Could Be A Frequent Disease In Mexico

4 posts in this topic

If this has already been posted then please delete. Otherwise take a look at these stats!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_DocSum

On the basis of a well-recognized serologic screening method performed to blood donor samples, we demonstrated an unexpectedly high prevalence of tTGA positivity (2.6%) in the adult Mexican Mestizo population. Thus, the prevalence of celiac disease in Mexico could be higher or similar to that observed in other countries. This observation contributes to increase the awareness for this under diagnosed disease in clinical practice and to consider celiac disease as a global health problem.

2.6% that is getting close to 3 in 100 people.

Ads by Google:

very interesting!

This is really interesting. My husband (who is Mexican) has stomach and digestive problems, but won't admit to it. I am going to try to talk him into getting tested by Enterolab. He was also extremely skinny as a kid (not anymore). Thanks for sharing that!

Normally their staple grain would be corn, I believe. Since these were blood donors, I assume they live in the cities and have adopted a more 'modern' lifestyle, including eating wheat. Which is not part of their traditional diet, and could therefore be a big problem. Makes perfect sense to me.