3 replies to this topic

#1 mle_ii

mle_ii

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

If this has already been posted then please delete. Otherwise take a look at these stats!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_DocSum

On the basis of a well-recognized serologic screening method performed to blood donor samples, we demonstrated an unexpectedly high prevalence of tTGA positivity (2.6%) in the adult Mexican Mestizo population. Thus, the prevalence of celiac disease in Mexico could be higher or similar to that observed in other countries. This observation contributes to increase the awareness for this under diagnosed disease in clinical practice and to consider celiac disease as a global health problem.

2.6% that is getting close to 3 in 100 people.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

very interesting!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#3 prinsessa

prinsessa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

This is really interesting. My husband (who is Mexican) has stomach and digestive problems, but won't admit to it. I am going to try to talk him into getting tested by Enterolab. He was also extremely skinny as a kid (not anymore). Thanks for sharing that!

#4 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:26 AM

Normally their staple grain would be corn, I believe. Since these were blood donors, I assume they live in the cities and have adopted a more 'modern' lifestyle, including eating wheat. Which is not part of their traditional diet, and could therefore be a big problem. Makes perfect sense to me.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: