• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:26 AM

Folks,

I hope someone can tell me about leaky gut symdrome to include:
How would I know if I had it?
What would I do about it?
Could it be the cause of my flu-like symptoms (stay-in-bed exhaustion without the sniffles, sneezes, fever)?

Thanks,

- Henry

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

Well, I guess malabsorption would go along with a leaky gut, though perhaps less often the other way around. So in that case you'd be passing somewhat undigested food. Magnesium is rather important for proper absorption, so that's one thing I'd suggest for any Celiac.

For symptoms, I'd have to think it depends on the foods you eat, and what you are more sensitive to. The toxins which get into your system could cause all sorts of things, so IMHO yes the flu-like symptoms could be from that.

I think all allergies and sensitivities would probably be heightened. That's my two cents.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

There really aren't necessarily any symptoms. But getting autoimmune diseases might be one of the results of it.

#4 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:22 AM

What I know off the top of my head about it:

How to help prevent it/heal it:

Get all foods out of your system that you 'have a problem with' - do a proper elimination diet.

DO NOT take ANY NSAIDS - non-steroidal anti-inflammatories - they help to create the too-permeable to large food molecules (from non-fully digested foods) intestinal lining that IS 'leaky gut'

Drink less alcohol

Get enough 'pro-biotics'

Use digestive enzymes

Don't use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary

#5 sillyyak

sillyyak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

I definitely had leaky gut before I was diagnosed. It was horrible feeling. It really feels like something is leaking inside of you.
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: