17 replies to this topic

#1 Nic

Nic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:39 AM

Hi, before my son was diagnosed with Celiac he loved Honey Nut Chex. The only offensive ingredient is Barley Malt Extract. Now I know Barley is a no-no. But I was hoping that since it is an extract it may be ok. I doubt it, but just wishful thinking. Does anyone know?

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:53 AM

Hi Nicole,

Sorry, but barley malt extract = gluten :(

I'm not a cereal eater, but maybe someone else knows of a gluten-free one that would be similar to the Chex?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 Guest_alex j_*

Guest_alex j_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

You could try Health Valley Corn Crunch Ems or Rice Crumch Ems.

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

Barely Malt extract is not gluten free :(
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:32 AM

Here's why they call it an "extract":

To make malted barley, they soak the grain and sprout it, just enough to turn some of the starch into sugar. Then they stop the growth of the barley sprouts by roasting them at a low temperature. At this point the barley has been 'malted'. You can buy malted barley at any beermaking supply store. They then crush the malted barley by grinding it coarsely. The soluble (fermentable) sugars are extracted from the grain, along with some other soluble carbohydrates (which give beer body), and some gluten. They steeping at a temperature of 140° F for a while, in order not to cook the grain. They then gradually raise the temperature. The resulting brown liquid is filtered to remove particles and boiled down to concentrate it into a syrup, which is called "barley malt" or "barley malt extract", because it is extracted from malted barley.
Nothing

#6 taz sharratt

taz sharratt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:46 AM

Barely Malt extract is not gluten free :(

just had my dietician app and told her i miss my cereal she said i could have kellogs rice krispies :blink: i knew somethiong was a miss there and went home looked it up in my bible ( uk directory) and sure enough it contains barley, well i was shocked that she gave me that advice :angry: she should have known better :blink:
married with 3 boys, maclain, dylan and finlay. symptoms for more than 10 years but only diagnosed may 06. lactose and casien intolerant may 06.

#7 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

taz--that was one of my saddest things to give up---and seemingly so unnecessarily. they do make gluten-free "rice krispies"---usually sell them at health food stores.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:23 AM

You could try Health Valley Corn Crunch Ems or Rice Crumch Ems.

Just as a side note if you are supersensitive or newly gluten free, my DS and I have both gotten sick from CC from this brand of cereal. When I called they did state that there could be a CC issue even though that is not noted on the box. They sent us coupons for 4 free boxes as an apology for making us sick, like I'll use them. I put them on the shelf in the store for others to use if they wanted.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 Nic

Nic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:00 AM

just had my dietician app and told her i miss my cereal she said i could have kellogs rice krispies :blink: i knew somethiong was a miss there and went home looked it up in my bible ( uk directory) and sure enough it contains barley, well i was shocked that she gave me that advice :angry: she should have known better :blink:

It's funny because if you go on Kellogg's website and click the "what is gluten free" link they state that unfortunately none of their cereal are gluten free but that some gluten intolerant people may be able to eat Rice Crispies as there is only a very small amount of malt in them. The suggest we speak to our doctors about it.

Nicole

#10 caligirl94

caligirl94

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:40 AM

taz--that was one of my saddest things to give up---and seemingly so unnecessarily. they do make gluten-free "rice krispies"---usually sell them at health food stores.

my problem with rice or corn based cereals is they tend to be very low in fiber and high glycemic, thus leaving my famished within an hour. anyone have suggestions on breakfasts that are slow digesting other than eggs. i, unfortunately, do not have time to make eggs in the morning.

i really miss my high fiber cereal - but of course, made with wheat.

#11 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:13 AM

my problem with rice or corn based cereals is they tend to be very low in fiber and high glycemic, thus leaving my famished within an hour. anyone have suggestions on breakfasts that are slow digesting other than eggs. i, unfortunately, do not have time to make eggs in the morning.

If you don't have time to make eggs in the morning, make them the night before!

Seriously, you can boil a whole bunch of eggs, peel them, wrap them in plastic, and put them in the fridge. Rachael Ray has a great idiot-proof method for boiling eggs: put in pot, cover with cold water, bring to a boil--and then turn OFF the heat, and cover tightly for 10 (or more) minutes. Result--perfect eggs!

You can also make scrambled eggs or omelettes the night before, wrap them tightly, fridge them, and then nuke them in the morning.

But it really doesn't take more than 3 minutes to fry an egg on both sides, using high heat.

I turn the flame on high under the pan, put a pat of butter in, as soon as it melts and bubbles (30 seconds?), I crack a couple of eggs right into the pan, let them cook for a minute or two (flame still on high), flip them, add a few bacon bits (I buy big bags of pre-cooked real bacon bits and keep them in the freezer, pulling out a handful whenever) and some shredded cheese, cover for 30 seconds, and breakfast is ready!

If I'm in a real hurry, I fold the egg over around the cheese, plop it into a ziploc bag, and eat it in the car (remember to take a napkin!).

#12 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

There are some breakfast cereals that are high in fiber, but you have to read every label. I have found one made of flax that's pretty high in fiber. I've also had some made of amaranth, buckwheat and/or quinoa. I find the rice cereals do the same thing with me. The flax cereal I eat is Perky's Nutty Flax, it's kind of like a smaller version of grape nuts. (that's the closest thing I can compare it to) It's much better if you add some fruit to it, although I eat it by itself a lot. It's pretty high in both protein and fiber. Hope that helps!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#13 Babs83

Babs83

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Rice Chex are now gluten free. They use molasses instead of barley malt extract.
Barb

#14 HyperGirl

HyperGirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:24 AM

I was wondering about this, because it's in the cereal I eat but the allergy advice doesn't mention it containing gluten!

I feel sick and awful and my tummy is making a lot of noise!

I've not actually been diagnosed celiac yet but I went to my doctor on Friday and have blood tests on Wednesday.

I'm glad I found this thread (well I searched it on Google and it was the first page!), because it's been bugging me for a while and I've often wondered why I feel sick and empty after the cereal.

Oh well, the more gluten the better I guess, seeing as I'm being tested in 2 days' time :P

#15 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

The allergy advice doesn't have to mention "gluten" specifically. It only has to mention the top 8 allergens, one of which is wheat. "Gluten" is not among the top 8 allergens.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: