5 replies to this topic

#1 mumseyh

mumseyh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Has anyone had experience with this company? My doc has recommended a Celia Gene test to determine if there is a family history. My blood work is positve and the biopsy is negative. My GI doc does not recognize gluten intolerance, but family doc is up on the latest research. I am thinking of just going gluten free and skipping this $480 test that isn't covered by insurance. Family history: My mother has an ilieostomy from severe ulcerative colitis. Also has skin form of lupus. My father died from complications after 5 surgeries in a week for a severe intestinal blockage. His autopsy stated undiagnosed diverticulitis and ruptured diverticulum. I have been treated for IBS since high school (over 30 years) with minimal results. I also have GERD and Barrett's Esophagus. My sister has some suspicious problems, as well - mainly ulcers in her mouth that nobody can clear up and yeast infections. Any insight would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:58 AM

Positive bloodwork is a positive diagnosis. A biopsy can only rule celiac in, not out, since damage can be patchy or further down the intestine than the scope can reach. I say go gluten-free and skip the expensive gene test unless you need it for peace of mind.

And welcome! :)
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#3 mumseyh

mumseyh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:06 AM

Thanks! I am reading up on going gluten free and looking forward to it. My husband thinks it is a great idea, and said he will be supportive. I was worried he might think it was a crazy whim, but he really respects the family doc for turning us on to the research. I have just lost 12 pounds on weight watchers and I asked if they have info about adapting to gluten free. The teacher suggested the core program which is mainly meat, fruit and veggies. It sounds like it should work. Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to hear your test went well, too.

#4 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

Thanks! I am reading up on going gluten free and looking forward to it. My husband thinks it is a great idea, and said he will be supportive. I was worried he might think it was a crazy whim, but he really respects the family doc for turning us on to the research. I have just lost 12 pounds on weight watchers and I asked if they have info about adapting to gluten free. The teacher suggested the core program which is mainly meat, fruit and veggies. It sounds like it should work. Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to hear your test went well, too.

What a co-inkidink...I'm on WW, too! It's very easily adapted to gluten-free, and I eat flex, not core. It's really easy, actually. Core might be easier for you in the beginning of being gluten-free, while you're learning about what is and isn't gluten-free. I'd reccommend Tinkyada pasta, it's made from brown rice and has the same points value as normal pasta, it's tasty, and it's core!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#5 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:48 AM

If you still want to have the gene test done, enterolab does a gene test plus the whole gluten panel for $369. It incluedes ttg and malabsorption and maybe still dairy. They probably offer the gene testing separate. Check out their website here.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#6 chrissy

chrissy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:02 AM

my son was tested by promethius because he is IgA deficient. we are enrolled in a celiac study and all of our family will be gene tested. i really want to know who has the genes----then i will know who needs to be tested on a regular basis to see if celiac has become activated.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: