This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab Test

Mayflowers

Mayflowers Contributor

Well I got back my egg, soy and yeast. Hey I can have yeast <_<yum.

This really ROTS. :angry:

I should lose weight in no time eating like this..

I have a good mind to get the A.L.C.A.T. test done just to compare that I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yea, but what can you eat the yeast with??? :lol:

Sorry you got bad news ... it'll get easier once you get familiar with everything you can have.

AndreaB Contributor

Mayflowers,

I'm sorry. :(

Do you eat meat at all? How about beans?

Ener-g has an egg replacer that you can sub for eggs that are used in baking.

Something I tried recently for french toast was orange juice. I thought it tasted pretty good. I usually blend up nut milk.....1/2 cup nuts to 4 cups water (blend in about 1-2 cups water first then add rest). You can add a touch of salt, some vanilla and/or some type of sweetener if you want. Cashews are real easy to blend into milk but almonds have better nutrition.

I am soy and gluten intolerant and dairy allergic (midline low) so don't have dairy a lot. I have a recipe for butter which uses carrot juice and refined coconut oil primarily. I'd be glad to post it if you'd like. It does turn things orange but the flavor is pretty good.

What types of food do you eat and what kind of recipes would you be looking at to replace? I may have something I can dig up.

Mayflowers Contributor
Mayflowers,

I'm sorry. :(

Do you eat meat at all? How about beans?

Ener-g has an egg replacer that you can sub for eggs that are used in baking.

Something I tried recently for french toast was orange juice. I thought it tasted pretty good. I usually blend up nut milk.....1/2 cup nuts to 4 cups water (blend in about 1-2 cups water first then add rest). You can add a touch of salt, some vanilla and/or some type of sweetener if you want. Cashews are real easy to blend into milk but almonds have better nutrition.

I am soy and gluten intolerant and dairy allergic (midline low) so don't have dairy a lot. I have a recipe for butter which uses carrot juice and refined coconut oil primarily. I'd be glad to post it if you'd like. It does turn things orange but the flavor is pretty good.

What types of food do you eat and what kind of recipes would you be looking at to replace? I may have something I can dig up.

I was told by Enterolab that it's ok to have ghee. It doesn't have casein in it. So I basically use ghee and olive oil. I've been drinking almond milk from Diamond. it's ok in my coffee. It's fortified. I was wondering how I was going to get my calcium, not being able to have dairy. I was going to eat goat cheese, even though Dr. Fine doesn't think any dairy is healthy..I feel really deprived (or is it depraved? :lol: )

Thanks but I think I'm allergic to coconut. I don't like pork. Beef is ok I don't really like red meat. I eat fish, seafood and right now chicken and turkey. I was thinking of going vegetarian but I'm not sure if it would be good for me. I have some bean intolerances besides soy. I love vegetables, but I'm not a big fruit eater.

AndreaB Contributor

As a former vegan, I don't recommend that diet if you have intolerances. It would be extremely difficult to maintain your health. Obviously lacto-ovo is out. If you are choosy about your meat and try to only buy the organic, natural, 100% grass fed meats it will be much better and tastier. The natural meats have a better balance of the omega's. We order 100% grass fed beef online and it is reasonably priced. The company is Open Original Shared Link. They also sell many other things and if you call customer service they are very helpful.

I've been drinking calcium fortified orange juice by minute maid. Someone just posted earlier tonight about that not being good so I'll have to look up info for that. I'm also taking a calcium, magnesium, vit d supplement and my children are taking chewable calcium supplements, Rhino from Nutrition Now which is good. I've copied there reply.......

Thank you for your e-mail.

Yes, the Rhino Chewable Calcium Cherry tablets are free of gluten/wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, and peanuts.

Sincerely,

Nutrition Now, Inc

Dairy is a hard one to give up. I've been eating some and always get some congestion from it. I just got some raw cheese from the same company above but you wouldn't be able to have that either. I'll have to try the ghee sometime. I have a lot of vegan cookbooks that I can try to find stuff in if you need me to.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I agree with Andrea, I would not go vegatarian. I ate that way, primarily -- I'd eat meat at a friend's house or on the holidays, it was just a health kick I was on -- for years. From what I've been reading about adrenal fatigue, which most gluten intolerants suffer from, is that we need lots of protein. The articles I've read say that if you have adrenal fatigue, you probably will never recover from it completely on a vegetarian diet. So, if you're tired and foggy most of the time, like I am, you definately wouldn't want to become vegetarian -- right now anyway.

Mayflowers Contributor
I agree with Andrea, I would not go vegatarian. I ate that way, primarily -- I'd eat meat at a friend's house or on the holidays, it was just a health kick I was on -- for years. From what I've been reading about adrenal fatigue, which most gluten intolerants suffer from, is that we need lots of protein. The articles I've read say that if you have adrenal fatigue, you probably will never recover from it completely on a vegetarian diet. So, if you're tired and foggy most of the time, like I am, you definately wouldn't want to become vegetarian -- right now anyway.

Carla, how did you feel eating vegetarian? Did you have a lot of energy? I can't really tolerate beef. It makes my arthritis flare up. I don't like pork. I like chicken and turkey. If I just ate fish that would be pretty close to being vegetarian...

:D

Thanks Andrea, but I'm allergic to citrus. How did you feel as a vegan? Why did you go back to meat? I take calcium supplements. I'm going to eat goat cheese for added calcium. I tried it and it didn't stuff my nose up like regular cheese.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
Thanks Andrea, but I'm allergic to citrus. How did you feel as a vegan? Why did you go back to meat? I take calcium supplements. I'm going to eat goat cheese for added calcium. I tried it and it didn't stuff my nose up like regular cheese.

I felt fine. Going vegan got us out of eating more unhealthfully but I have since learned that if you eat the meat that's raised the way nature intended that it is healthier. We went back to meat due to our intolerance to gluten and soy and my allergy to dairy. We feel much better on the meat eating diet than the vegan diet. I find that I don't have to eat as much to be full. I can eat an awful lot. :P I am taking calcium supplements too.

Have you tried the 100% grass fed beef. I would try that before you give up beef completely. Others with malabsorption can handle it. If you need to just eat fish, chicken and/or turkey that would be fine too. Make sure you buy the animals that are raised naturally though. They are better for you.

I'm also allergic to goat.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I felt pretty good. However, most of the meat replacement products have wheat, so I lost a lot of weight. I also started having health problems, did some research and realized I needed more protein than I was getting. I added back in meat and felt somewhat better. This was all before gluten-free.

I think the reason I felt good was that I was eating so much healthier, not that I was eating vegetarian. I was really concious about what I was eating, where it came from, etc. I juiced, and ate a lot of fresh foods and raw veggies. The real reason I did not eat meat was that organic meat is so expensive and I have six kids! I'd buy an organic, free-range turkey on Thanksgiving, but for every day, we did not eat meat.

Now, I buy some things organic, and others regular ... once the kids are grown, I'll buy everything organic.

I would not cut out the chicken and turkey if you are not having a problem with them. Fish gets old fast ... I overdid the fish a few months ago and can hardly look at it anymore! I think the main help would be for you to just have the mindset that a lot of vegetarians have about eating fresh fruits and veggies, minimal processed foods, etc. But keep the eggs and meat. Like Andrea said, be sure they're from a good source so you don't have to worry about all the bad stuff -- anti-biotics, hormones, etc.

Edit- oops, maybe not eggs!

Ursa Major Collaborator

You don't need any dairy, whether from cows, goats or whatever for calcium. In fact, the calcium in cows milk can't even be utilized by humans, especially due to the enzymes needed to digest it are killed by pasteurizing it.

In fact, NOBODY needs milk for anything. Milk from any species (humans included) is to feed the babies from that species. Have you seen any adult mammals drink milk? Why are we told that people need milk after weaning?

My husband's grandmother was severely allergic to cows milk. She never drank any in her life. She got her calcium from dark leafy vegetables. When she broke her femur when she was 98, they did a bone scan (thinking the fracture would be due to osteoporosis), and her bones were perfect, no sign of osteoporosis. She walked again within six months, and lived to be nearly 100.

It's a myth perpetuated by the dairy industry and the government that we need dairy for calcium. We don't.

Fish gets old fast

What do you mean with that, Carla? Do you mean you get tired of it, or it goes bad quickly? Sorry, but I hate not knowing what people say, and I can't always figure it out myself, which is frustrating.

Mayflowers Contributor

Oh, yeah, organic is expensive. :o I have a Wild Oats near me and also a Whole Foods store, so I can get organic beef.

Six kids?!! :blink: Good heavens! I can barely handle 2 kids who now are teens... I try to buy organic produce and when I buy beef it's Angus, which is supposed to be all natural.

Thanks for the calcium support Ursula. I'll start eating more dark leafy greens. Spinach, kale, swiss chard, collards...am I missing anything..turnip greens? Beet Greens? I think Carla meant she got tired of the taste of fish fast...right Carla? That would probably be me also. I'm not a real fish lover unless fried in wheat flour :) I do like sea food though...hmm.

Carla, weight loss is good..for me anyway. I need to lose 40 pounds. Do you still juice? I started juicing when I read a newsletter from Dr. Williams. He wrote about how good for the body juicing is and that it prevents cancer and makes the liver healthier when beet juice is added. I have a Juiceman Pro. I tried the Jack La Lane juicer but it's too dang hard to take apart and clean.

As with eating meat, I'm worried about the increased risk of colon cancer.

CarlaB Enthusiast
What do you mean with that, Carla? Do you mean you get tired of it, or it goes bad quickly? Sorry, but I hate not knowing what people say, and I can't always figure it out myself, which is frustrating.

Sorry, in writing sometimes things don't make sense ... I mean I got tired of it quickly.

I don't still juice. It is good for you, but I didn't have the time for it. I liked carrot, celery, beet. Another favorite was celery-apple. The leafy veggies are good to juice, but they add quite a strong flavor. I have a Juiceman II.

I think that with eating healthy colon cancer won't be such a concern. With eating lots of fruits and veggies, you get the fiber to "move" the meat!

Mayflowers Contributor

One of the main arguments against meat is that all the toxins, pesticides, pollution, chemicals, drugs are absorbed in the fat of the animal. When you eat animals, you get a huge dose of the poisons I just mentioned compared to very little if eating vegetarian.

Even eating organic meat you'd still have the aforementioned poisons in the fat of the animal, minus harmones and antibiotics. But I did read that they so far did a study and there wasn't a significant longer life for vegetarians than meat eaters. One study showed a longer life span for vegetarians but the doctors believed that the reason was because vegetarians tend to eat healthier and care about their bodies on the average more than meat eaters.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It was the pesticides and hormones coupled with the price that kept us eating mostly vegetarian. I agree that it's the awareness most of them have about health and prevention that may affect the longer life, if they were to have it. There are some, though, that eat as unhealthy as the rest of the population. It all depends on their reason for doing it. I think anything in moderation is good, and that you should have a really good reason for cutting out a food group (except dairy, I tend to agree with Ursula). It's especially bad for us since we tend to have low B12 levels anyway!

Mayflowers Contributor

I read that milk and dairy inhibit the absorbtion of iron. No wonder I was always anemic as a kid. :huh:

Archived