This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alternative Cure? Or Am I Just Hopeful?

tailz

tailz Apprentice

I've been doing a lot of research to find out what I can do on my own because my doctors don't believe I have gluten problems. In fact, even with a positive egg allergy, my doc thought I was anorexic, not even asking me if I'd been eating bacon and eggs every day for breakfast. But I read that colloidal silver used to be used to treat things like candida, if you believe in the leaky gut/chronic candidiasis theory. Anybody ever try colloidal silver? I'm tempted to try it and see if it helps. This it what they used to kill microorganisms before Pfizer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Doll
I've been doing a lot of research to find out what I can do on my own because my doctors don't believe I have gluten problems. In fact, even with a positive egg allergy, my doc thought I was anorexic, not even asking me if I'd been eating bacon and eggs every day for breakfast. But I read that colloidal silver used to be used to treat things like candida, if you believe in the leaky gut/chronic candidiasis theory. Anybody ever try colloidal silver? I'm tempted to try it and see if it helps. This it what they used to kill microorganisms before Pfizer.

Ooh boy....please tell me you are not seeing a "naturopathic doctor" who is giving you ideas...

First of all, if you truly have an egg allergy, you may get hives, trouble breathing, etc. You will NOT get weight loss from an egg allergy.

You did mention you have anti-muscle antibodies/autoimmune muscle disease, am I right? What is being done for this? This can explain why you feel so bad. It's not necessarly gluten, although cutting it out won't hurt, it also may not help.

Please read the article below on colloidal silver, and PLEASE do not use this!!!

Open Original Shared Link

plantime Contributor
First of all, if you truly have an egg allergy, you may get hives, trouble breathing, etc. You will NOT get weight loss from an egg allergy.

Allergic reactions cause many symptoms, not just asthma, hives, and anaphlyxia. My egg/poultry allergy causes severe migraines. My allergist called it all in my head, but my sister's allergist said it is an allergy, just with different symptoms. One symptom of an allergy can easily be weight gain or loss.

As for colloidal silver, a woman I used to know swore by it. She was totally shocked when she got sick, though, so I guess it doesn't cure or prevent everything.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Doll, I say: Beware of Quackwatch! They will diss ANYTHING that doesn't make Big Pharma money, and are therefore, in my books, highly suspect. And that picture of the man who's skin is sort of grey, hey, where is the proof that it isn't a fake? I've read many of their articles/stories, and I wouldn't trust them at all. They are the quacks for the most part, and don't know what the heck they're talking about.

The stories quoted are ridiculous. The reality is, that NOBODY is supposed to be using colloidal silver indefinitely, just like taking antibiotics for years would be VERY bad for your health. If a good naturopathic doctor administers it, and using a high quality solution, it can be very beneficial.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I would personally not try colloidal silver.

Guest Doll
Allergic reactions cause many symptoms, not just asthma, hives, and anaphlyxia. My egg/poultry allergy causes severe migraines. My allergist called it all in my head, but my sister's allergist said it is an allergy, just with different symptoms. One symptom of an allergy can easily be weight gain or loss.

As for colloidal silver, a woman I used to know swore by it. She was totally shocked when she got sick, though, so I guess it doesn't cure or prevent everything.

From my understanding, there is no evidence to suggest an allergy can cause weight loss. It is a histamine reaction. They are an immediate allergic response. A migraine (expanding and contracting blood vessels) fits in very well with a histamine reaction.

I really don't know what to say about your friend. Did she become ill from the colloidal silver, or because it was ineffective to treat her? Sometimes ND's will prescribe anything, even knowing that the illness is not treatable with "natural" medicine. They want your money too.

You could use this example to say colloidal silver diesn't prevent ANYTHING.

They claim it is useful to treat bacteria (it's toxic to ALL cells, so that is not surprising), but I have not seen yeast.

At least the MD from Quackwatch is not trying to sell you something.

I personally refuse to tell someone on this board they should ingest a potentially toxic metal. Especially when many seem to state that their main goal is to clear out our systems from toxins.

Again, I do not recommend you use this. I am with Carriefaith on this.

eKatherine Rookie
Wow. I didn't think I'd get this reponse. First, my egg allergy was my only blood test *proven* allergy. I removed glutens probably 99 percent prior to my biopsy. My biopsy was negative as was my blood test for wheat, but after removing wheat and glutens, I was able to gain a couple of pounds and noticed improvement. I just removed soy and noticed additional improvement. Blood tests aren't always accurate, especially if you haven't been eating the food in question. You may not have enough circulating to test positive. The allergist I saw said it's possible I faked the biopsy out. The whole point of going gluten-free is to repair the colon. So even though my docs think I'm nuts, there is no way I will intentionally ingest glutens. It's been horrible. I agree, too, that true allergies can cause a variety of symptoms...some serious...some not so serious. I swear soy caused me soy-chosis.

As for the colloidal silver, I think I might try it. There is a safe dose of it and it's worth a shot. I think the horror stories we hear are cases where a large amount was consumed or it was consumed over a lengthy period in large concentrations. I know one man was creating his own in his kitchen. Seriously, many medications on the market today are made from plants or old remedies. We didn't have Pfizer years ago when they were dropping silver dollars in milk to keep it from spoiling. They put these drops in the eyes of newborns to prevent infection today. They use it on burn victims to hasten healing with the added benefit that it doesn't sting...another reason why they use the drops in the eyes of infants. So though I don't think I'll drink 8 oz of it daily, I think the recommended amount is worth a try. Pharmaceutical companies would like me to believe it's unsafe, but my dad is still alive at 82, so it can't be that dangerous. I'll let you know if I turn blue...I was looking pretty blue with my gluten reactions anyway;) Carol

Seriously. You need to reconsider this. There are good reasons not to use colloidal silver.

3. Do colloidal silver products work?

Reviews in the scientific literature on colloidal silver products have concluded that2-5:

Silver has no known function in the body.

Silver is not an essential mineral supplement or a cure-all and should not be promoted as such.

Claims that there can be a "deficiency" of silver in the body and that such a deficiency can lead to disease are unfounded.

Claims made about the effectiveness of colloidal silver products for numerous diseases are unsupported scientifically.

Colloidal silver products can have serious side effects (discussed further below).

Laboratory analysis has shown that the amounts of silver in supplements vary greatly, which can pose risks to the consumer.

Open Original Shared Link, or why silver is no longer in general use for the purposes you stated before.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie
I think I read about 2 cases of silver poisoning and both were unusual cases. I mean, if I drink too much water it can kill me. I still don't think it will hurt me to take the recommended dose. If you only knew what I'd been through with my doctors. I honestly believe their *safe* meds are why I am sick and reacting to foods I once could eat in the first place. I was on antidepressants and anti-anxietymeds...both mess with T-cells. Then antibiotics and steroids. My immune system is all confused. I think my body is mistaking my muscles for the candida it's trying to kill.

I know I was on Vioxx, determined to be *safe*. Look what the government says now. Look at how safe hormone replacement was years ago and look at it now. I think silver is probably safer than most drugs out there, mostly because it has been around so long.

I think you need to stop challenging your system with drugs and allow your body to heal in its own time.

Guest Doll
I think I read about 2 cases of silver poisoning and both were unusual cases. I mean, if I drink too much water it can kill me. I still don't think it will hurt me to take the recommended dose. If you only knew what I'd been through with my doctors. I honestly believe their *safe* meds are why I am sick and reacting to foods I once could eat in the first place. I was on antidepressants and anti-anxietymeds...both mess with T-cells. Then antibiotics and steroids. My immune system is all confused. I think my body is mistaking my muscles for the candida it's trying to kill.

I know I was on Vioxx, determined to be *safe*. Look what the government says now. Look at how safe hormone replacement was years ago and look at it now. I think silver is probably safer than most drugs out there, mostly because it has been around so long.

Well, of course you are going to do what you want. But if we didn't care about you, we wouldn't suggest what we have. There are risks to ANY and ALL medications. But normally when you get a Rx from a Dr. you are getting follow up, accurate potency and dosage, screening for side effects, and usually some benefit to treat your illness.

If you try this, you can not be sure the person trying to sell it to you from their website really has your health as his personal interest.

Most of us develop autoimmunity WITHOUT ever having used Rx "meds". Myself included. There is no scientific basis to think that. Autoimmunity has existed much longer than the pharmaceutical companies.

If you believe in the "leaky gut" theory, this may be why you are now reacting to other foods. The leaky gut has not been corrected, you have just cut the known foods that pass through and bother you out of your diet.

I am not saying that the candida theory has no merit, it intrigues me and in fact I am interested to research it further. I DON'T think it is worth ingesting sliver for, though.

I do agree the Vioxx scandal is bad. But just because something is "natural", it DOES NOT make it anymore safe OR effective. Look at how many people died from Ephedra!!!

Based on your theory of long-term candida suppression, you WOULD have to take this for a long (indefinite?) period of time.

This is not worth the risk! In any amount! No amount of silver is 100% safe!

taz sharratt Enthusiast

what is the leaky gut/ chronic candidiasis theory? anyway ive had cronic thrush ( candida) for 10 years ongoing, i had creams and peseries and tablets till they were comeing out my ears, in the end everything they gave me treat the thrush would not work, it got so bad i ended up in hospital. my doctor washed her hands with me and orderd every test she could think of, anyway long story short im gluten, wheat, dairy, nut and white suger free and since may this year i have had thrush once and that was when i was doing a gluten challenge which i quickly stopped and the thrush then went away. when you are in so much pain from thrush you get desperate and will try anything, i know, i have been there and have tried some of the most unusual things to get rid of it, try the diet for a while and see what happens. if nothing hapens then try different avenues, ive never heard of this silver thing and wouldnt say DONT but please be carefull of what you take especailly buying over the net as in my experiance you dont know who you are buying from. sorry for being so long but wanted to reply, everyone has diffeent oppinions and this is just mine so someone probably thinks im talking out my bum. hope this helps and you feel better soon.

daffadilly Apprentice

I would advise you to stay gluten free & forget additional medications whether natural or not.

your body will heal if you feed it the right foods & give it a chance. Are you getting 8 hours of sleep a night, at least? are you eating nutritious healthy meals with lots of fruit & veggies? have you checked the Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

Some no - no's

are you smoking? drinking sodas? drinking coffee? drinking alcoholic beverages?

re eating eggs & weight loss, well if you eat eggs for breakfst & they make you puckey sick, then you might not have much of an appetite for lunch much less a mid morning snack. So, I would say yes, an allergy to eggs could cause weight loss. The last time I ate something that made me allergy sick (green, sweaty, nauceous) I could not eat for 2 days.

Doll, I find most of your posts highly amusing. Are you from the U.S.?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would not touch this treatment with someone else's hand <_< It is going to take time to heal from the years of exposure to gluten, get yourself completely gluten-free, in everything and give your body time to heal. I was so sick and in so much pain 4 years ago that I wanted to die and my DD even said the family would understand if I killed myself. It took a long time but I have been pain and med free since my diagnosis, I weaned off all meds before trying the diet and have never had to add a single one back. Give your body time to heal, eat well and gluten free and don't mess with stuff like this.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have successfully used colloidal silver as an antibiotic for mastitis. I kept getting mastitis due to the stress of building a house (I was the project manager, it was our home) and because of my problem with candida did not want to keep going on antibiotics. I would give the silver 36 hours to work, then if it didn't, I would have gone to the doctor, but it worked every time, and yes, it was really mastitis with a high fever, pain, etc. It does work very well as an antibiotic.

I've only skimmed through the posts ... so I don't know all that was said.

I would not use it regularly or for a chronic problem. Consider it a drug with a purpose. I have used it for years and consider it to have fewer side-effects than stronger anti-biotics. As with any alternative meds, you will get arguments both ways.

Just an interesting side note: The reason rich people used to be called blue-blood is rumored to be from using silver as medicine then getting the gray skin. The antibiotic properties of it is why we have silverware when kings could have afforded gold. Also, it was used in the past to sterilize petri dishes in laboratories.

The way it is made today is supposed to not make your skin gray. But I would not take it for an extended period of time.

Guest Doll
re eating eggs & weight loss, well if you eat eggs for breakfst & they make you puckey sick, then you might not have much of an appetite for lunch much less a mid morning snack. So, I would say yes, an allergy to eggs could cause weight loss. The last time I ate something that made me allergy sick (green, sweaty, nauceous) I could not eat for 2 days.

Doll, I find most of your posts highly amusing. Are you from the U.S.?

I actually agree that nausea and vomiting CAN cause weight loss, but usually people with allergies have a histamine reaction, which does NOT cause weight loss.

Remember, Celiac Disease is NOT an allergy, so don't get confused.

Um...If you look under my name, you can clearly see where I am from....

You would find my posts highly "amusing". You're the one poster who though the fatal kind of diabetes (Type 1-an autoimmune disease) was caused by eating sugar. :blink:

utdan Apprentice

I knew a guy 9 years ago who made colloidal silver and claimed to be one of a very few who made the stuff at the grade and potency (25ppm) he did. Anyway, he said the stuff is supposed to be not only anti-bactierial but anti-viral as well. When I got a cold I took the stuff and didn't see any difference at all.

I think it would be interesting to put that silver dollar in the milk thing to a test. Has anyone done this? Just two glasses of milk stored in the same location--one a control group with nothing added, the other has a silver dollar. Which one spoils first and by how long?

plantime Contributor
From my understanding, there is no evidence to suggest an allergy can cause weight loss. It is a histamine reaction. They are an immediate allergic response. A migraine (expanding and contracting blood vessels) fits in very well with a histamine reaction.

This is how my sister's allergist explained it to me: when the body is having a histamine reaction, systems tend to shut down. This includes the appetite, which leads to weight loss. Also, the intestinal tract is a mucous membrane, so it oozes mucous when a histamine reaction happens. This causes diarrhea, which causes weight loss. The body needs energy, so it pulls fat from cells, which causes weight loss. Do you understand now how an allergy can cause weight loss?

Melzo Rookie
They put these drops in the eyes of newborns to prevent infection today.

They no longer put these drops in the eyes of newborns - at least at my hospital. They have gone to erythromycin drops. Because....when you put these drops in newborns (or anyone for that matter), it would burn and turn their eyes red and swollen for days. Putting silver nitrate into a baby's eyes to prevent gonorrheal infection was once routine but has unintended consequences. Just try it and you will see for yourself. I personally, would not put these drops in my eyes (or my baby's). Just think what it would do to the inside of your body!!

plantime Contributor
Just an interesting side note: The reason rich people used to be called blue-blood is rumored to be from using silver as medicine then getting the gray skin. The antibiotic properties of it is why we have silverware when kings could have afforded gold. Also, it was used in the past to sterilize petri dishes in laboratories.

I was always told that the reason rich people were called blue-bloods was because they never went outside, so their skin was very pale, almost translucent, and you could see their veinous blood through the skin. Interesting to hear about the silver connection!

daffadilly Apprentice
I actually agree that nausea and vomiting CAN cause weight loss, but usually people with allergies have a histamine reaction, which does NOT cause weight loss.

Remember, Celiac Disease is NOT an allergy, so don't get confused.

Um...If you look under my name, you can clearly see where I am from....

You would find my posts highly "amusing". You're the one poster who though the fatal kind of diabetes (Type 1-an autoimmune disease) was caused by eating sugar. :blink:

sorry I have not read your bio, I never said sugar caused diabetes, I think you misread that, Is english your first language? I did refer at the end of a jest about a diabetic eating sugar, not the cause of the diabetes, the diabetics that I know cannot eat sugar, maybe the ones that you know can. even those comments were offhand & not to be taken in a serious manner. It seems to me that you only have a serious side. Are you being paid by a drug company or someone else to post on here? It seems like most of your posts are driven by your own needs and not in compassion or help to others.

You just do not seem very supportive to people on this board. And you also come across as very critical of others symptoms and feelings.

Most of the people from Canada post on the Delphi board

plantime Contributor
You just do not seem very supportive to people on this board. And you also come across as very critical of others symptoms and feelings.

My thoughts, exactly.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Actually, Doll does NOT strike me as being either unsupportive or critical.

She is doing what we are all doing on this board: exchanging ideas, experiences, and perspectives.

Unfortunately, Western medicine, naturopathic medicine, and chiropractic care share two traits: they all have some real cures to offer, and they all have quacks practicing them as well as gifted, skilled, and caring practitioners.

The first chiropractor I ever went to did absolutely nothing for me and convinced me that the whole field of chiropractic was a joke. The second (whom I went to unwillingly after my primary care provider (and MD) strongly recommended him after I severely injured my back) took away 90% of my pain in the first visit.

The first orthopedist I saw after being struck by an SUV and dislocating my shoulderrefused to order an MRI; he said he already knew what I had done, and that I could start physical therapy after a month in a sling. Turned out, my shoulder was really mangled--torn tendons, torn cartilage, separated A/C joint--not a good injury for a violinist. He then insisted that I needed surgery, but would not discuss details or answer questions. The second ortho I saw 4 months later scheduled an MRI, explained WHY he thought I needed surgery, discussed the option of not having surgery, and, when I saw that I was a bit shell-shocked, he set aside an appointment for me just to answer all my questions (believe me, I had many).

I have never been to a holistic/naturopathic doctor, but a friend of mine brought her daughter to one. Her daughter had been having recurrent ear infections after starting milk. Every MD she saw recommended constant low-dose antibiotics. The naturopath said, "Hmm, I'm not sure about this, but let's try pulling her off dairy products." The ear infections completely disappeared--except every couple of months when my friend would try dairy products again.

When my oldest was an infant, the pediatricians actually PRESCRIBED cold medicine whenever he had a cold. He wasn't even that uncomfortable, as long as I held him! We all know that cold medicines do absolutely nothing for a cold; we DON'T know the long-term risks of giving them to infants, any more than we know the long-term risks of giving infants 26 vaccines by the time they are 18 months old. We DO know the long-term risks of mercury exposure, but that didn't stop the pediatricians from injecting it into our infants in many of those vaccines.

But, while that certainly makes Western medicine look pretty bad, my OBGYN probably saved my oldest son's life (and probably mine as well) by inducing him 3 weeks early due to myriad complications, none of which were caused by Western medicine.

It's so very complicated; we can't afford to write off any of these branches of medicine, as they all have something to offer. Unfortunately, we can't afford to completely trust any of them, either.

GFBetsy Rookie
Unfortunately, Western medicine, naturopathic medecine, and chiropractic care share two traits: they all have some real cures to offer, and they all have quacks practicing them as well as gifted, skilled, and caring practitioners.

. . .

It's so very complicated; we can't afford to write off any of these branches of medicine, as they all have something to offer. Unfortunately, we can't afford to completely trust any of them, either.

Totally agree! Loved the way you explained it.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

My mother first took me to a naturopathic doctor when I was six weeks old and had a sinus infection -- and I kept it for six weeks. He kept telling her to do saline rinses of my nasal passages and it would go away. Finally, my grandmother convinced her to bring me into Louisville to our family doctor -- who diagnosed me with every type of infection available for a three month old infant. I was VERY VERY sick.

As an adult, I decided to go to a naturopathic doctor -- she prescribed vitamins that I was to take 6 times per day . . . I ended up with lupus-like symptoms -- hot swollen joints which were completely immobile, etc. etc. She also prescribed colloidal silver for my ears . . it burned the living daylights out of them, and I noticed no particular improvement.

As for silver nitrate . . . that is used for cauterization, as well. Silver nitrate sticks are used to coagulate the blood to stop bleeding in a wound. It was also used when my son's nose would NOT stop bleeding after several hours during one particularly bad nosebleed. It is some strong stuff. Both my kids had it put in their eyes (they're 20 and 24) -- is it any wonder that their eyes were swollen closed for the pictures the next day?????

I was going to a doctor who was a very good combination of Eastern and Western medicine. Unfortunately, his practice policies got him into some ummmm......hot water, and I can't seem to locate him. I've switched to a traditional Western MD who recognizes that I do appreciate some of the Eastern traditions . . . so far, we haven't butted heads very much!

As a PT, we are supposed to (evidently by Doctrine -- just a joke) supposed to be HIGHLY against chiropractors. Phooey. I have met some of the BEST chiropractors . . . that's what they're TRAINED to do --manipulate the spine -- and they do it WELL. Conversely, I have met some of the WORST Physical Therapists -- actually graduated with a couple of 'em!! Each specialty has good and bad. Take what you can from the good ones, dismiss what you know is bologna from the bad ones, and find a happy medium.

But the colloidal silver? I really had a BAD experience with it . . . . ;)

LKelly8 Rookie
. . . Most of the people from Canada post on the Delphi board . . .

Well, I like you Doll. (And I'm not even Canadian, gasp!) ;):D

eKatherine Rookie
My point is...your doctor knows the benefits of colloidal silver or it wouldn't be a mainstay for newborns and burn victims today, but he ain't gonna tell you.

It isn't a mainstay for newborns and burn victims today. It's a home remedy. There are safer drugs that doctors use for these purposes.

The sites I found were full of "medical articles" that were untraceable. A lot of these sites subscribe to the "one cause for all disease, one cure for all diseases" conspiracy theory.

I had to search a long time before finding a site on colloidal silver that wasn't selling either colloidal silver or a colloidal silver generator.

Oops...I almost forgot. What's the SCD Diet? I think I remember reading it was no grains, no dairy, no fruit, no bread, no sugar? Just meat and veggies?

There's lots of information available on the web if you search on "SCD Diet" or "Specific Carbohydrate Diet". If you haven't been doing your research on the web, where did you get your colloidal silver information from?

Archived