This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Paranoid?

taz sharratt

taz sharratt Enthusiast

2 days ago my youngest son came in to go to the toilet, within seconds i herad screaming my som ran out of the bathroom crying and saying " my willy my willy it hurts" it was awfull :unsure: this went on for a while and i amnaged to cal him down when he allowd me to look at him his penis was red and infalmed so i took him to the docs who said he may have an infection and gave steriod cream and antifungal cream, now i know the doc gave him that as she thought it may be thrush, this scares me as my main symtom of celiac was thrush, he has had another attack like this yesterday in the middle of tesco and screaming again, im traeting him with cream and he hasnt had another attack yet but i feel like a big red flag is waveing in my face about this, my hubby is against getting any of the kids tested and says that im too clued in tho the whole gluten thing and am paranoid about it, am i ? or am i justified in my thinking, could it just be a water infection? ive allready done a water sample which has been sent off.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
2 days ago my youngest son came in to go to the toilet, within seconds i herad screaming my som ran out of the bathroom crying and saying " my willy my willy it hurts" it was awfull :unsure: this went on for a while and i amnaged to cal him down when he allowd me to look at him his penis was red and infalmed so i took him to the docs who said he may have an infection and gave steriod cream and antifungal cream, now i know the doc gave him that as she thought it may be thrush, this scares me as my main symtom of celiac was thrush, he has had another attack like this yesterday in the middle of tesco and screaming again, im traeting him with cream and he hasnt had another attack yet but i feel like a big red flag is waveing in my face about this, my hubby is against getting any of the kids tested and says that im too clued in tho the whole gluten thing and am paranoid about it, am i ? or am i justified in my thinking, could it just be a water infection? ive allready done a water sample which has been sent off.

I would say that depends if they are gluten-free or not.

If they are gluten-free then I would say not since they would have to do a gluten challenge.

If not then why wouldn't you?

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I would say that depends if they are gluten-free or not.

If they are gluten-free then I would say not since they would have to do a gluten challenge.

If not then why wouldn't you?

thanx for replying gfp, im gluten-free but kids and hubby are not, the prob is i know celiac is in the genes and i guess im thinking maybe ive passed it on to them. my eldest son is sooo skinny and eates for wales :blink: the amount of food he eates scares me and he never puts weight on, my hubby says that hes growing and is active so he wont put any weight on and stop being paranoid.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Perhaps your husband needs to read a few posts on this board. Then MAYBE he'll turn around. Look at it this way: What is the risk of trying the gluten-free diet? What are the risks of NOT trying it?

However, thrush is a yeasty beastie AFAIK, so I'd recommend treating that from the inside, not the outside. If it's candida or anything like it then you gotta get the infection out of the intestines. I used Caprylic acid with very good results. I've read posts from others about using probiotics to boost the "good" bacteria, which seems logical as well. I found it most important to avoid all processed sugars, anything containing any form of yeast, and even limiting fruit.

And if you ask me, there is most certainly a relationship to Celiac. Just look at all the posts from members who've had the same or similar symptoms/problems. I'm sure a lot of "non-celiacs" (or at least those who don't know they have it) are unknowingly under attack by a yeast infection, but it seems to me that a compromised digestive system will be more susceptible to many things.

my eldest son is sooo skinny and eates for wales :blink: the amount of food he eates scares me and he never puts weight on, my hubby says that hes growing and is active so he wont put any weight on and stop being paranoid.

I was the same way. By second grade my lunch box wasn't large enough to hold everything. It took over half a loaf of bread for my lunch each day. A paper bag held what the box couldn't hold. I tried two lunch boxes but it was a bit much for such a tiny kid to carry around, and the places we had to put them in class was not large enough either. Of course that was wheat bread, so you might imagine what that was doing to me.

My parents didn't believe all my pains where real. And of course the doctors said there wasn't anything wrong, and that I was just faking it to get attention :o After a number of years they began to think there must be something to it, but just barely. I think once that much time went by they just got used to it all. I actually had a five year span where I remained the same exact weight! Not even a single pound increase.

Based on my own experience, get your children on the gluten-free diet NOW. Please do not put it off, as I can tell you the damage is simply not worth a "normal" pizza crust or hamburger bun. Your husband mustn't stand in the way of this. With all due respect, he's ignorant of the facts. If I could only go back and fix my childhood...

Guest cassidy

I think that you should stand up to your husband and get the kids tested. It will either put your mind at ease or confirm your suspicions. It sucks that your husband isn't being supportive. My husband hated that I went on the diet even though my bloodwork was negative. It was very frustrating to deal with him doubting me while I was trying to figure all this out and get better.

We are pregnant with our first right now. I already know that I'm going to do research on what is best for the child - delaying introducing gluten, breastfeeding longer - whatever it is I'm going to do it. I know my husband will hate watching what he feeds the baby and me doing anything that his mother doesn't think is right, but I'm going to do it anyway.

One of the biggest things I hate about being diagnosed at age 28 is all those years of being sick unneccesarily. I feel like I'm shorter than I was supposed to be, my teeth came in with enamel defects and holes and I had several surgeries I didn't need. If anyone could have figured this out when I was little it really would have improved the quality of my childhood.

Good luck and I hope you kids don't have it.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
my hubby is against getting any of the kids tested and says that im too clued in tho the whole gluten thing and am paranoid about it, am i ?

Taz,I know it's difficult if your hubby is against it-but you are right-it is in the genes-and I think as a mum you get a 'gut' feeling about these things.

After my hubby was dx and I become aware of the whole myriad of symptoms that go along with it,I noticed that some sypmtoms fitted 2 of my boys.

I'd asked my hubby's gastro if they should be tested and he thought it wasn't necessary :huh:

My G.P didn't think so either :huh:

Luckily my boys are under a paediatrician and they agreed to do the blood tests.

Guess what?

One has come back high positive(still waiting on the other)

I did think for a while I was getting a bit paranoid-but now I want to shout from the rooftops

''Told you so!!''

And afterall,where's the harm in a little blood test??

:):)

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Taz,I know it's difficult if your hubby is against it-but you are right-it is in the genes-and I think as a mum you get a 'gut' feeling about these things.

After my hubby was dx and I become aware of the whole myriad of symptoms that go along with it,I noticed that some sypmtoms fitted 2 of my boys.

I'd asked my hubby's gastro if they should be tested and he thought it wasn't necessary :huh:

My G.P didn't think so either :huh:

Luckily my boys are under a paediatrician and they agreed to do the blood tests.

Guess what?

One has come back high positive(still waiting on the other)

I did think for a while I was getting a bit paranoid-but now I want to shout from the rooftops

''Told you so!!''

And afterall,where's the harm in a little blood test??

thanx for replying nikki, i was hopeing youde reply as i know you are uk and have kids. in all fairness to hubby he is supportive of my condition but i think it has more to do with him wanting the boys to be " NORMAL" like what ever that is, our son is partly sighted and we disagree over that greatly as well because he wants him to be normal like other boys. i often wonder if theres a connection between his blindness and celac as when he was born he had a lactose intolerance but went away by the time he was 3. maybe i passed it on to him :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
thanx for replying gfp, im gluten-free but kids and hubby are not, the prob is i know celiac is in the genes and i guess im thinking maybe ive passed it on to them. my eldest son is sooo skinny and eates for wales :blink: the amount of food he eates scares me and he never puts weight on, my hubby says that hes growing and is active so he wont put any weight on and stop being paranoid.

Then in all honestly NOW is the time to do a blood test.

Either way... because if they go gluten-free later you will have to put them back on a gluten diet. Noone wants to do this but least of all a mum ...

RiceGuy Collaborator
in all fairness to hubby he is supportive of my condition but i think it has more to do with him wanting the boys to be " NORMAL" like what ever that is, our son is partly sighted and we disagree over that greatly as well because he wants him to be normal like other boys. i often wonder if theres a connection between his blindness and celac as when he was born he had a lactose intolerance but went away by the time he was 3. maybe i passed it on to him :(

Wow. The more you write about your child, the more convincing it is that he is gluten intolerant/Celiac. It sounds like your husband won't be convinced without blood tests being done, but either way I'd still try the diet since the tests often give false-negatives. I can also relate to your husband wanting him to be "normal". When I was little my father said the same thing to my mother repeatedly! He basically put his head in the sand and ignored any and all signs of anything he felt was "abnormal".

nikki-uk Enthusiast
thanx for replying nikki, i was hopeing youde reply as i know you are uk and have kids. in all fairness to hubby he is supportive of my condition but i think it has more to do with him wanting the boys to be " NORMAL" like what ever that is, our son is partly sighted and we disagree over that greatly as well because he wants him to be normal like other boys. i often wonder if theres a connection between his blindness and celac as when he was born he had a lactose intolerance but went away by the time he was 3. maybe i passed it on to him :(

I can sympathise with your hubby,as one of my boys has Downs Syndrome and although it's not the same as your boys visual problems-I do understand having a child that's 'different'.

I am a little sad that now I will have to add celiac disease to my son's list of conditions-but at least by going G.F it will give him the best chance of being healthy-but yeah,it's another thing that will set him apart from other 'normal' kids <_< .

I think my hubby feels bad that he's passed on the celiac disease gene to him-but I feel it's not the end of the world.

There are far worse inheirited genetic conditions.

I don't know if there is a link between sight problems and celiac disease-but wouldn't it be better to know than to have your son suffer with celiac disease related problems ?(as you probably have and I know my hubby did)

I sometimes wish someone would have picked up on all the little health problems he had as a child-and then maybe he would have full health now.

Just to add,both my boys have had problems with milk from birth on and off-so I think you'd be right to chase this up.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I can sympathise with your hubby,as one of my boys has Downs Syndrome and although it's not the same as your boys visual problems-I do understand having a child that's 'different'.

I am a little sad that now I will have to add celiac disease to my son's list of conditions-but at least by going G.F it will give him the best chance of being healthy-but yeah,it's another thing that will set him apart from other 'normal' kids <_< .

I think my hubby feels bad that he's passed on the celiac disease gene to him-but I feel it's not the end of the world.

There are far worse inheirited genetic conditions.

I don't know if there is a link between sight problems and celiac disease-but wouldn't it be better to know than to have your son suffer with celiac disease related problems ?(as you probably have and I know my hubby did)

I sometimes wish someone would have picked up on all the little health problems he had as a child-and then maybe he would have full health now.

Just to add,both my boys have had problems with milk from birth on and off-so I think you'd be right to chase this up.

thanx nikki, sorry for the delay in replying but my internet was off. your right about the knowing part but my hubby just says he is fine and not to rock the boat ( whatever that means). i think im gonna borrow some money from my mum and get entrelab testing done for all 3 kids. i have to know one way or the other. i feel bad that i have to go around the houses with this one but its for the best.

Archived