This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Boils

hannahsue01

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I was wondering if anyone else is suffering from boils? Does anyone know if this is related to celiac or not? Once again I have another break out of these horible things. I have done months of antibiotics that evently cleared them up but they came right back...my doc wants me to do back on antibiotics but I don't really see the point. Does anyone know how to get rid of them or what to do to ease the pain?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frenchiemama Collaborator

I suffered horribly from boils. They stopped a few weeks after going gluten free and I haven't gotten a single one since (over a year). I tried EVERYTHING to treat them before I was diagnosed and nothing worked. Nothing. I don't know what the relationship is, but there has to be some kind of a link.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I am also a sufferer of boils....... Have had the ongoing problem since my late teens, just as the celiac symptoms started kicking in.....

No miracle remedy here either......

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Have suffered from boils, as well -- since my teens. No miracle cures for me, either.

heli Newbie

No miracle, but I can recommend that you use a high quality, stabilized aloe vera product. The healing component in the aloe plant is a simple plant sugar called mannose, it binds to the cell surface and occupies the receptor site so that the bacteria cannot attach to the cell (published biochemistry research). Carrington Labs makes a pharmaceutical quality product that you can buy over the counter (health food store). Their stabilized aloe is used in a formulation to heal bed sores. I don't have anything to do with this company - I just know that they make high quality products. You'll have to do a web search to find the name of the product, I think it is called Manapol, but I'm not sure.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I posted this question a little while ago for my son.(13 yrs old)

Every little pimple turns into a raging boil-and takes ages to heal as the hole tends to be big.

He's had to have numerous courses of antibiotics and are really painful for him.

His recent coeliac blood test came back positive (and so I'm sure it's linked)but also apparently he has low neutrophils-(Part of your white cells).

Apparently your neutrophils are your first line of defense on your skin,and a low count is common in someone with auto-immune problems.

As others have said,-no magic cure,but someone suggested to me on this site that eating garlic might help,and the aloe vera tip is a good one.

I've actually grown an aloe vera plant at home and found that breaking a bit off and rubbing the juice on my sons last boil seemed to help it heal quicker (at least he managed to get away without having antibiotics this time!)

:)

Have you guys had your noses swabbed? My doctor did this to me, but it was neg. Some people carry staph in their noses and that is why they continually get boils. You have to coat the inside of your nostrils for 30 days with some kind of antibiotic ointment. If you haven't had the swab done, you really should.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
Have you guys had your noses swabbed? My doctor did this to me, but it was neg. Some people carry staph in their noses and that is why they continually get boils. You have to coat the inside of your nostrils for 30 days with some kind of antibiotic ointment. If you haven't had the swab done, you really should.

That sounds wierd but interesting. I should mention it to my doctor. But then again maybe she will say I'm nuts again since she hasn't mentioned this. Maybe if I find a new doctor they will try this. Thanks.

gfp Enthusiast
I posted this question a little while ago for my son.(13 yrs old)

Every little pimple turns into a raging boil-and takes ages to heal as the hole tends to be big.

He's had to have numerous courses of antibiotics and are really painful for him.

His recent coeliac blood test came back positive (and so I'm sure it's linked)but also apparently he has low neutrophils-(Part of your white cells).

Apparently your neutrophils are your first line of defense on your skin,and a low count is common in someone with auto-immune problems.

As others have said,-no magic cure,but someone suggested to me on this site that eating garlic might help,and the aloe vera tip is a good one.

I've actually grown an aloe vera plant at home and found that breaking a bit off and rubbing the juice on my sons last boil seemed to help it heal quicker (at least he managed to get away without having antibiotics this time!)

:)

I don't know but do the antibiotics actually do anything....????

Last time I had a huge one my Dr wanted me on antibiotics so I asked why and she said it was to prevent infection not to cure the boil. Since I don't get infections I didn't bother

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Last time I had a huge one my Dr wanted me on antibiotics so I asked why and she said it was to prevent infection not to cure the boil. Since I don't get infections I didn't bother

I have had reacurent boils for over two years now. I was on Antibiotics for over three months straight taking them 4x a day. Eventually they seemed to have stopped the current infection but I soon had another outbreak. I don't get one or two at I time. It starts with a few and before I know it I have fifteen or twenty of them under one armpit (I get them under both). Boils as you know hurt regardless but being were mine acure it makes it hard to function being you use your arms for most everything. I have decided not to continue with antibiotics because I would be on them everyday of my life and they don't seem to make much of a difference in the end. So over all I would say they don't work for me.

rinne Apprentice

In my thirties I tended to get boils and found that if at the the very first sign, the slightest redness and swelling, I took at lot of garlic oil capsules they would recede and go away. I'm thinking I might have taken 6 or 8 a day but I don't remember.

gfp Enthusiast
I have had reacurent boils for over two years now. I was on Antibiotics for over three months straight taking them 4x a day. Eventually they seemed to have stopped the current infection but I soon had another outbreak. I don't get one or two at I time. It starts with a few and before I know it I have fifteen or twenty of them under one armpit (I get them under both). Boils as you know hurt regardless but being were mine acure it makes it hard to function being you use your arms for most everything. I have decided not to continue with antibiotics because I would be on them everyday of my life and they don't seem to make much of a difference in the end. So over all I would say they don't work for me.

yeah both my mom and myself have always had these boils, they superficially look like zits but they are not.. they usually occupy several follicles not a single one...

I have a feeling they are related to celiac... maybe the body expelling toxins?? since my mom and I get them but my brother non celaic doesn't.

Both mine and my mothers have really cleared up since going gluten-free... my worst ones tend be along the spine and I remember lister posting about them... but now when I get one it tends to be huge... they also seem related to glutening incidents but weeks later.

Your armpits are very close to the lymphatic system. (perhaps something to consider looking for answers)

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I don't think they do-that's why I've been using aloe vera on my son.

I don't know if that works either,but it's got to be better than keep putting him on antibiotics.

Might try the garlic capsules with him.

Just out of curiousity, when you guys get boils, how big are they? Mine were always between the size of a nickel and the size of a quarter, once I had one that was bigger than two quarters together (I thought I was going to DIE). Is that the normal size? I always had the impression that they were smaller, but my doc said they were boils.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
Just out of curiousity, when you guys get boils, how big are they? Mine were always between the size of a nickel and the size of a quarter, once I had one that was bigger than two quarters together (I thought I was going to DIE). Is that the normal size? I always had the impression that they were smaller, but my doc said they were boils.

Mine are from pimple size up to half dollor size of the puss stuff and much bigger if you include the swollen red part. I have gotton at least 4 or 5 Tablespoons worth of puss stuff out of them but I don't know where it all comes from. They are very hard and hot. Don't know exactly how to describe it but I get what feels like a wierd chill where my ribs are right below my armpit were I usually get boils. I actually gross out my husband.....hehe.

Ok, ew. Yeah, that sounds just like what mine were always like too. I always got them under my arms the most also; but also on my eyebrow, nose, ear, stomach, ankles, back of knees, thighs, etc. *shudder* Man, that was an awful time in my life. I haven't thought of it in a long time, but jeeze.

munchkinette Collaborator

I'm not sure what qualifies as a boil, but I started getting bad (painful) acne a few years ago. (About the same time I started having other problems.) I got some general meds from the dermatologist and that definitely helped, but the diet helped more. I don't get the really deep, painful acne anymore. I get a lot less acne on my body. I definitely break out again after getting glutened.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I just went through this. Same size and everything. I eventually went to the doctor, she said it was a staph infection and gave me something to go in my nose. GROSS!!! Anyway, I threw away all of my make up sponges and haven't had a problem since. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Archived