This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Once You Know What Food Problems You Have...

FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Starting this post, in hopes that we can all 'chip in' 3 ideas -

...mainly for those who already have done the blood tests or elimination diets for food intolerances, and gotten those foods out of our systems for a good amount of time, but still need help 'feeing really good physically' ...I know this thread will benefit 'newbies,' too, and they are also more than welcome to chime in...

SO....please feel free to brainstorm any and all ideas about gut health, and also about attaining/maintaining good health, in general... try to give only 3 ideas, to allow others to brainstorm, too...if all of your ideas aren't on here within a few days...come back and post more :-) THANKS

Oh...one more 'constraint' ...PLEASE, do not include non-proven alternative methods that could be dangeorus to someone's health...I would like this thread to be all about suppplements and behaviors that are PROVEN SAFE:

THANKS! Gina

I'll start:

1) Digestive enzymes

2) Probiotics

3) Regular waking times - to get one's circadian rhythms re-set

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

covsooze Enthusiast

Great idea! I'm going to bed now as I'm rather tired (it's evening in the UK) so will chip in tomorrow. But just wanted to ask you Gina, when did you add in digestive enzymes? After you had worked out all your food issues or before then? Just wondering as I've tried them before and they've made my stomach feel worse.

daffadilly Apprentice

Take B12

Exercise

get a minimum of 8 hours sleep a night

daffadilly Apprentice

tailz, it is sorta like having jet lag without going anywhere. I am not up on all the latest, but one of the main things it that you need to expose your body in the mornings to sunshine. Somehow that is supposed to reset the pineal gland that is in the center of your brain. I did a term paper on that once, but have forgotten most of it... That was a lot of years ago :blink:

oh, one other biggie is that you are supposed to sleep in total darkness, no lights what so ever.

The light affects your sleep cycle, just like the absence of light causes SAD, which is Seasonal Affective Disorder, not SAD as in Standard American Diet - which is used on the celiac boards B)

One reason I did that term paper is that I am very sensitive to light.

oops, sorry, I guess I am messing up the helpful hints thread :P

elisabet Contributor

wonderful idea,

the 3 most important things that gave good resut for my son,

probiotics

B12

limiting sugar

CarlaB Enthusiast

cut down/eliminate processed food

reduce stress

avoid caffeine (even decaf coffee), sugar, and alcohol

It takes time to rebuild health and heal, so we might need to be extreme with our "no bad food" rule just like we are extreme with our "no gluten" rule ... at least till we get better ... then a treat once in a while will be nice. I think these multiple sensitivities that many of us experience is just our body's way of telling us to be simpler and healthier in our choices for a while.

marciab Enthusiast

1 - Add healthy fats into the diet. EVOO, grapeseed, flax, borage, etc in natural form.

2 - Keep bowels moving by eating additional fruits and veggies.

3 - Eliminate processed foods. As much as possible anyway. :P

Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

1. Omega 3's (flax oil, cod liver oil and eat lots of fish)

2. Probiotics - if you have a big problem with yeast take something to get rid of it first

3. Regular, light exercise (think walking), rather than strenuous workouts

jerseyangel Proficient

Avoid all processed foods

Make sure every meal/snack is balanced

Drink spring water

:D

up-late Rookie

Melatonin tablets help with getting back into a sleep routine, a lot of people use them to help with jet lag but they help me get back into sync after working nights, getting out in the sun first thing helps too but it takes longer. Try to get to bed before it gets too late in the evening, ear plugs and dark windows will help you stay asleep when the sun comes up but don't try to go to sleep after dawn if you've been up all night unless you can get the room pitch black, quiet and the right temperature, you'll toss and turn.

Does anyone know about juicing? I've heard mixed opinions, one says it's a good way to get nutrients and another says your better off eating them whole to get the fibre. My old flatmate was an athlete and he used to juice his but insted of a juicer he used a blender so the whole thing was in there and just added some liquid to get the right consistancy at the same time he added his supliments to it. He said he would go blue in the face trying to eat enough fruit and veg so he would drink them instead.

myserenityprayer Explorer
wonderful idea,

the 3 most important things that gave good resut for my son,

probiotics

B12

limiting sugar

I keep hearing about probiotics. Why is it so good for Celiacs?

graindamage Rookie

I tried everything, even after eliminating gluten and corn I still got sick. Finally, I started taking some probiotics and after two weeks of taking them, I no longer get sick at all. Specifically, I take Natren's:

Megadophilus - Dairy Free

Bifido Factor - Dairy-Free

Digesta-Lac - Dairy-Free

Archived