This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flavored Yogurt

soul04

soul04 Apprentice

What is in flavored yogurt that isn't gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Connie R-E Apprentice

...the flavoring! ;)

6) According to 21 C.F.R. S 101,22(a)(3): "[t]he terns 'natural flavor' or 'natural flavoring' means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof. Whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional."

https://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_...-13104518999.5d

Of course, depending on the brand, it could be caramel coloring, modified food starch, colorings, ect...

Look at the above link and read the footnotes at the bottom of the page--I really learned a lot from these footnotes!!

Connie

Guest shar4

Wonderful!!! Here I have been eating yogurt and patting myself on the back thinking that I was ok, because it has cornstarch in it rather than food starch, and it never ocurred to me to be suspicious of the flavoring. Will I never learn??!!

Ironically, though, I don't seem to be getting any reaction from the yogurt at all, but I will stop using it, and start to get the plain, and flavor it myself. (This lifestyle really does make me appreciate allllll those conveneince foods that I can no longer eat ;) )

Thanks for the information.

Sharon

Guest Libbyk

there are some truly wonderful yogurts out there, though you may have to look fruther than a "regular" grocery store, depending on how froward thinking it is. My absolute favorite is Brown Cow brand. their maple flavor is good as ice cream. I think Stoneyfield Farm is also good.

ROYAL BLUE Apprentice

I live in Canada and almost all of the Yogurts I have called about are gluten-free even the flavoured ones. Yoplait is gluten-free except for the cereal one, and Dannon is also gluten-free, and Presidents Choice is gluten-free.

Tracy

gf4life Enthusiast

Not all things with natural flavoring in them have gluten in them. You need to call the company to find out exactly what the natural flavoring is. if they can't answer the question adequately I would avoid that product. I believe Yoplait is gluten-free, except they can't guarantee the vanilla flavoring is not made with grain alcohol based vanilla, so that one might want to be avoided.

Mariann

kejohe Apprentice

Last I heard Cascade brand was also gluten-free, but my son eats the dannon and the yoplait without any issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
MissDonna Newbie

I have been in contact with Yoplait personally and they tell me all their yogurt is Gluten Free as well as kosher. Dannon, on the hand, does not certify that their yogurt is gluten free. Apparently their modified food starch may be contain wheat. :(

smack Rookie
I live in Canada and almost all of the Yogurts I have called about are gluten-free even the flavoured ones. Yoplait is gluten-free except for the cereal one, and Dannon is also gluten-free, and Presidents Choice is gluten-free.

Tracy

Royal Blue,

I'm also in Canada, which yogurts have you identified as containing gluten? Also have you been to

Open Original Shared Link

LisaS Newbie

Dannon in the US may not be gluten free. This is from their web site:

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, oats, rye and barley. DANNON yogurt products are not formulated to contain gluten, but they cannot be considered gluten free. This is because the natural flavor system used might have ingredients added to stablilize the flavor. These ingredients can be derived from gluten sources. Since there is a current lack of consensus on individual sensitivity levels to gluten and there are no accurate tests to detect the presence and amount of gluten, DANNON'S products cannot be classified as "gluten free".

I could not find a date on the web site for when it was last updated, but since DANNON is a large company I would assume that the web site is up-to-date.

ROYAL BLUE Apprentice

Smack; Actually, I have not found any yogurt yet that is not gluten-free. But in the town I live in, our one grocery store only sells Yoplait, Dannon and Presidents Choice.

As for Penny.ca, I have looked at the sight but find it does not help me alot because the dates are so old and possibly unreliable. I also sent them an update on some items listed as gluten-free (and no longer are) they still have not changed their web page.

Bye Tracy

smack Rookie

Wow, thatnks for the heads up about penny.ca, I didn't know they weren't updating products that were no longer gluten-free! I think I'll also start doing the same, buying natural yogurt and flavouring it with jam. My mom used to do that, it's must be better than artifical flavours and sweetners anyway!

Have a great weekend! :D

Guest aramgard

I buy plain yogurt and add frozen blueberries, strawberries, etc. to it. Sometimes I add honey, put it in the blender and make a smoothie. It's a great lunch, quick and nutritious. Shirley

• 1 year later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Danone cannot guarantee all of their products to be gluten free

Open Original Shared Link

Is there any gluten in Danone yogurt?

Activia yogurt (all flavors) and Silhouette Delicioso yogurt (all flavors) contain or may contain gluten. However, the manufacturing process for all our other product lines guarantees them to be entirely gluten free: Danone Creamy, Danone Classic Fruit, Silhouette 0%, Silhouette Mousse, Silhouette Smoothie, La Crme of our Yogurts, La Cr?me of our Yogurts Mousse and Petit Danone.

Note also that the list of ingredients on Activia and Silhouette Delicioso packaging mentions that these products contain gluten.

What yogurt products are gluten-free? I'm trying to find out for my grandmother who just got diagnosed. I'm lactose intolerant so I wouldn't now.

debbie-doodles Contributor

I buy yoplait and blue bunny yogurt for my daughter. I have called the companies and they both are gluten-free.-- at least the flavors i called on which are strawberry, raspberry and peach.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Blue Bunny and Yoplait are brands like Kraft and will not hide gluten on labels so all you have to do is check the label for wheat,rye,barley,oats. :D

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully she will like those products! :)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yep--just read labels on Yoplait--gluten won't be hidden under natural flavors and the like. I believe that all are gluten-free, unless there's some special kind with granola in the top (so, all the whips, regular, custard style, etc., etc.)

I think Yoplait is one of the only flavored yogurts that can be verified as gluten-free.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oops...I reached the end of page one, wanted to reply about Yoplait, and didn't even see that there's a pg. 2......... <_< that's the 2nd time I've done that.

Sorry for duplicating... ;)

scoutfinch Newbie

I saw a list that said that the Lucerne yogurts are gluten-free. Does anyone know anything different about them?

scoutfinch Newbie

I just talked to Kim at the consumer relations department for Safeway, and she told me that all Lucerne yogurts are gluten-free. The modified food starch is made from corn.

Does anyone else eat the Lucerne brand? You get 8 oz per container vs. 6 oz for Dannon or Yoplait, and it's cheaper!

scout

cdford Contributor

I just reverified with Kroger that their yogurts are gluten-free. We like the strawberry banana or the strawberry vanilla. At 39 cents per container, they are a great quick snack.

Guest Eloisa

I called Light fat free and they told me that the modified food starch was derived from corn so if Grandma has a problem with corn don't let her have.

Guest Eloisa

Sorry I forgot to type in Yoplait.

macman Rookie

Anderson Erickson yogurts are gluten-free- I emailed the company

Archived