This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are These Foods Okay To Eat?

Raditch

Raditch Newbie

My Mother was diagnosed with this disease a few weeks ago, and I'm trying

to help her determine what she can and can't eat. She love's to eat popcorn

but is not sure if it is allowed on the diet. Is microwavable popcorn okay?

Also, is shrimp okay, the ready-to-eat store bought variety?

Some of the books that I've looked at concerning the diet are rather

confusing and seem to contradict one another. Can you recommend

a really good book that covers the subject completely?

Thanks in advance, and forgive my ignorance --- I'm kind of caught

in the middle of this thing and still have a lot to learn.

Best.

Rad

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

j9n Contributor

There is another post here (maybe someone can help me find it?) that has a list of gluten free mainstream foods in a pdf file. I downloaded it to my palm and take it with me when I go shopping. It has helped alot.

Guest jhmom

Hi Rad, welcome to the board. It is very sweet that you are trying to help her cope and learn with this diet!

Here are a couple of gluten-free food list, I hope they are helpful to you:

gluten-free Food List

Open Original Shared Link - *you must have Adobe in order to view this link*

Here is a link that list all the safe and forbidden foods and ingredients:

https://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_...-22104125868.dc

To answer your specific questions, yes most pop corn is ok (Pop Secret), fresh or frozen shrimp is ok, just check the seasonings you may add to it and the cocktail sauce.

crc0622 Apprentice

As for the shrimp seasonings -- I checked and Old Bay is okay (made by McCormicks) and of course you can easily make homemade cocktail sauce with Heinz ketchup, Lea & Perrins worchestershire, lemon juice (fresh preferably - or ReaLemon is gluten-free) and tons of horseradish if you're game for that! In my opinion, the more the better! :) We never buy sauce.

flagbabyds Collaborator

Oriville Redenbacjers popcord is gluten-free

Raditch Newbie

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT INFO -- WE ARE PUTTING IT TO GOOD USE !!!!

Best Regards,

RAD

Thomas Apprentice

Orvilled Redenbacher Ultimate theatre style with bar-b-q flavour is not gluten free... But all the other flavours are.-doublecheck with the company

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Donna F Enthusiast

All Act II popcorn is also gluten-free. don't know if you have it in your area though.

The Celiac Sprue Association's gluten free product listing is another good reference for the names of manufacturers of gluten-free products. It lists the popcorns and all sorts of things from A-Z.

-donna

Archived