Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Why Am I Glowing Under Black Light

14 posts in this topic

I was just playing with a black light in my studio. I was looking at my hands and I had spots on the sides of my fingers that were softly glowing white, I could deal with that. But when I turned over my hand I have a spot in the middle of my palm that looks like it has a light bulb inside it. It is like glowing a yellow bulb. I have a couple of smaller yellow spots also. I washed my hands real, real good but they are still there. There is nothing visible in regular light. Anyone know what this is. I'm glad the disco era is over. :)

Ads by Google:

That is really odd, also odd is that last week I was looking at black lights which I've never done before and thinking about buying one although I couldn't think why so I didn't. I may just have to investigate this.

Doesn't DH fluoresce under black light?

Doesn't DH fluoresce under black light?

I don't know. I couldn't find anything on a google search other than referral to psoriasis but that was cells in a lab not the patient.

Found this--don't know if it sheds any light (sorry about the pun):

How accurate is the skin biopsy?

The skin biopsy is a specialized test using immunofluorescence. A patient needs to find a doctor and laboratory experienced in the procedure. If the correct immunogloblin is found in the skin then it is almost 100% certain that a patient has DH, whereas if it is not found, the diagnosis is not certain.

It's normal, it just means the light is strong/your too close to it. The reason your palms are lighter is because they don't tan, you'll notice areas of your body that don't see sun will "glow" too. If you look in the mirror you'll also see that your teeth and the whites of your eyes glow green. Also some things like bleach and the chemicals in white paper glow bright so if you have been handling them they will "stain" your hands for a few days and show up under the black light. Incidently some bird feathers glow under the uv and birds use this for mating, they see in the uv spectrum so only put their feathers under the light not the bird, it will damage their eyes.

It's normal, it just means the light is strong/your too close to it. The reason your palms are lighter is because they don't tan, you'll notice areas of your body that don't see sun will "glow" too. If you look in the mirror you'll also see that your teeth and the whites of your eyes glow green. Also some things like bleach and the chemicals in white paper glow bright so if you have been handling them they will "stain" your hands for a few days and show up under the black light. Incidently some bird feathers glow under the uv and birds use this for mating, they see in the uv spectrum so only put their feathers under the light not the bird, it will damage their eyes.

This I am aware of. I grew up in the era of the black light so I am familiar with that type of glow. This is a yellow spot in the center of my palm. It is about half the size of a dime. And it is bright yellow almost like a flourescent paint. It is nothing like the whites of my fingernails or untanned skin, that I know is normal.

what about vitaligo? it is a skin pigment disorder. michael jackson actually has it. i have it also but not nearly as bad as most. interestingly when i was in 4th grade i woke up one morning in florida on a family vacation and saw weird spots on my knuckles, in between my fingers, my knees, and around my lips. i couldn't notice it until i had tanned. when my mom took me to a dermetologist he put me under a black light and saw a ton more that we couldn't see. this was actually the reason why they tested me for hypothoridism and was later diagnosed. the dermetologist suggested the test, not even my regualr doctor. i believe vitaligo is an autoimmune disorder and strongly linked to thyroidism. after years of taking synthroid my pigment has started to come back. its only really visable now if i get tan. maybe thats what it is? with celiac i always question every symtom that can be related to another autoimmune disease. once you have one, you're bound to have another. it might be worth doing some research about it.

i went to an esthetician ( skin care) convention with my salon a few years back and one of the booths was showing how you can see sun damage and other skin problems (like acne, scars, etc.) with a black light.

but i dont know how you would have sun damage on your palm.

very strange..

This might be a sily question, but you sure it not just ink from a stamp or package or the like? That sound liek the color they use at least...and your hand would be the most likely place for it...

Yea the sun damage and even the damage from my arthritis seemed to show up. It was really strange to me that the most purple joints I had were the ones with the most damage from the arthritis. And boy do my DH scars show up. As for the weird spot that was glowing I think tonight when it gets dark I am going to turn out the lights, the lights were on when I noticed the spot, and go over my studio with the light and see if anything else glows the same yellow. Although it looked like the glow was under the skin maybe there is some kind of residue on some of the stained glass that I picked up. It doesn't seem to be washing off but perhaps it will 'wear away'. I won't lose sleep over it but I may wear gloves when I handle anything that 'glows' tonight.

Have you done laundry lately? I know that laundry detergent will glow under a blacklight. Maybe you smeared some on you hands?

Apearently she is realy from Pluto and in a gluten induced brainfog she forgot....

Apearently she is realy from Pluto and in a gluten induced brainfog she forgot....

:D:D:D Actually a little star near Orion's Belt. It turned out to be some kind of residue on some glass sheets that I had been sorting and racking. I'll wear gloves next time. I have no idea what it was but I discovered lots of my rock collection look real neat under black light during my search.