This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Am I Glowing Under Black Light

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was just playing with a black light in my studio. I was looking at my hands and I had spots on the sides of my fingers that were softly glowing white, I could deal with that. But when I turned over my hand I have a spot in the middle of my palm that looks like it has a light bulb inside it. It is like glowing a yellow bulb. I have a couple of smaller yellow spots also. I washed my hands real, real good but they are still there. There is nothing visible in regular light. Anyone know what this is. I'm glad the disco era is over. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

That is really odd, also odd is that last week I was looking at black lights which I've never done before and thinking about buying one although I couldn't think why so I didn't. I may just have to investigate this.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Doesn't DH fluoresce under black light?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Doesn't DH fluoresce under black light?

I don't know. I couldn't find anything on a google search other than referral to psoriasis but that was cells in a lab not the patient.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Found this--don't know if it sheds any light (sorry about the pun):

How accurate is the skin biopsy?

The skin biopsy is a specialized test using immunofluorescence. A patient needs to find a doctor and laboratory experienced in the procedure. If the correct immunogloblin is found in the skin then it is almost 100% certain that a patient has DH, whereas if it is not found, the diagnosis is not certain.

up-late Rookie

It's normal, it just means the light is strong/your too close to it. The reason your palms are lighter is because they don't tan, you'll notice areas of your body that don't see sun will "glow" too. If you look in the mirror you'll also see that your teeth and the whites of your eyes glow green. Also some things like bleach and the chemicals in white paper glow bright so if you have been handling them they will "stain" your hands for a few days and show up under the black light. Incidently some bird feathers glow under the uv and birds use this for mating, they see in the uv spectrum so only put their feathers under the light not the bird, it will damage their eyes.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
It's normal, it just means the light is strong/your too close to it. The reason your palms are lighter is because they don't tan, you'll notice areas of your body that don't see sun will "glow" too. If you look in the mirror you'll also see that your teeth and the whites of your eyes glow green. Also some things like bleach and the chemicals in white paper glow bright so if you have been handling them they will "stain" your hands for a few days and show up under the black light. Incidently some bird feathers glow under the uv and birds use this for mating, they see in the uv spectrum so only put their feathers under the light not the bird, it will damage their eyes.

This I am aware of. I grew up in the era of the black light so I am familiar with that type of glow. This is a yellow spot in the center of my palm. It is about half the size of a dime. And it is bright yellow almost like a flourescent paint. It is nothing like the whites of my fingernails or untanned skin, that I know is normal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

myserenityprayer Explorer

what about vitaligo? it is a skin pigment disorder. michael jackson actually has it. i have it also but not nearly as bad as most. interestingly when i was in 4th grade i woke up one morning in florida on a family vacation and saw weird spots on my knuckles, in between my fingers, my knees, and around my lips. i couldn't notice it until i had tanned. when my mom took me to a dermetologist he put me under a black light and saw a ton more that we couldn't see. this was actually the reason why they tested me for hypothoridism and was later diagnosed. the dermetologist suggested the test, not even my regualr doctor. i believe vitaligo is an autoimmune disorder and strongly linked to thyroidism. after years of taking synthroid my pigment has started to come back. its only really visable now if i get tan. maybe thats what it is? with celiac i always question every symtom that can be related to another autoimmune disease. once you have one, you're bound to have another. it might be worth doing some research about it.

pinkpei77 Contributor

i went to an esthetician ( skin care) convention with my salon a few years back and one of the booths was showing how you can see sun damage and other skin problems (like acne, scars, etc.) with a black light.

but i dont know how you would have sun damage on your palm.

very strange..

VydorScope Proficient

This might be a sily question, but you sure it not just ink from a stamp or package or the like? That sound liek the color they use at least...and your hand would be the most likely place for it...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yea the sun damage and even the damage from my arthritis seemed to show up. It was really strange to me that the most purple joints I had were the ones with the most damage from the arthritis. And boy do my DH scars show up. As for the weird spot that was glowing I think tonight when it gets dark I am going to turn out the lights, the lights were on when I noticed the spot, and go over my studio with the light and see if anything else glows the same yellow. Although it looked like the glow was under the skin maybe there is some kind of residue on some of the stained glass that I picked up. It doesn't seem to be washing off but perhaps it will 'wear away'. I won't lose sleep over it but I may wear gloves when I handle anything that 'glows' tonight.

TriticusToxicum Explorer

Have you done laundry lately? I know that laundry detergent will glow under a blacklight. Maybe you smeared some on you hands?

VydorScope Proficient

Apearently she is realy from Pluto and in a gluten induced brainfog she forgot....

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Apearently she is realy from Pluto and in a gluten induced brainfog she forgot....

:D:D:D Actually a little star near Orion's Belt. It turned out to be some kind of residue on some glass sheets that I had been sorting and racking. I'll wear gloves next time. I have no idea what it was but I discovered lots of my rock collection look real neat under black light during my search.

• 11 years later...
Jasonr Newbie
On 04/09/2006 at 8:12 AM, ravenwoodglass said:

I have theas spots on the back of my hands

This I am aware of. I grew up in the era of the black light so I am familiar with that type of glow. This is a yellow spot in the center of my palm. It is about half the size of a dime. And it is bright yellow almost like a flourescent paint. It is nothing like the whites of my fingernails or untanned skin, that I know is normal.

• 2 years later...
Jen88 Newbie

Did you figure it out? I too have a random yellow spot in between my index and middle finger. Need answers haha