3 replies to this topic

#1 crc0622

crc0622

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:57 AM

I am going to Ireland in February and am going to be very sad if I can't have fish and chips. . . Since Celiac is so commonly diagnosed and understood there, does anyone know if the restaurants are gluten-free-friendly? I am mainly concerned because we really enjoy the smaller towns and that's where I'd be most worried about being acommodated.
Anyone from Ireland out there? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Sibewill_*

Guest_Sibewill_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:18 AM

I've been to Ireland a few times in the last couple of years. First, as undiagnosed (boy was it more fun that way, except the killer Guinness-gluten hangovers!), then twice after I was dx'd. We mainly travel in County Cork and I can tell you it's kind of a duck-shoot. I never came across a formal menu with gluten free options and some of the larger restaraunts had fairly apathetic help. However, if you stick to smaller establishments, they generally show great concern and will tailor meals to you. It does help that it's more commonly known there. Since you like smaller towns, if you end up in Fermoy, Cork... definitely go to "La Bigoudenne", McCurtain St. Even though it is French food in Ireland(?), the Chef is french and one of the nicest people and best chefs I've met. Plus then, you would be very close to the Michelstown caves if you have not been there yet.
Also, Pringles (most varieties) are gluten free there too... at least to European standards. They say its been removed to a legal, miniscule amount. You'll see it written really small in the ingredients. I always load up on the onion flavored pringles.
Enjoy your trip.

#3 crc0622

crc0622

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:28 AM

Thanks for the info. I have been once before and just fell in love with the country. I guess I'll follow the "if in doubt, don't" rule and try to stay healthy while there. Don't want to spend my trip in the bathroom! I do like my occasional Harp but I will stick to hot whiskey and clove or "irish" coffee! :)

#4 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

i was just in ireland for a month. it's like a celiac paradise (or coeliac as they spell it). every bar has cider on tap, every restaurant i went to (in dublin, belfast, cork, kilarney) was able to help me. instead of just the usual plain piece of meat and a potato, i was getting soups, sauces, appetizers, bread, etc. in dublin there's a place called fitzers (in temple bar) that actually has suitable/adaptable for coeliacs on their menus and a smaller place that has coeliac/vegan/etc. food all labeled on their menu, i think it was called cornucopia and it's on wicklow street by trinity college

in the stores, a lot of foods are labeled "suitable for coeliacs" which makes shopping easier.

in dublin there's a coeliac society (dublin 7, north brunswick st, carmichael house) they can give you a list of restaurants all over the republic of ireland (but it didn't include northern ireland) that are gluten free, but i actually only ended up going to 1 on the list as any restaurant i walked into was able to help me.

hope this helps!
gXf since november 1998

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: