- - - - -

Ragu?

• Please log in to reply

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

I'm making the kids spagetti and I was wondering if anyone knows about ragu spag. sauce? It looks okay but the whole natural flavor thing has me wondering....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gfp

gfp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

I'm making the kids spagetti and I was wondering if anyone knows about ragu spag. sauce? It looks okay but the whole natural flavor thing has me wondering....

Honestly why take the risk when you can make one from scratch while the pasta cooks? I mean its probably OK but if you used tinnned tomatoes you can make a pasta sauce in the same time....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#3 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

Honestly why take the risk when you can make one from scratch while the pasta cooks? I mean its probably OK but if you used tinnned tomatoes you can make a pasta sauce in the same time....

Got a good recipe??
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

#4 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

Got a good recipe??

Yep sure

for a classic quick bolognaise ....
Start off and chop onions and start frying (1/2 onion per person is about right if you are adding meat, if its a neapolitan more onion and no meat)

Add a teaspoon to table spoon of mixed herbs and when onions softens and some salt and 1/2-1 clove garlic per person sliced thin or crushed (I use the flat of a knife to crush .. pull off the skin then chop having just cut off ends ..really quick way faster than a garlic press! ) salt to taste...
Then meat if making bolgnaise then add tomato puree once meat starts browning (table spoon per person is fine)
stir it in then add 1 tin tomatoes per 2 people ... a gluten-free beef stock cube pre dissilved in cup of boiling water and about another cup of water per person ....

When its nearly ready add some corn starch to a cup and slwly make to a paste with water... then add enough water to make a decent amount of sauce and stir in... (just make up a lof of corn starch its cheap... and add enough .... so when its back on the boil its the right consistency)

leave to stand while you drain the pasta (timings should be about right) and then add grated pamesan.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

Back to the original question, Ragu is a Unilever brand, and will clearly disclose any gluten in the ingredients using one of the words wheat, rye, barley or oats. If you don't see one of these words, then it does not contain gluten. Enjoy!
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

I've used several flavors of Ragu, and have not had a problem. Like Peter said, just read the label to be sure that the one you have is ok.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

I've used several flavors of Ragu, and have not had a problem. Like Peter said, just read the label to be sure that the one you have is ok.

I have also used Ragu and also Newman's Own with no problems. I take every opportunity to use a mainstream brand when I can.

Tom

#8 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

I have also used Ragu and also Newman's Own with no problems. I take every opportunity to use a mainstream brand when I can.

Tom

I eat Ragu all the time. You're good.

And like Tom, I try and use a mainstream brand wherever possible. I spend enough money on the specialty items like gluten free bagels, pasta, ect.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#9 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

Thanks to all :D I do like the tinkyada pasta the best I won't buy another I don't care if it costs more, ya know?

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

I have never noticed a problem with Ragu Sauce.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#11 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

Yep sure

for a classic quick bolognaise ....
Start off and chop onions and start frying (1/2 onion per person is about right if you are adding meat, if its a neapolitan more onion and no meat)

Add a teaspoon to table spoon of mixed herbs and when onions softens and some salt and 1/2-1 clove garlic per person sliced thin or crushed (I use the flat of a knife to crush .. pull off the skin then chop having just cut off ends ..really quick way faster than a garlic press! ) salt to taste...
Then meat if making bolgnaise then add tomato puree once meat starts browning (table spoon per person is fine)
stir it in then add 1 tin tomatoes per 2 people ... a gluten-free beef stock cube pre dissilved in cup of boiling water and about another cup of water per person ....

When its nearly ready add some corn starch to a cup and slwly make to a paste with water... then add enough water to make a decent amount of sauce and stir in... (just make up a lof of corn starch its cheap... and add enough .... so when its back on the boil its the right consistency)

leave to stand while you drain the pasta (timings should be about right) and then add grated pamesan.

Thanks! .. What's bolgnaise??
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

#12 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:54 AM

Thanks! .. What's bolgnaise??

Sorry BOLOGNESE !

or do you really not know? :ph34r:

#13 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:42 AM

Sorry BOLOGNESE !

or do you really not know? :ph34r:

The name is never used here. "Spaghetti sauce" is a very specific type of tomato-based sauce with only very minor variations. It comes canned or bottled. It is very tomatoey, and a large amount of sauce goes on the pasta.

For most people this is the only way they ever have eaten spaghetti.
Nothing

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:21 AM

The name is never used here. "Spaghetti sauce" is a very specific type of tomato-based sauce with only very minor variations. It comes canned or bottled. It is very tomatoey, and a large amount of sauce goes on the pasta.

For most people this is the only way they ever have eaten spaghetti.

Oh the shame of it, there is so much more to pasta sauce than what we usually think of here in the US.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:01 AM

I make my own from scratch now too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: