36 replies to this topic

#1 myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

I was at the store today picking up canned tuna, which I would naturally think to be safe. Bumblebee solid white tuna in water has "vegetable broth" lised as one of the ingredients. Does anyone know which if any canned tuna are safe to eat? What about mayo?
marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006
soy free since september 9, 2006
positive blood test august 2, 2006
positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade
diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school
"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

I just buy Clover Leaf tuna in water/salt. For mayonnaise, Kraft will clearly indicate gluten.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 hannahsue01

hannahsue01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:30 PM

Good question...I have starkist tuna in water....mine says tuna, water, salt, and veg broth (soy beans).
Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

#4 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

Whole Foods and Clover Leaf are what we have here.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:24 AM

I was at the store today picking up canned tuna, which I would naturally think to be safe. Bumblebee solid white tuna in water has "vegetable broth" lised as one of the ingredients. Does anyone know which if any canned tuna are safe to eat? What about mayo?

I have eaten Bumble Bee and Starkist with no problems but if I were you I would call them to make sure all varieties are safe.

Tom

#6 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:01 AM

"vegetable broth" can also mean MSG - if that's an issue with you.

To avoid potential problems I only eat tuna that has nothing else added except salt and water.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:18 AM

All those canned tunas with "broth" are gluten-free. The vegetable broth is from just what it says -- vegetables. In fact, if you go to the website for BB, Star Kist, Chicken of the Sea, and other major brands they will tell you they are gluten-free. In fact, it's always a good idea to check websites. The only tuna I've ever found with gluten is one or two of those flavored foil packets.

I've yet to find a mayo that has gluten, but I know for certain that Hellman's, Best, Kraft and Kroger are gluten-free.

richard

#8 anneleemarie

anneleemarie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

I ate some store brand tuna and got very sick to my stomach - how can I know for certain if the tuna is gluten free. What exact name brands only have water and salt in them. I'm trying hard but seem to eat something that is contaminated with wheat at least once a week - my stomach seems to be getting more atuned or sensitive the more I am on this diet.

#9 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

As Richard remarked earlier, I have not seen a Tuna or Mayo that has contained gluten...you may have other food intolerances or allergies.

On that note, I only buy starkist - I think their quality is better than the others...

#10 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

Get StarKist tuna fillet solid light tuna in water. Ingreds light tuna water and salt. And tell them Charlie sent ya.

lol sorry I'm getting its time to eat and my blood sugar must be low.

But that's what I eat. Its in a blue can. I use hellmans mayo.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#11 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

I vaguely remember seeing someone on this board complain about the vegetable broth in canned tuna. I can't remember if it was because of the soy, or if there is actually soy sauce in the vegetable broth? I guess we need to check with the manufacturer....sigh :angry:

#12 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

There is a tuna that clearly lists wheat on the label. I know Starkist is safe, I use thiers, it may have been Chicken of the Sea. If you go to thier web site it will state which products are gluten free, but there is definitly canned tuna out there with wheat on the label.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

I can't remember which it is, but the tuna that clearly lists wheat is a flavored tuna (something like teriyaki), not the plain stuff. Vegetable broth might have soy in it, I don't know, but it does NOT have soy sauce.

richard

#14 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

there are flavoured tunas here in canada by a brand called Clover Leaf. they are all gluten-free except for one (a thai-type flavour, i don't quite recall), and, as aforementioned, it is clearly labelled.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#15 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

I've yet to find a mayo that has gluten, but I know for certain that Hellman's, Best, Kraft and Kroger are gluten-free.

richard

Just to clarify, because I'm confused: I thought that mustard was considered NOT safe for celiacs? My jar of Kraft Miracle Whip has mustard in it. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: