This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canned Tuna

myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer Explorer

I was at the store today picking up canned tuna, which I would naturally think to be safe. Bumblebee solid white tuna in water has "vegetable broth" lised as one of the ingredients. Does anyone know which if any canned tuna are safe to eat? What about mayo?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I just buy Clover Leaf tuna in water/salt. For mayonnaise, Kraft will clearly indicate gluten.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Good question...I have starkist tuna in water....mine says tuna, water, salt, and veg broth (soy beans).

lorka150 Collaborator

Whole Foods and Clover Leaf are what we have here.

par18 Apprentice
I was at the store today picking up canned tuna, which I would naturally think to be safe. Bumblebee solid white tuna in water has "vegetable broth" lised as one of the ingredients. Does anyone know which if any canned tuna are safe to eat? What about mayo?

I have eaten Bumble Bee and Starkist with no problems but if I were you I would call them to make sure all varieties are safe.

Tom

ArtGirl Enthusiast

"vegetable broth" can also mean MSG - if that's an issue with you.

To avoid potential problems I only eat tuna that has nothing else added except salt and water.

lovegrov Collaborator

All those canned tunas with "broth" are gluten-free. The vegetable broth is from just what it says -- vegetables. In fact, if you go to the website for BB, Star Kist, Chicken of the Sea, and other major brands they will tell you they are gluten-free. In fact, it's always a good idea to check websites. The only tuna I've ever found with gluten is one or two of those flavored foil packets.

I've yet to find a mayo that has gluten, but I know for certain that Hellman's, Best, Kraft and Kroger are gluten-free.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
anneleemarie Newbie

I ate some store brand tuna and got very sick to my stomach - how can I know for certain if the tuna is gluten free. What exact name brands only have water and salt in them. I'm trying hard but seem to eat something that is contaminated with wheat at least once a week - my stomach seems to be getting more atuned or sensitive the more I am on this diet.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

As Richard remarked earlier, I have not seen a Tuna or Mayo that has contained gluten...you may have other food intolerances or allergies.

On that note, I only buy starkist - I think their quality is better than the others...

bluejeangirl Contributor

Get StarKist tuna fillet solid light tuna in water. Ingreds light tuna water and salt. And tell them Charlie sent ya.

lol sorry I'm getting its time to eat and my blood sugar must be low.

But that's what I eat. Its in a blue can. I use hellmans mayo.

Gail

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I vaguely remember seeing someone on this board complain about the vegetable broth in canned tuna. I can't remember if it was because of the soy, or if there is actually soy sauce in the vegetable broth? I guess we need to check with the manufacturer....sigh :angry:

elonwy Enthusiast

There is a tuna that clearly lists wheat on the label. I know Starkist is safe, I use thiers, it may have been Chicken of the Sea. If you go to thier web site it will state which products are gluten free, but there is definitly canned tuna out there with wheat on the label.

Elonwy

lovegrov Collaborator

I can't remember which it is, but the tuna that clearly lists wheat is a flavored tuna (something like teriyaki), not the plain stuff. Vegetable broth might have soy in it, I don't know, but it does NOT have soy sauce.

richard

lorka150 Collaborator

there are flavoured tunas here in canada by a brand called Clover Leaf. they are all gluten-free except for one (a thai-type flavour, i don't quite recall), and, as aforementioned, it is clearly labelled.

• 3 years later...
Cheryl-C Enthusiast

I've yet to find a mayo that has gluten, but I know for certain that Hellman's, Best, Kraft and Kroger are gluten-free.

richard

Just to clarify, because I'm confused: I thought that mustard was considered NOT safe for celiacs? My jar of Kraft Miracle Whip has mustard in it. :unsure:

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Just to clarify, because I'm confused: I thought that mustard was considered NOT safe for celiacs? My jar of Kraft Miracle Whip has mustard in it. :unsure:

This is a really old thread from 2006, but are you talking about mustard the spice or mustard the condiment? Either one *could* have gluten but most are safe. I have seen a mustard powder (spice) mentioned here that had gluten (the brand name eludes me right now) and I have seen people post that their mustard condiments contained wheat. However, most of the mustard I have found is safe. I use mustard (in both forms) in my homemade dressings. As far as the Miracle Whip goes, Kraft has a stated policy that they will not hide any form of gluten on the label so if you don't see wheat, barley, rye or malt on a Kraft product it's likely gluten free.

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

This is a really old thread from 2006, but are you talking about mustard the spice or mustard the condiment? Either one *could* have gluten but most are safe. I have seen a mustard powder (spice) mentioned here that had gluten (the brand name eludes me right now) and I have seen people post that their mustard condiments contained wheat. However, most of the mustard I have found is safe. I use mustard (in both forms) in my homemade dressings. As far as the Miracle Whip goes, Kraft has a stated policy that they will not hide any form of gluten on the label so if you don't see wheat, barley, rye or malt on a Kraft product it's likely gluten free.

I meant either one. I was under the impression that mustard, period, contained gluten. I wish I could find the website where I read that, as it was a while ago and is no longer in my history. I've been avoiding things with mustard in them (like Heinz original baked beans, honey mustard, mayo, etc etc) because I thought they weren't safe.

Just when I thought I was finally getting everything figured out :blink:

Skylark Collaborator

When "mustard" is listed on an ingredient list in something like mayo, they mean ground mustard seed. It's a spice, with no gluten. If you buy a bottle of yellow mustard or honey mustard for sandwiches or hot dogs, you do need to check all the rest of the ingredients because sometimes they do have gluten (usually flour for texture).

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

When "mustard" is listed on an ingredient list in something like mayo, they mean ground mustard seed. It's a spice, with no gluten. If you buy a bottle of yellow mustard or honey mustard for sandwiches or hot dogs, you do need to check all the rest of the ingredients because sometimes they do have gluten (usually flour for texture).

Skylark,

Thank you for the clarification. So for something like mayo or baked beans, the mustard included in the ingredients is ok, but I have to check yellow mustard/honey mustard for wheat? wheat starch?

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

Skylark,

Thank you for the clarification. So for something like mayo or baked beans, the mustard included in the ingredients is ok, but I have to check yellow mustard/honey mustard for wheat? wheat starch?

To follow up on my last post...I went to the Heinz website and found a list of ALL their products that are gluten-free in Canada. I have to say, they have the absolute best website I've seen. It's so organized and clear!

Anyway, I guess I misunderstood what I originally read about mustard!

Also, French's claims all their mustards are gluten-free, so that's good as well. I checked my Kraft Miracle Whip again and did not see anything at all pertaining to anything gluten-y so that appears to be safe as well.

Whew! Thanks everyone for the help, sorry to hijack a thread!

psawyer Proficient

This old worry is about vinegar.

Prepared mustard (the yellow stuff in a jar or squeeze bottle) usually has vinegar. Unless it is malt vinegar, the vinegar is gluten-free. I have never seen a prepared mustard with malt vinegar. Vinegar was once thought to be unsafe for celiacs (affecting almost every condiment imaginable), but we have known for years that vinegar is safe, except for malt vinegar, which will always be labeled as "malt vinegar."

When mustard is an ingredient in a product, it is, as previously stated, ground mustard seed which is definitely gluten-free.

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks for the info about vinegar and the old gluten-free lists. I wanted to add that I have seen wheat flour occasionally in specialty gourmet mustard. It's just a case of "read the label". :)

T.H. Community Regular

Vinegar was once thought to be unsafe for celiacs (affecting almost every condiment imaginable), but we have known for years that vinegar is safe, except for malt vinegar, which will always be labeled as "malt vinegar."

I must admit, I had known too many people who have reacted to vinegar to feel safe with it. NOT because of the processing, however - I am aware that it has been determined that the processing involved in making vinegar eliminates the gluten. As I understand it, that was the original worry, wasn't it? That the processing might not remove all gluten?

But it seems to me that if you have a facility that is using wheat to make its product, then that means that it contains the same risk that any other company has if it makes a gluten free product in a gluten filled environment: contamination. I think that's a risk that seems to get ignored. Probably it seems less of an issue amidst the frustration of scientists trying to educate someone on what the science behind vinegar actually is.

I'm sure some companies do a much better job of keeping their vinegar gluten free and eliminating potential contamination situations, of course. But I'm pretty sure some don't do such a stellar job, either, especially when they are not trying to get a gluten free label for their product.

psawyer Proficient

Of course, many companies make many products, and some of them contain wheat.

When evaluating the risk, consider these factors.

Do you allow any products which contain gluten anywhere in your home? If you do, then your home is a "shared facility."

Do you have specially designated cutlery and plates, and a separate dishwasher for them? If not, then you have lots of "shared equipment."

Do you ever eat at a restaurant? If so, it is a shared facility with shared equipment.

Decide for yourself what risks you will take. If I have an adverse reaction to a food, I stop eating it. If not, I realize that I take "shared" risks on a frequent basis.

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

This old worry is about vinegar.

Prepared mustard (the yellow stuff in a jar or squeeze bottle) usually has vinegar. Unless it is malt vinegar, the vinegar is gluten-free. I have never seen a prepared mustard with malt vinegar. Vinegar was once thought to be unsafe for celiacs (affecting almost every condiment imaginable), but we have known for years that vinegar is safe, except for malt vinegar, which will always be labeled as "malt vinegar."

When mustard is an ingredient in a product, it is, as previously stated, ground mustard seed which is definitely gluten-free.

Peter, thank you for clearing this up. I was so confused and really missing mustard :( Is mustard seed, in its natural state (not ground) also gluten-free?

Archived