36 replies to this topic

#31 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

Welcome to the board. :)

I doubt the tuna is contaminated with wheat from a crop rotation. Gluten is the protein in the seed of wheat which would not get into the soy. Any wheat missed in the harvest would just be a seed on the ground and not harvested from the soy plant. I doubt they would let any wheat germinate either so it is most likely not growing there.

... My guess is it is the soy that was bothering you, or maybe the tuna?

Perhaps try tuna packed in water instead. Then there will be no chance of contamination at all.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Wi11ow

Wi11ow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

I can't eat soy either. Several brands of tuna include soy - I've been told that Costco's brand Kirkland tuna does not have soy but I haven't found it yet. Also I bought a can of Whole Foods brand chunk light tuna with out soy. I had no problem with it. If you wanted to try and see if it was the soy you were reacting to? And if it is there is a soy free mayo called Veganese  or Just Mayo by Hamilton Creek I found made with canola oil. It's pretty good.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" ~ George Bernard Shaw

#33 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

I also had a bad reaction from Tuna, I am Soy intolerant. I also read the same thing. If Soy is CC'd then why wouldn't it bother a Celiac?I will look up some of the tuna brands you all have suggested. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#34 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

Soy is a bean in a pod when it is harvested.  It cleans very well.  The soy in something,  like a can of tuna is even more processed than just eating a soy bean.    If soy cc was a legitimate issue for most Celiacs, we would be warned about it.  Perhaps you have an issue with tuna or soy or some other ingredient or thing that you eat with the tuna?

Also, most of the info about brands on this thread is at least 4 years old.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#35 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

I realize this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to add that Neptuna (in a jar) contains no wheat as an ingredient, but today after eating a jar that I had sitting around the house from prior to my diagnosis (and not thinking about the fact that I hadn't read the label prior to buying it), I had a slight reaction. When I looked at the label, it said, "May contain traces of wheat." Oops!

Apparently, it is possible that some tuna brands may contain traces of wheat. Bad on me for not double-checking the label before I ate it!

#36 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

As someone else pointed out, if you have a Costco nearby try their Kirkland brand.  Nothing in the tune except tuna, water and salt.  Excellent. 

#37 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Yea I have figured out I am Soy Intolerant. So I think it was the soy that I reacted to. Not knowing I was Soy intolerant at the time of eating the Tuna. I read it had Soy but didn't think it was a problem. I have not had any Tuna since my reaction. I have found some Tuna with out Soy in it tho. And will try it as soon as I get over the thought of when I got sick from it. LOL I am on a no packaged food diet as of now so no Tuna. Not sure when I will fall off of this band wagon. LOL 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: