This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

People Really Do Listen, Yay

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was talking to a woman today about celiac, she heard me talking to someone else about my recovery and said 'Gee that sounds like me' After we had been talking for a few minutes she mentioned her son had recently been diagnosed and had been on the diet about a month and called him over. Imagine my surprize when I recognized this young man as the one who had been shopping with his grandmother a couple months ago at the grocery store. We had gotten into a detailed conversation about celiac, (I will bring it up with anyone who will listen) and she had evidently gotten him tested and he was put on the diet. Needless to say since the Mom was undergoing testing for MS I heartily reccomended she also do the diet. Some people might think I am too pushy on the celiac issue but this time my 'sticking my nose into a strangers business' has really paid off for this family.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
I was talking to a woman today about celiac, she heard me talking to someone else about my recovery and said 'Gee that sounds like me' After we had been talking for a few minutes she mentioned her son recently been diagnosed and had been on the diet about a month and called him over. Imagine my surprize when I recognized this young man as the same one who had been shopping with his grandmother a couple months ago at the grocery store. We had gotten into a detailed conversation about celiac, (I will bring it up with anyone who will listen) and she had evidently gotten him tested and he was put on the diet. Needless to say since the Mom was undergoing testing for MS I heartily reccomended she also do the diet. Some people might think I am too pushy on the celiac issue but this time my 'sticking my nose into a strangers business' has really paid off for this family.

woooohoooo

Great... :D keep up the good work...

award yourself one gluten-free forum gold star :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow--that's great, Ravenwood!! Way to go! :D

CarlaB Enthusiast

That's great!!

GFBetsy Rookie

Good for you! And isn't it nice to know that all that talking about celiac has had a positive impact? There are conversations that I have had with people that I STILL wonder about . .. wonder if they ever did anything with the information I overwhelmed them with :lol:. So it's nice to know that sometimes those conversations do pay off!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'm known as a gluten nag on some other boards :ph34r: and to freinds and family. My family eventually listened (it was hard to deny the evidence of my recovery) but it's nice to know that sometimes the folks I don't know listen also. What's hard is when you are very sure someone needs to be gluten-free but they just say something like "well I don't eat much wheat and I feel much better" or "I had that when I was a kid and I outgrew it" and then follow it up with a list of tests for other celiac related stuff that they could most likely get rid of if they went that one step farther. Oh well it's like I used to tell my Mom when she said 'You know you can't save the world' I always replied "Oh yes I can, one little step at a time".

Guest ~jules~

My sister in law has a friend who has had gi problems for years, almost exactly the same as me. She's skinny and sickly looking, has had a colonoscopy, and got sent home with the Ibs dx. She's still sick :( The minute I was dx, I called my sis- in-law and told her about it, and asked her to pass it on to her friend. I hope she follows through with the testing...Kudos to you!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
My sister in law has a friend who has had gi problems for years, almost exactly the same as me. She's skinny and sickly looking, has had a colonoscopy, and got sent home with the Ibs dx. She's still sick :( The minute I was dx, I called my sis- in-law and told her about it, and asked her to pass it on to her friend. I hope she follows through with the testing...Kudos to you!!!

When are doctors going to understand they need to scope both ends. This happened to me also and relying on the results of the colonoscopy and the IBS diagnosis delayed my celiac diagnosis by over 5 of the most miserable years imaginable and resulted in some permanent damage. I hope she paid attention to you and doesn't just get tested but trys the diet. I never showed up in blood tests so I was almost dead before it was found.

queenofhearts Explorer

What a heart-warming story! It must make you feel so good.

I'm currently debating about mentioning this diet to a friend whose daughter is diagnosed with depression & schizophrenia. Here's the thing... her husband seems kind of celiac to me too... but he's a doctor! And very much of the pull-up-your-socks-&-no-whining persuasion. So I feel a little bit buttinski to bring it up... especially since it's kind of a long shot & her daughter doesn't fit the classic, underweight profile... but given her daughter's misery, I just feel it would be worth trying the diet. Do I even mention it? She is a very close friend, but not very health-food oriented... & I'm afraid she might take offense & think I was somehow making light of the diagnosis or disrespecting her or her husband... what would you guys do?

penguin Community Regular
What a heart-warming story! It must make you feel so good.

I'm currently debating about mentioning this diet to a friend whose daughter is diagnosed with depression & schizophrenia. Here's the thing... her husband seems kind of celiac to me too... but he's a doctor! And very much of the pull-up-your-socks-&-no-whining persuasion. So I feel a little bit buttinski to bring it up... especially since it's kind of a long shot & her daughter doesn't fit the classic, underweight profile... but given her daughter's misery, I just feel it would be worth trying the diet. Do I even mention it? She is a very close friend, but not very health-food oriented... & I'm afraid she might take offense & think I was somehow making light of the diagnosis or disrespecting her or her husband... what would you guys do?

I take the make-it-seem-like-their-idea approach. I've found this method particularly handy for doctors ;) . Bring up how much better you're feeling, and that you didn't realize how connected to everything gluten and celiac was. Casually mention that you've read that celiac can cause neuro and psychological problems, even without a classic presentation....

Then just wait for the lightbulb if it's there to be turned on, if it clicks with them, then great! If it doesn't, you were just making conversation ;)

queenofhearts Explorer

Here's the tough part-- neurology is his specialty!-- when I mentioned my diagnosis he was asking ME about neurological stuff! Balance, that sort of thing. But I don't think he's making the psychological connection. And unless he's tested himself & just not mentioned it, I think he's kind of in denial about his own symptoms. (He's very thin & has trouble with a lot of foods...)

CarlaB Enthusiast

I agree with Chelsea ... keep feeding them information on your progress and whenever you find out something new, tell them about it in a "Did you know ..." kind of way. That way you're not assuming that he doesn't know. Then, at the right time, ask if he thinks it's a possibility ... you've already set the stage for the question.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Here's the tough part-- neurology is his specialty!-- when I mentioned my diagnosis he was asking ME about neurological stuff! Balance, that sort of thing. But I don't think he's making the psychological connection. And unless he's tested himself & just not mentioned it, I think he's kind of in denial about his own symptoms. (He's very thin & has trouble with a lot of foods...)

Has he read this paper that's in this post? If not I would show it to him.

Open Original Shared Link

I hope you can find a way to bring this up.

Archived